New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

amrva wrote:Hello, my name is Tony. I just purchased a 1938 Tula made Mosin Nagant rifle in very nice condition.
Welcome to the board Tony, my first Soviet refurb M91/30 was a 1938 Tula, I lucked out and got an exceptionally good shooting rifle right out of the box first time out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Classic $99.99 B grade stock

Post by Darryl »

Luthierseye wrote:Newby here. I got the B grade 1943 wartime Izhevsk 91/30 bargain from Classic. The stock is a beat up refurb from awhile back. Is it OK to refinish it carefully leaving the arsenal marks showing? I can't be proud of the way it looks now. The barrel(not counterbored) and action are "OK to good". I cleaned it but haven't fired it so I don't know if it's a good shooter yet. So, what's the general opinion?
Read up on the forums and then read the rules. It will tell alll you need to know how we feel about these firearms.

Welcome.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The Teacher wrote:Hi All!

I've been a member of a few other forums over the years, but thought I would join here as well. Maybe I'll learn something :D

Thanks for accepting me!
I don't know, I've been here a long time and I'm "still" learning!

Welcome aboard the forums. Lots of good guys and the best collectors right here. Hands down.

dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

FieldDay wrote:Hello there. Just recently purchased my first Mosin. It's a 1944 M44. Got it for 275 with 100rds of ammo at a gun show. It is in excellent shape, VERY clean bore and relatively smooth action. The stock looks fantastic. It's all numbers matching minus the plate at the bottom of the magazine (stamped-matching) and my bolt has a few of (what I suspect to be) the tula factory stars. They're located on the safety and underneath the bolt handle. I haven't put any rounds through it yet, but have a shoot planned the first week of January.

Thanks and I hope to learn a great deal here.
sounds like a nice Mosin you got there. We would love to see photos of it, and you never know, sometimes they turn out to be pretty rare at times!

Welcome and post some photos on the forums!

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

porkyp1 wrote:just found this place. I am sure I will enjoy it. I am a red neck from Alabama and proud of it
I'm sure you will enjoy the forums!

Welcome to the boards!

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!Posting

Post by Darryl »

VietVet6566 wrote:Hi, call me Mike,just been bitten,2 weeks ago and the agony continues as I buy more.more.more. How do you stop this insanity? :angry4: :pointleft:
Hi Mike, You buy more Mosins. That will ease the problem some, but you can never get rid of it!

Welcome aboard the Mosinitis train!

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

amrva wrote:Hello, my name is Tony. I just purchased a 1938 Tula made Mosin Nagant rifle in very nice condition.
Good morning (well here and now) Tony,

38 Tula, Perfect! Clean it up and get out the camera!

Looking forward to seeing your rifle!

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Wow, did I get all of them JYD!

That was a pretty good bunch! :thumbsup:

Dolk
Bravo Tango

Post by Bravo Tango »

Hello, I am new to this forum, and new to the Mosin Nagant, But I have really developed quite a love for these old girls in a short order of time.

Here's what I've been able to learn about my mosin, any corrections or contributions to information about it, would be great!

1937 Izhevsk Arsenal born - upper barrel tang markings changed following year
Sitting in an early, pre-war stock, notable by the escutcheons and brass end caps on the upper hand guard.
serials are all matching, sans bayonet.
practically every component is stamped with the izhevsk triangle and arrow.

Likely Arsenal Refurbished in the 70's, shellac is mostly present and shinny, stock has some repairs, including a repair just behind the nose cap and above the front barrel band spring, that i saw exactly on another rifle just a few days ago, here on this forum. there is also a repair centered just under the bolt handle in the closed position, could this stock have housed a bent bolt (Sniper PU Action, that never had the scope mounted?) at some point? there is no repair to the left side of the stock, where wood would have been removed to mount the scope. there is also black touch up paint to the bluing, on the barrel and magazine plate, the paint on the barrel was concealing some pitting and rust, which i cleaned with a brass brush and hoppes9, i felt it was minor and would be just fine to shoot, would you all agree its not a problem?

also I would like to note that the bore is absolutely beautiful, shiny and clean without any pitting, but i have not been able to get a decent picture of it :( my camera phone is not the best for this! now I know another piece of equipment I need haha.

anyway, thank you in advance to you knowledgeable folks, Confident I will enjoy this forum.

FieldDay

Post by FieldDay »

dolk wrote:
FieldDay wrote:Hello there. Just recently purchased my first Mosin. It's a 1944 M44. Got it for 275 with 100rds of ammo at a gun show. It is in excellent shape, VERY clean bore and relatively smooth action. The stock looks fantastic. It's all numbers matching minus the plate at the bottom of the magazine (stamped-matching) and my bolt has a few of (what I suspect to be) the tula factory stars. They're located on the safety and underneath the bolt handle. I haven't put any rounds through it yet, but have a shoot planned the first week of January.

