New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mlewis79000

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by mlewis79000 »

Howdy
fawnsworth

Post by fawnsworth »

Hi. New to Mosin's but think i'm getting lucky already. First one I got, before I did some research on here was a 1939 tula red letter mo with 1939/53 as it's markings. Last week I went to get my wife one and we ended up with a 29 tula hex. It was the last hex they had. Both of them are fully matching on serial numbers with no scratch outs or anything. Hopefully I don't buy too many more with this Mosinitis I see being discussed here.
palerider73

Post by palerider73 »

Im new here and i just need to know what a good price would for this rifle the boy want 180 buck for it but is it worth that much money or should i look somewere else
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cclark75006

NEW TO FORUM & MN Question for you.

Post by cclark75006 »

I am new to the forum and new to MN rifles. Just bought an M44 from classic and was able to sucessfully clean it up and now I am trying to find some ammo that I can use at a local outdoor rifle range. (They say lead/soft point or hollow point only) They say no FMJ, Steel Core or Military ammo.
I bought a couple of cans of the silver tip from classic but this ammo is steel case with a steel shank or core, I think, so if anyone knows a good place to buy 7.62 x 54 R ammo that rifle ranges will accept, please let me know, either on line or I live in Dallas Texas if there is a place local to me.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mlewis79000 wrote:Howdy
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fawnsworth wrote:Hi. New to Mosin's but think i'm getting lucky already. First one I got, before I did some research on here was a 1939 tula red letter mo with 1939/53 as it's markings. Last week I went to get my wife one and we ended up with a 29 tula hex. It was the last hex they had. Both of them are fully matching on serial numbers with no scratch outs or anything. Hopefully I don't buy too many more with this Mosinitis I see being discussed here.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

palerider73 wrote:Im new here and i just need to know what a good price would for this rifle the boy want 180 buck for it but is it worth that much money or should i look somewere else
Welcome to the board, the M44, or type 53 pictured is in a sporterized, or possibly aftermarket stock, not original configuration. Figure on spending another $100 on replacement original stock, bands, and handguard as well as buttplate with screws. If you can get it for a buck twenty then maybe, but unless this is a rare 1943 Izhevsk, 1944 Tula, or has some other rare feature then it's not worth $180
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: NEW TO FORUM & MN Question for you.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cclark75006 wrote:I am new to the forum and new to MN rifles. Just bought an M44 from classic and was able to sucessfully clean it up and now I am trying to find some ammo that I can use at a local outdoor rifle range. (They say lead/soft point or hollow point only) They say no FMJ, Steel Core or Military ammo.
I bought a couple of cans of the silver tip from classic but this ammo is steel case with a steel shank or core, I think, so if anyone knows a good place to buy 7.62 x 54 R ammo that rifle ranges will accept, please let me know, either on line or I live in Dallas Texas if there is a place local to me.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Welcome to the board, Privi or the other commercial hunting loads makers use lead core ammo, the surplus stuff is almost all steel core. If a magnet sticks to the bullet then it's steel core.
Theodore Roosevelt
Capitalist Pig

Post by Capitalist Pig »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Capitalist Pig wrote:Actually a returning member, owner of 3 Mosins and 2 Nagant revolvers. I have been off this board while pursuing other firearm interests, M1 Garands and such. Want to get back to the russ
The old board? RMNF changed hands in 2011, welcome back to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yes, I was on the old board. Bought my first Mosin in 2004. Started by just looking for a cheap truck gun, discovered Mosins, figured out that some of my not so distant relatives carried these in the Great Patriotic War (grandpa was from Belarus). Started reading Russian history of WWII, and even made an attempt to learn the language.
palerider73

Post by palerider73 »

Thank you that all i needed to know so i will look around and see if i can find one some were else i thought it was kind of high
PolMikeD

Post by PolMikeD »

Don't know why it took me so long to join, but here I am - I own 4 Mosin Nagants - two M44's - one Soviet - the other Polish and two 91/30's, with one of these being a PU sniper - seemingly all-matching, including WWII era scope, but I want to go through all the permutations & combinations of arsenal marks and remanufacturing notes to get the history right. According to the seller, my sniper was re-barreled in the 1960's. It's been too cold to zero it in, but the action operating and shooting, sans scope was great over iron sights.

My first was the Soviet M44 WWII production purchase for less than $100 at a PA gunshow about 6-7 years ago. I loved it from the get-go. It's accurate, loud and proud. Everytime I take it to the range and fire it everybody stops shooting and turns toward my bench due to the report and 3 foot flame blast that comes out of the end of the barrel. It's especially impressive around dusk, too. I often joke around that it should have wheels and lanyard to fire it.

I collect mostly Polish weapons but love the Soviet Mosin Nagants.

Mike
Cool Old Guns

Post by Cool Old Guns »

Hello All!
Just want to say I'm looing forward reading and learning about the Mosin from this forum. It looks like a high quality forum and I will have questions to ask. I'm new to guns (1.5 years) and purchased my first rifle, a 1943 M91-30 a few weeks ago and things will never be the same again! They are very nice and historic guns for the money.
Dave's Collection
1933 Izhevsk Hex MO/53 Laminate
1938 Tula M91-30 Laminate
1943 Izhevsk M91-30 First Mosin:)
1943 Izhevsk M91-30 Laminate
1944 Izhevsk M-44
1944 Finnish VKT M-39
craiginct

just signed up in the forum

Post by craiginct »

Hi!

