Check out the new M44s I picked up

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

Re: Check out the new M44s I picked up

Post by zeebill »

Very nice indeed and I am sure if you take that Bubba'd stock to a gun show and price it right someone will buy that. Unfortunately many people do not feel like most of us do about refinishing stocks. I had an 02 marked stock but I don't remember whether I kept it, used it, or sold it or if it might be out in that jumble I call a shop. I will look for you next week after the show.

I feel the marks we are going to find on many Molots will define unusual in a new and different air then we are used to thus far. Whether they will make sense or can be interpreted into a history of a rifle will remain to be seen. Bill :wink:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I spy a triangle 1 stock stamp.

Nice carbines you've got there.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

When I look at your Hungarian m44 in the sling swivel refinished stock, I am reminded of a great lesson here for so many new guys that might think "what's the big deal"? Many guys who are gun guys, as designated by years of owning commercial firearms, and being great shooters, decide to get a Mosin or other milsurp, so the first thing on their mind is showing the world what a great woodworker they are. Probably fell in love with refinishing wood in a highschool shop class. These guns have dings or hidden woodgrain that should be shown in it's glory, right? Bust out the sand paper, wood stain, and polyurethane finish. Or how about the complete gun stock refinishing kits you can buy?
Then you have guys like capybara here that wants a original stock for it and it can't be found because of the rarity of it. I know that it might get annoying at times to newer members around here when the admins shut down a thread fast when the discussion shifts to refinishing, but if we didn't the whole theme of this forum would be over run in a month by all the Facebook bubbas joining up and glorifying stock refinishing. Capybara,I am glad you showed your carbine that you picked up already refinished, because guys need to understand what's at stake and why.:P
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Yes. My collector side was repulsed when I saw it, but I also saw basically a brand new Hungarian M44 that looked close to unissued as far as the metal so I was torn. I knew if I could ever hunt down a nice Hungarian stock and barrel bands, I would have a decent Hungarian M44 for my collection. In the meantime, this has become my shooter, I don't care if the stock gets dinged up at the range because I will eventually replace it. Yes, it is a shame when people feel compelled to sand and varnish over history. I think if M44s cost $1,000.00, we wouldn't have nearly as many Bubba's doing their dirty work to them but even just a few years ago, you could buy an M44 for $79.00 so they are a victim of their own low price. Bubbas figure, "a Mosin is a cheap rifle so it will be a perfect platform for me to do whatever I want to it".

Zeebill, thanks for the offer. Please do dig around and if you do have an "02" Hungarian stock, let me know, I will pay you good money for it.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I've seen some other pictures of Tulas from this batch from J&G, some very, very nice rifles. Can't wait to shoot these two.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Gashliquor wrote:
Capybara wrote:
Mohave-Tec wrote:Are you going to do anything unique with these carbines?
Just going to disassemble them, clean them and sit in the corner, stroking them, telling them, "my precious, my precious..."
Why what do you do with your M44s? :chuckles:
You have a point, I do this with my old lady though :attn:
Yeah right! If she knew you said that she'd stand you in the corner.