Need a cheap carry gun

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mogunner

Re: Need a cheap carry gun

Post by mogunner »

I've owned several Hi Points, but don't any longer, and here's why. While they were reliable (after taking care of adjusting the magazine ears on several new mags) and accurate due to the fixed barrel, I wasn't comfortable carrying one with a round chambered, as the safety on those is a sear block safety, not a striker block or a trigger disconnect. The sear is not very thick on those and a failure of the tip of it or the rear lip of the firing pin and the gun would discharge, as the striker is under full spring tension when a round has been chambered. That and the fact that the firing pin gets bent fairly often since it's used as the ejector as well, two faults that led to my selling both my .40 and the 9mm. They're heavy and clunky and very top heavy as well.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

You can't beat that price. :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

gurn

Post by gurn »

I bought a 9mm Hi-point years ago. I keep it in my John boat tied to a rope and use it to keep the boat still when I'm fishing.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

gurn wrote:I bought a 9mm Hi-point years ago. I keep it in my John boat tied to a rope and use it to keep the boat still when I'm fishing.
Yeah that's my only issue with high points there are HEAVY!! As a concealed you will know you have it, and if you run out if ammo you can throw it at the guy and knock him out.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gsragtop wrote:
gurn wrote:I bought a 9mm Hi-point years ago. I keep it in my John boat tied to a rope and use it to keep the boat still when I'm fishing.
Yeah that's my only issue with high points there are HEAVY!! As a concealed you will know you have it, and if you run out if ammo you can throw it at the guy and knock him out.
Yeah, the .380 is 6 ounces heavier than my XDs, it is 11 ounces lighter than my Ruger though so it'll feel like a featherweight right now!
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

There are few models that make a decent grappling hook also.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I love it when you are the only bidder. I have a 9mm Hi-Point carbine and it is very fun to shoot. Take it out and let us know how it shoots.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
gurn

Post by gurn »

I would like to have a H P 45 carbine to customize
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Mike

Post by Mike »

The gun shipped yesterday, I did the NICS check with my FFL yesterday evening. Being a foreigner I went to further review but as long as NICS didn't shut down with the government yesterday evening I should be able to pick it up tomorrow, (Wednesday). :mrgreen:

If NICS did shut down I'll still be able to pick it up Friday because that will be 4 days after the background check was originally called in. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

+1 for the Ruger LCP. They are pretty inexpensive (less than $300 for the basic blued version), but made well. I chose mine because it's small enough that I actually WILL carry it. It fits in my front right pants or shorts pocket (in a Nemesis pocket holster) and I virtually forget it's there (so much so, that I hope in a tense situation I remember that I'm carrying it!) There were lots of other pocket guns with a larger caliber, or bigger grip, or whatever, but they are all bigger and heavier, which means they won't fit in my pocket as easily, and will print worse.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Back pocket wallet style holster.

"Give me your money!!"

"OK. Let me get my 'wallet' out for you."

:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Now that I like! :pointdown:
Brake Weight wrote:Back pocket wallet style holster.

"Give me your money!!"

"OK. Let me get my 'wallet' out for you."

:)
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Is that an LCP? If so, what is that silver colored screw on the back end? Mine doesn't have one of those.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Looks like a keltec p3at or p32. Im guessing the silver screw was to attach a clip to carry it.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

nicholjm wrote:Is that an LCP? If so, what is that silver colored screw on the back end? Mine doesn't have one of those.
Oh yeah, I can see the "KEL-TEC" logo in the lower left of the grip. My bad, nevermind.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

KelTec makes a pocket clip that attaches to that screw, but the KelTec clip will aso fit on the Ruger LCP.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

It's my KelTec P3AT.

Abraham Lincoln
guido66

Post by guido66 »

While I own several autos in 9mm as well as .45 ,I keep my carry gun as simple as possible-point and pull the trigger,Therefore I go with a 5 shot .357 hammerless revolver with a 2" barrel