Thanks for making a place for folks to discuss these amazingly historical and functional rifles. One of my neighbors got one, and loves it, so I decided to add one to my slowly growing collection. I ordered a WWII era 91/30 from J&G, and opted to use their handpicking service to 'find a good one'. I got the call today, from my local FFL, that my 'new' 91/30 is in and ready to be picked up on Friday. I asked J&G to find one that had a shiny bore, and pre-1941. Hopefully that is what they sent. The shiny bore is a no-brainer, and the pre-1941 was something that I happened across on the internet at http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm . One of the things I noticed among that information was that before 1941 the Russians seemed more interested in quality smooth machining in the breach and receiver areas, specifically in the ramp area to 'help' the round chamber smoothly. After 1941, according to that downloadable PDF, the Russians left out the tapered ramping and did a straight drilling of the breach. I like things to feed smoothly, so that is why I asked J&G to try to find the type I asked for. Anyone had experience with this particular change to Russian machining that allegedly saved the manufacturing process a lot of time and money?

As far as ammo goes, I did order some of the standard issue FMJ Russian corrosive, but haven't decided if I really want to shoot that, despite the fact that I paid less than $200 for the rifle, including with the handpick fees. I've ordered PRVI and WOLF non-corrosive JSP ammo that I think that I shall prefer to shoot, as that is what I would use for hunting anyway. That ammo will drop anything that we have around here in the woods of NE Connecticut, and then some. The laser bore sighter I ordered came in today, so that should help me get these tired old eyes on target.
I stand by God, His Word, and our State and Federal Constitutions.
I sure wish the government would do the same.

2 - 1933 Izhevsk 91/30
1 - 1938 Tula 91/30
1 - 1944r Izhevsk 91/30 ex-sniper (arsenal-welded scope holes, minus bent bolt)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, yet, that round will drop anything we have in NE Conn, or the lower Hudson Valley of NY, for hunting the commercial loads are a better choice than the FMC surplus rounds. There will also be no corrosive primer issues for you to deal with after firing one or two rounds while hunting. These are all Soviet refurbished rifles, because they were never reissued into the field after the refurb they were never broken in . Your chance of getting any sort of smooth action with a Mosin is marginal anyway, it's just not a Mosin thing. I have had both smoother actions and rough ones in the refurbs regardless of the year the barreled receiver was made. The refurbs are a mix of parts from every year the Mosin was made, but with huge wartime production totals it's likely that even a rifle made in 1930 will have some 1940's parts in it. With use the rifles wear in , fit and finish was considerably better before mid way through 1941 when the Germans attacked.
Theodore Roosevelt
Doby

Post by Doby »

Great site. I have been lurking here on and off for years when I was helping my son to ID his first Mosin carbine. We have had great fun shooting it and he has even hunted with it. Recently I too was bitten by the bug, and have bought three in the past few days. Tis site along with a couple of others is like having a library of information with a few keystrokes. Special thanks to all of you knowledgeable experts who don't know me but who have helped my son and me without even knowing it over the years. I will shortly figure out how to post photos and then show you a couple of my rifles.

All the best,
Doby Pilgrim
Santa Fe, NM

"I am the 82nd Airborne and this is as far as the bastards are coming." PFC Martin - December 1944 - Battle of the Bulge
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Doby wrote:Great site. I have been lurking here on and off for years when I was helping my son to ID his first Mosin carbine. We have had great fun shooting it and he has even hunted with it. Recently I too was bitten by the bug, and have bought three in the past few days. Tis site along with a couple of others is like having a library of information with a few keystrokes. Special thanks to all of you knowledgeable experts who don't know me but who have helped my son and me without even knowing it over the years. I will shortly figure out how to post photos and then show you a couple of my rifles.

All the best,
Doby Pilgrim
Santa Fe, NM

"I am the 82nd Airborne and this is as far as the bastards are coming." PFC Martin - December 1944 - Battle of the Bulge
Welcome to the board Doby, glad to hear we could be of use :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
JustinInYT

Post by JustinInYT »

Well, crap.

Here I was, looking all over the OT forum for the intro thread, I finally make my own - and here it is hiding in the Mosin Forum. Ooops. :chuckles:

ANyway here I am!
Deacon Krell

Post by Deacon Krell »

Hi I'm Deacon Krell I bought my first M91/30 and wondered if anyone could tell me if it is a good one.
mosin1.jpg
mosin2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asskickertom

Post by asskickertom »

Hello,
I'm Tom and I bought my first gun (an SKS) 5 days ago. And I bought my my second (a 1938 Tula Mosin) 30 minutes later.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :lol:
JustinInYT wrote:Well, crap.

Here I was, looking all over the OT forum for the intro thread, I finally make my own - and here it is hiding in the Mosin Forum. Ooops. :chuckles:

ANyway here I am!
Theodore Roosevelt