Marlin Range Report

Rim Fire Firearms
ponycarman

Re: Marlin Range Report

Post by ponycarman »

I don't have a model 60 but I have a 795 and 39. I kinda like the tube mag better but I already have the 795 and like it. If I find one cheap in a pawn shop I may get a 60.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If any Marlin will turn up cheap it will be a 60, they made so many of them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I was watching a couple but they sold before I could do anything. I was looking to get one for my wife, that was when I got the old stevens bolt action. :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, we have a Model 795 from when Marlin had the mail-in rebate offer on them a while back. The shameful part is, it's still wrapped and sealed in the box :oops: :D
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

I installed this trigger and guard on my 795. Its a bit pricey considering the price of the rifle, but the plastic trigger guard was really bugging me. This really improved the look and feel of the rifle, and the adjustable trigger travel is nice.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 9&CAT=3603
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

My lateer model 60 and the 795 both have the plastic trigger guards, I don't like them at all, I may have to switch them both out.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The reality of modern production, they started with that back in the 60's. I never cared for the feel of them, or the look, but so long as they are not broke I leave them be.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

For most models there is no choice anyway as steel replacements do not exist.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The reality of modern production, they started with that back in the 60's. I never cared for the feel of them, or the look, but so long as they are not broke I leave them be.
My 69 Glenfield has a metal trigger guard. The trigger assembly also has three screws holding it in rather than the two of the later ones.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

DI Products makes some nice stuff for a lot of popular rimfires. Just good, no-nonsense upgrades, none of that colored anodized garbage that some people go nuts for on 10/22s.
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mike wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:The reality of modern production, they started with that back in the 60's. I never cared for the feel of them, or the look, but so long as they are not broke I leave them be.
My 69 Glenfield has a metal trigger guard. The trigger assembly also has three screws holding it in rather than the two of the later ones.
Yea, all during the 60's labor costs went up forcing the company's to cut back on anything requiring a lot of hand labor. Look at Winchester with the post 1964 rifles.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

breckenridge wrote:I installed this trigger and guard on my 795. Its a bit pricey considering the price of the rifle, but the plastic trigger guard was really bugging me. This really improved the look and feel of the rifle, and the adjustable trigger travel is nice.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 9&CAT=3603

Nice upgrade
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
mahduk45044

Post by mahduk45044 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Nice day. We got one of the 795's in the shop a while back. I fell in lust for it, it just felt great. I would have bought it but I still have to shoot my Marlin 60 I got in 1985 and have never shot.
You know, if you ever want to part company with that Model 60... :P
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

I like my Mod. 60 better the my 10/22.I like it so much I scouted out two more of them a while back and added them to my safe one is a Glenfield with a squirrel stock. I am always keeping an eye out for the old ones because you can usually pick them for 100$ or less. Most defiantly a good and reliable shooter. :2cents:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

My Son has a Marlin 60 and in a few months here in California, it may be classified as an "assault rifle" and have to be registered that way! :chuckles:

Actually, I'm not joking. Anything semi and holds more than 10 rounds.
Great rifle.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Seriously? Even with the tube mag?

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

Why would any body want to live there. I have an Uncle in Oroville and I ask him that and he just said, it is to humid back east. But then again he is 87 yrs. old. But it has been a 100 plus there. Not me I will take old Florida any day, humid or not.
JayPoc

Post by JayPoc »

ponycarman wrote:Its amazing picking it up after holding another rifle. Its a huge difference....
I was with a buddy at the range. I was shooting a mosin 91/30. He then handed me his ruger 10/22. After the first few trigger pulls, I asked him if it was even firing! :shock: