Mosin Nagants are NOT Ugly

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Joeinthehills

Re: Mosin Nagants are NOT Ugly

Post by Joeinthehills »

TopperT wrote:IMHO:.......as for "looks", the M39 is always a safe bet to win honors in a beauty contest, of course I'm "partial" to Finnish Gals :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
Wow! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Some of those girls have beautiful wood, mine are just so so... :Drool1:
I didn't realize that what I would consider a "Soft" wood as compared to Walnut could look sooooo very good.
Live and Learn, and I'm still learning... :vcool:
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I think they get the ugly rap for the early M91s battle worn looks, or the rushed workmanship on wartime production rifles. All in all, I think they are good looking rifles. I like the looks of the external magazine, as well as on my 1891 Mauser. My Mosins may not win any beauty contests, but don't ask for fine wine all the time either. They shoot cheap, and are simple easy rifles. Let people snub them. More for us.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The first sentence in Terence Lapin's "The Mosin Nagant Rifle" is The Mosin Nagant rifle is not an attractive firearm. It has none of the elegance of, say, the 1903 Springfield, nor is it particularly arresting in appearance. That's what I call playing both ends against the middle :lol: I, for one, never thought the '03 Springfield was the least bit attractive. I never cared much for the Garand. I loved the M-14 (still do) but hated the M-16 and still don't care much for the look. (Can you tell what era I'm from) :?: :roll: I kind of like the Mauser look but I'm afraid that in my mind they all pale to the Mosin 3-Line rifle. I mean, here is a rifle that was in production from the end of the 19th century until the 60's with hundreds of variations but it is basically the same rifle it was 100 years ago and only improved over the years. That's the coolness and historical factor. I think they are the finest looking rifle I have ever seen. I could break it down to Finns :Drool1: or Carbines :Drool1: or Long Rifles :Drool1: or the 9130 :Drool1: . They are all magnificent. :oji:
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

I have to admit I turn more heads with a Mosin at a range than any other gun. Usually I hear comments like….. What is that? then you pull the trigger everyone stops.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I really like Mosin's. They have a ton of history in them. I have shot alot of diffrent types rifles, pistols, shotguns along with other things. Most people are so uninformed about Mosins. Even the gun shops don't know. Thats how I landed here. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

ModelAUZI wrote:I have to admit I turn more heads with a Mosin at a range than any other gun. Usually I hear comments like….. What is that? then you pull the trigger everyone stops.
They are attention getters for sure. I think the most amazing thing about the Mosin Nagant family is the simplicity of the design. You can take someone who has never handled a firearm and teach them how to disassemble and reassemble a Mosin in a few minutes. They are perfectly designed to be maintained and repaired in short order with just the Mosin tool pouches :thumbsup:. This was the perfect design for the harsh Russian war conditions and largely unskilled Russian foot soldier.
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

I wholeheartedly agree. Nobody can ever tell me why they are ugly, just that they are. I think they are beautiful, varied rifles.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

ModelAUZI wrote:I have to admit I turn more heads with a Mosin at a range than any other gun. Usually I hear comments like….. What is that? then you pull the trigger everyone stops.
Last weekend at the range between my son, a friend and myself we had we had three carbines going at once. Two T53s and a M44. It went beyond "turning heads" to dirty looks when my son and my friend got into a "who can fire 20 shots the fastest" contest.
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

I could not agree more! In all honesty, I find the Mosin, of all shapes and sizes, to be the most attractive military rifle of it's time.I don't understand why folks always call them 'ugly', is it just a tend? Is it because it has to fit with the stereotype of Russian equipment as 'Ugly and rugged but reliable'? The Mosin is reliable, but it's certainly not unattractive.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Firearms are not themselves ugly, they are just tools designed for a specific purpose. Sometimes they are used to do ugly things, maybe that is the confusion among some people. Perhaps instead the light should be cast upon the souls of those who use firearms to commit ugly deeds, the black shriveled up diseased things that they surely are.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Firearms are not themselves ugly, they are just tools designed for a specific purpose. Sometimes they are used to do ugly things, maybe that is the confusion among some people. Perhaps instead the light should be cast upon the souls of those who use firearms to commit ugly deeds, the black shriveled up diseased things that they surely are.
I dunno, the Chiappa Rhino is god awful.
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

They definitely reflect the combat for which they were designed. If you've ever but stroked someone with an A Deuce you know you're better off using your fist (or maybe just glaring at them). It's a club whittled from the wood that was nearby, and nearby means everywhere from just below the arctic circle to the Far East to New England. They wrapped it's ass in metal to make it more effective at cracking skulls, they cut down it's barrel to make fit in a tank and hinged on a bayonet with REAL fighting potential, not just a knife with a ring on it. I don't think it's ugly so much as it is focused. Like a woman who shows up for a marathon without her make up on because pretty isn't what she's there for.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I think a war weary M91 is the prettiest rifle out there. Not only is it a beautiful rifle but looking it over is like reading a great book.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Chiroptile wrote:Say what you will about the AR variants.. This is one of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen..

That said, I still think the Mosin is more pleasing to the eye.

I have never been a fan of huge scopes on ars. Its a mid range rifle not a long range one so why do you need a 900x scope? (exaggeration I know) I have a simple 3x on 1 and a reflex on the other.... If you know how to shoot you don't need a huge scope
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

kamakazi339 wrote:
Chiroptile wrote:Say what you will about the AR variants.. This is one of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen..

That said, I still think the Mosin is more pleasing to the eye.

I have never been a fan of huge scopes on ars. Its a mid range rifle not a long range one so why do you need a 900x scope? (exaggeration I know) I have a simple 3x on 1 and a reflex on the other.... If you know how to shoot you don't need a huge scope

Not sure about the scope on this one.. Don't really know much about scopes in general.. Lots of things to learn, and yeah, I agree.. It does look goofy.. I know it's a match rifle and it's intended to really reach out. Just think the fit/finish on that thing is beautiful. Nice lines.
vis_ionmas_ter

Post by vis_ionmas_ter »

Mosins are incredibly sexy imo. Plus, you cant bash someones skull in with a modern polymer stock :lol: :P
Уважайте бороду
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

vis_ionmas_ter wrote:Mosins are incredibly sexy imo. Plus, you cant bash someones skull in with a modern polymer stock :lol: :P
That depends on the rifle, I have one of the polymer stocks Uncle Sam made for the M14, that one will stand up to bashing skulls in, the AR would likely come apart if you treated it like that.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
I really like Mosin's. They have a ton of history in them. I have shot alot of diffrent types rifles, pistols, shotguns along with other things. Most people are so uninformed about Mosins. Even the gun shops don't know. Thats how I landed here. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

Last week I explained the difference between a Tula and an Izhevsk to a sales clerk.

At least he wanted to learn . . .
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

Hopefully you didn't explain it until after you cleaned him out of Tula's at Izhevsk prices...
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Groundpounder wrote:Hopefully you didn't explain it until after you cleaned him out of Tula's at Izhevsk prices...
Unfortunately, I had to walk away (drag myself away) from two.

My daughter keeps talking about "Christmas" and "presents."