Tell me about this Mosin - my first! Believe its an M28

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tell me about this Mosin - my first! Believe its an M28

Post by Jumperwire »

Nice M28 you have there.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Real nice Finn, love that blood pitting under the blue, this rifle has been to see the elephant, probably been to see it more than once. Real piece of history, welcome to the board, the rifles just fine as it is :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It is nice. It's ok to lean toward modern rifles, and also like milsurps too. I was like that, but if you learn about these, which you already are, the history of them may change how you feel, even concerning the more common models. It seems funny to think that we are living in a time when the left over weapons of WWI and WWII are so commonly available. It won't always be that way. All you have to do is read the Facebook special interest groups to see how ignorant people can be by modifying these. Believe me, for every milsurp that is preserved, there are several more that get refinished, or get the barrel cut down, or the receiver gets drilled for a rediculous looking modern scope. If that corrosion on the barrel and rear sight on your rifle is blood pitting, that would not surprise me. I mean it doesn't look like it has been abused, and I don't see corrosion all over it. One thing is for sure, these have seen a lot of blood.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

If you refinish that rifle I will follow you and hunt you down to the fartherest corner of the earth with a killing lust in my eyes! No seriously you have a great and hard to find Finnish rifle in your hands and as others said it is worth between $300 to $500 or so. The SYI stamped in the finger groove is telling you that is an M91 stock cut down by the Finn's and modified for M28 use. The reason the S numbers are struck through tells you that rifle was transferred from the Civil Guard organization to the SA or Finnish regular army when the Civil Guard was abolished at the end of WW2. I am not sure but that they match but if the number stamped on the butt plate matches the last two numbers of the serial that rifle is dang near original to the way it was originally assembled in the late 20's which is another plus for it. Are you getting the idea now?

Marathon importing brought almost all the M28's into this country and along with the M27's a great majority of them were imported to be sold in The Rose stores down in the Carolina's. Another thing to remember is please do not go overboard in cleaning! The simple stripdown and safety check will do and video's are on this board to show you how to safely do that. Many people on here recommend a wipe down with Lemon Oil for stock care and for heavens sake keep the sand paper away from that stock as it has earned every ding and dent on it maybe even fighting through Finland's 3 separate wars during WW2. Has that made you curious to read about them and more about the great rifle you have? I sure hope so!!! When you disassemble the rifle (it is easy even I can do it) Check the underside of the tang or fartherest rear portion of the action as there may a stamping telling you when that Russian receiver was made. Yes that receiver was made by the Russians and reused by the Finnish to make that rifle. The Finn's never made any Mosin receivers and only reused Russian ones. Do not be disappointed if the underside is scrubbed and has no marks as the Finn's often did this to get the action to sit better for accuracy in the stock.

I sure hope I got your interest up on the fine rifle you have traded for and maybe got you looking for the next Finn! Warning they bare habit forming and not easy to find these days as many people now collect and shoot them! Welcome and Congrats on getting a nice rifle to start with! Bill
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

As you can see the guys around here get all riled up when there is talk of "re doing /re finishing" stocks etc. Just look at it this way that rifle is ooollld. There is a lot of history behind that old girl so don't ruin her with taking away her identity.

Enough on that welcome to the forum and believe me... youll own more than one mosin....
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

zeebill wrote:If you refinish that rifle I will follow you and hunt you down to the fartherest corner of the earth with a killing lust in my eyes! No seriously you have a great and hard to find Finnish rifle in your hands and as others said it is worth between $300 to $500 or so. The SYI stamped in the finger groove is telling you that is an M91 stock cut down by the Finn's and modified for M28 use. The reason the S numbers are struck through tells you that rifle was transferred from the Civil Guard organization to the SA or Finnish regular army when the Civil Guard was abolished at the end of WW2. I am not sure but that they match but if the number stamped on the butt plate matches the last two numbers of the serial that rifle is dang near original to the way it was originally assembled in the late 20's which is another plus for it. Are you getting the idea now?

