Big 5 Sporting Goods

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Big 5 Sporting Goods

Post by WeldonHunter »

My first Mosin Nagant came from Big5 and they are known to be over priced. I bought mine 12 years ago. A polish M44 for $69.99 and it's a fairly nice rifle though the bore was not that hot if I remember correctly. They offered no accessories for that price either. At the time they had a deal for about $179 for one they claimed was all matching serial numbers with an ammo pouch, sling, oil can and cleaning kit. I would say the all matching numbers was a forced match gun. That said they aren't know for having quality guns. I had to return a new Mossberg 500 I got from them for an exchange because the shell extractor was hanging up on the recess it goes into. The guy at the counter tried to convince me it just needed to be broken in while he's working the action back and forth quickly. Yeah right. I told him there's no way I'm going to shoot a gun that out of the box doesn't feed correctly. They exchanged the gun.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I will have to stick up for Big 5 here a little. The regular prices are high but the sale prices are reasonable and they have sales all the time and get there mosins from the same places everyone else does. Yes sometimes the barrels are tired but i have seen good ones there too. I have a really good relationship with both stores here and can ususally get the sale price whenever i ask for it. A plus for me also is they let me check them all and also i can order one from any store that has what i want with no obligation to buy if i don't like it. A nother plus is the very cute girls behind the counter and the girls here have a really good knowledge of mosins and other milsurp rifles and if they don't they will ask me sometimes. I have never had a bad deal with Big 5 ....but i do get the GOOD treatment there and so they get some of my business. If you are lookin there strike up a convo with the managers or assitant mgrs. and see if you can't get some good deals there where you live. Just my 2 cents :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Easy for me, we have no Big 5 or anything like it around here, only small gunshops selling remchesters and looking at milsurps like something they scraped off their shoes. Not that it would stop them from charging a $75-$100 transfer fee to get you one of course .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt