New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Darryl »

john w Ez wrote:Afternoon Gents, my son-in-law and I picked up a couple of these fine ol Russian rifles, mine dated 1943, his 1942.
Mine shot dead on at 100 meters and we have never found where his hit. So its back and get a huge sheet of cardboard and target in middle. If that don't work, I will shoot it for him.. [ and he was in the army too. :oops: ].

This is a good addition to my '03 Springfield bought some 55 years ago for 16 bucks.. I plan to leave them alone as is and enjoy just shootin um.

70 years ol this Aug and retired in the Panhandle of Texas. Just had delivered the dies for the 7.62 x 54r and hope to get things rolling if weather gets better..

Glad to meet ya'll, keep me on the straight and narrow.

John
Welcome John, Got to love Texas (we do from Calif.) Have fun here!

Dolk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

john w Ez wrote:
..., keep me on the straight and narrow.

John
Yeah, you are screwed there. Welcome aboard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

dolk wrote:
john w Ez wrote:Afternoon Gents, my son-in-law and I picked up a couple of these fine ol Russian rifles, mine dated 1943, his 1942.
Mine shot dead on at 100 meters and we have never found where his hit. So its back and get a huge sheet of cardboard and target in middle. If that don't work, I will shoot it for him.. [ and he was in the army too. :oops: ].

This is a good addition to my '03 Springfield bought some 55 years ago for 16 bucks.. I plan to leave them alone as is and enjoy just shootin um.

70 years ol this Aug and retired in the Panhandle of Texas. Just had delivered the dies for the 7.62 x 54r and hope to get things rolling if weather gets better..

Glad to meet ya'll, keep me on the straight and narrow.

John
Welcome John, Got to love Texas (we do from Calif.) Have fun here!

Dolk
Welcome to the board, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
earthquake

Post by earthquake »

New guy here,
My name is Casey and I have lived in Las Vegas since 1967.
I have had 2 M-N's for a few years now but I have not done much with them, I have a Hex receiver 91/30 and a M44. I would like to replace the barrel on the 91/30 because it looks like a mile of dirt road, it has strong rifling but is very dark grooves, I would like to find a good original barrel because I don't want to change the look. My M44 is in very good shape and the bore is bright I will be asking some questions so I hope you don't get tired of me.

Casey
a j k

Post by a j k »

Hello everyone very excited to join this forum, I have owned one mosin a 1942 izhevsk mosin 91/30 for about three years and just today i picked up my second mosin, a 1945 izhevsk m44 carbine in very good shape. Will hopefully post photos soon and I'm very interested and intrigued about mosins, I have always had a appreciation for these guns but until recently I didn't know how many different variants, makers, and countries actually made mosins.

Can't wait to learn more
Andy
Nothing better than always hearing a bang when you pull that trigger
1942 izhevsk 91/30
1945 izhevsk M44
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

earthquake wrote:New guy here,
My name is Casey and I have lived in Las Vegas since 1967.
I have had 2 M-N's for a few years now but I have not done much with them, I have a Hex receiver 91/30 and a M44. I would like to replace the barrel on the 91/30 because it looks like a mile of dirt road, it has strong rifling but is very dark grooves, I would like to find a good original barrel because I don't want to change the look. My M44 is in very good shape and the bore is bright I will be asking some questions so I hope you don't get tired of me.

Casey
Welcome to the board Casey :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Don't worry about the dark bore on that 91/30. with shooting it could still clean up some, and it will likely still shoot fine despite a dark bore, most do. Changing a barrel is something that requires a gunsmiths skill, and tools, such services do not come cheap, and in any case would permanently alter your milsurp, something that would destroy it's value.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

a j k wrote:Hello everyone very excited to join this forum, I have owned one mosin a 1942 izhevsk mosin 91/30 for about three years and just today i picked up my second mosin, a 1945 izhevsk m44 carbine in very good shape. Will hopefully post photos soon and I'm very interested and intrigued about mosins, I have always had a appreciation for these guns but until recently I didn't know how many different variants, makers, and countries actually made mosins.

Can't wait to learn more
Andy
Welcome to the board Andy, :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Chiloe

Re:Hello

Post by Chiloe »

Hello and Happy New Year to all.

My name is Christian, I am new to the forum and ... It seems that I cannot attached the file I want! Gap!

The complete text with pictures is included in the attachment! Sorry! I could not find any other way.

Regards.

Chris :geek:

[img]c:\Users\Christian\Documents\Hello%20Forum.pdf[/img]
mcrayofnc

Post by mcrayofnc »

Hello all I am new here but not new to mosins. As of today I have 5
1895 m91 (finned) 8-)
1926 Tula 91/30 ex dragoon
1936 Tula 91/30
1942 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Re:Hello

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chiloe wrote:Hello and Happy New Year to all.

My name is Christian, I am new to the forum and ... It seems that I cannot attached the file I want! Gap!

The complete text with pictures is included in the attachment! Sorry! I could not find any other way.

Regards.

Chris :geek:

[img]c:\Users\Christian\Documents\Hello%20Forum.pdf[/img]
Welcome to the board Chris, you have to reduce the file size down to 640x480 before it will post to the board
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mcrayofnc wrote:Hello all I am new here but not new to mosins. As of today I have 5
1895 m91 (finned) 8-)
1926 Tula 91/30 ex dragoon
1936 Tula 91/30
1942 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Welcome to the board, nice collection :D :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
BONH

Post by BONH »

Hello everyone! I am a newbie to this site. I just got into Mosins about a year ago. I currently have 2. A 1946 M44 and a 1934 91/30. I have no idea how to put pics on here??? I cant wait to learn all about these guns here. I look forward to chatting with you. Thank you, Ron.
ronwhj

Post by ronwhj »

Hi, I'm a new member. Can anyone tell me history of laminated stocks, such as their origin, why some rifles have them and if they are normal production? Thanks.
ronwhj

Laminated stocks

Post by ronwhj »

I'm a new member. What is the origin of laminated stocks?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Laminated stocks

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ronwhj wrote:I'm a new member. What is the origin of laminated stocks?
Welcome to the board, they are late WW2 and post war Soviet production. They didn't use them on every rifle, it was new technology at that time, at least to the Soviets. It's a way to produce strong stocks that resist warping in extreme temperatures and use scrap wood to do it.
Theodore Roosevelt
fuegoboy

Post by fuegoboy »

Привет y'all. Just picked up a 1937 M-N made at th Tula arsenal. Still cleaning it.

I am an active Black Powder and Single Action shooter but have a love of history and the weapons used throughout.
Chiloe

Re:Well... Just new to the forum...

Post by Chiloe »

Hello Everybody

Happy New Year to all. I am Christian, Just got a 91/30 and I am anxious to test it on the range.

I just finished an overhall refurbishing job on that rifle and now.... It looks perfect, like new (well......)

I did want to ask some question about markings that I cannot find anywhere on the forum. To do that, I need to post text with pictures. It seem a bit complicated on the forum, I tried PDF file etc... Copy and paste, but each time the text shows up without the pictures.

If someone can suggest a way to proceed?

Have a great weekend.

Chris :thumbsup:
ronwhj

Post by ronwhj »

Is the difficulty of using the safety on 91-30s true on basically all rifles?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ronwhj wrote:Is the difficulty of using the safety on 91-30s true on basically all rifles?
No, it's pretty much a Mosin thing. Mauser''s can be hard to use , but only when they become worn.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Re:Well... Just new to the forum...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chiloe wrote:Hello Everybody

Happy New Year to all. I am Christian, Just got a 91/30 and I am anxious to test it on the range.

I just finished an overhall refurbishing job on that rifle and now.... It looks perfect, like new (well......)

I did want to ask some question about markings that I cannot find anywhere on the forum. To do that, I need to post text with pictures. It seem a bit complicated on the forum, I tried PDF file etc... Copy and paste, but each time the text shows up without the pictures.

If someone can suggest a way to proceed?

Have a great weekend.

Chris :thumbsup:
Did you resize the pics so they are at least 640x480? they will not load if they are larger that that. I link from photobucket, it's easier, and no resizing is needed.
Theodore Roosevelt