Marathon importing brought almost all the M28's into this country and along with the M27's a great majority of them were imported to be sold in The Rose stores down in the Carolina's. Another thing to remember is please do not go overboard in cleaning! The simple stripdown and safety check will do and video's are on this board to show you how to safely do that. Many people on here recommend a wipe down with Lemon Oil for stock care and for heavens sake keep the sand paper away from that stock as it has earned every ding and dent on it maybe even fighting through Finland's 3 separate wars during WW2. Has that made you curious to read about them and more about the great rifle you have? I sure hope so!!! When you disassemble the rifle (it is easy even I can do it) Check the underside of the tang or fartherest rear portion of the action as there may a stamping telling you when that Russian receiver was made. Yes that receiver was made by the Russians and reused by the Finnish to make that rifle. The Finn's never made any Mosin receivers and only reused Russian ones. Do not be disappointed if the underside is scrubbed and has no marks as the Finn's often did this to get the action to sit better for accuracy in the stock.

I sure hope I got your interest up on the fine rifle you have traded for and maybe got you looking for the next Finn! Warning they bare habit forming and not easy to find these days as many people now collect and shoot them! Welcome and Congrats on getting a nice rifle to start with! Bill
Thanks for the great info, Bill. I will not be restoring her, just shooting the heck out of her after a clean and safety check. And you are right, this will probably not be my last Mosin.

An interesting twist to this little gun's trail to me is this: As I noted above, my brother in law traded this to me, for basically something worth $100. I had not even seen the gun when I agreed to the trade, I just wanted a Mosin. Turns out I just got lucky. However, my brother in law didn't necessarily lose out on too much, as he only paid someone (who was emptying their gun cabinet) $10 for the gun. Yes, someone sold this to him for $10. lol.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well he ripped you then. Dang brother in law...should have sold it for what he got it fer. :roll: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redrockin7

Post by redrockin7 »

Yup, but seems like I got the last laugh. :)
gurn

Post by gurn »

redrockin7 wrote:Yup, but seems like I got the last laugh. :)
Amen to that and I bet you wont ever let him forget it. :chuckles: Do you always have this kind of luck? Do you always fall face first into a pile of horse s@*! and come up with a diamond in your teeth? :lol: That is sure a score but more importantly you were smart enough to do you're research. This super hard to find rifle beat the odds and escaped the hands of Bubba! Welcome to our world. Just try and get away now. :devil2:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Very nice rifle!
I find this one interesting because of the last two digits of the serial number being stamped onto the buttplate. I thought only the model 28/30 had that feature. I guess I was wrong.
FYI - the 28/30 bayonet also had the last two digits stamped onto the pommel of the handle. I thought it was a sure way to identify a real 28/30 bayonet, but perhaps this is not totally correct either.
Thanks for a little more education!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I am pretty sure when I say it carries over to M28's too. That is the number matching the last 2 numbers of the serial on the buttplate. I am not usre this one does I still forgot to look today :oops: Bill

Yes it does match 30 and 30! That is a dang near to original setup Finnish Mosin M28! Great find and start for an extensive shooting Finnish collection! :lol:
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Nice rifle!

desdem12 wrote:The CG rifles were owned by the farmers and regular people who had to purchase their own rifle and took care of it themselves till called to duty. :D
Not actually. The rifles were owned by the Civil Guard. A guardsman was issued a rifle and was expected to look after the rifle as it was his own.
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

zeebill wrote:I am pretty sure when I say it carries over to M28's too. That is the number matching the last 2 numbers of the serial on the buttplate. I am not usre this one does I still forgot to look today :oops: Bill

Yes it does match 30 and 30! That is a dang near to original setup Finnish Mosin M28! Great find and start for an extensive shooting Finnish collection! :lol:
Yup. My M28 is the same way, though mine missed a Finn refurbishment/SA stamp somehow. I didn't even notice the numbers matched until I posted it here on the forums, haha!

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but hopefully you leave the rifle just how you found it! Wish I could find any Mosin Nagant around here for $100. Haha! Wonderful piece!

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!