Thanks and I hope to learn a great deal here.
sounds like a nice Mosin you got there. We would love to see photos of it, and you never know, sometimes they turn out to be pretty rare at times!

Welcome and post some photos on the forums!

Dolk
Will do! I'll go snap a few here in a bit.
JenniferinIllinois

Post by JenniferinIllinois »

Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer (Jen) and I live in Illinois (just in case my username is a bit vague - hehehe). I am an active YouTube content creator and found out about this forum from another YouTube member who has quite a few Mosin-Nagants.

I'm a very new shooter, only starting this past June. I have always been a fan of historical firearms and recently I purchased my first M-N rifle, a 1939 Tula 1891/30. Her name is Nikita (hey, I'm a girl!) and I have yet to get her out for some shooting. I am still getting her all cleaned up and presentable. I look forward to finding out more about these rifles, as I am VERY NEW to them. I have to say though, she is a beauty. :)

Thank you for welcoming me.
Jen
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

JenniferinIllinois wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer (Jen) and I live in Illinois (just in case my username is a bit vague - hehehe). I am an active YouTube content creator and found out about this forum from another YouTube member who has quite a few Mosin-Nagants.

I'm a very new shooter, only starting this past June. I have always been a fan of historical firearms and recently I purchased my first M-N rifle, a 1939 Tula 1891/30. Her name is Nikita (hey, I'm a girl!) and I have yet to get her out for some shooting. I am still getting her all cleaned up and presentable. I look forward to finding out more about these rifles, as I am VERY NEW to them. I have to say though, she is a beauty. :)

Jen
Welcome to the board Jen, years back when I wanted to show a rifle on the board I would take 100 photographs, choose the best 15 or so, and then do the whole size down, and load thing. Then HD video came along, now I can shoot a 15 minute video of the rifle with me droning on about it, so much easier, shows everything, link the video to the board, and then go off and take a nap instead of fooling around with pics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
timothyds

Post by timothyds »

hi very happy to be a new member here I hope I can find lots of useful info tim
JenniferinIllinois

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
JenniferinIllinois wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer (Jen) and I live in Illinois (just in case my username is a bit vague - hehehe). I am an active YouTube content creator and found out about this forum from another YouTube member who has quite a few Mosin-Nagants.

Jen
Welcome to the board Jen, years back when I wanted to show a rifle on the board I would take 100 photographs, choose the best 15 or so, and then do the whole size down, and load thing. Then HD video came along, now I can shoot a 15 minute video of the rifle with me droning on about it, so much easier, shows everything, link the video to the board, and then go off and take a nap instead of fooling around with pics. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have pictures and video. I sure hope this doesn't break any rules....

Video ->
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Bravo Tango wrote:Hello, I am new to this forum, and new to the Mosin Nagant, But I have really developed quite a love for these old girls in a short order of time.

Here's what I've been able to learn about my mosin, any corrections or contributions to information about it, would be great!

1937 Izhevsk Arsenal born - upper barrel tang markings changed following year
Sitting in an early, pre-war stock, notable by the escutcheons and brass end caps on the upper hand guard.
serials are all matching, sans bayonet.
practically every component is stamped with the izhevsk triangle and arrow.

Likely Arsenal Refurbished in the 70's, shellac is mostly present and shinny, stock has some repairs, including a repair just behind the nose cap and above the front barrel band spring, that i saw exactly on another rifle just a few days ago, here on this forum. there is also a repair centered just under the bolt handle in the closed position, could this stock have housed a bent bolt (Sniper PU Action, that never had the scope mounted?) at some point? there is no repair to the left side of the stock, where wood would have been removed to mount the scope. there is also black touch up paint to the bluing, on the barrel and magazine plate, the paint on the barrel was concealing some pitting and rust, which i cleaned with a brass brush and hoppes9, i felt it was minor and would be just fine to shoot, would you all agree its not a problem?

also I would like to note that the bore is absolutely beautiful, shiny and clean without any pitting, but i have not been able to get a decent picture of it :( my camera phone is not the best for this! now I know another piece of equipment I need haha.

anyway, thank you in advance to you knowledgeable folks, Confident I will enjoy this forum.
Welcome aboard. I'm going to make a copy of this post and place it in the Main Mosin Forum if you don't mind. Some of the members don't come on this thread regularly, and I'd like them to see it!

Great post!

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

timothyds wrote:hi very happy to be a new member here I hope I can find lots of useful info tim
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
JenniferinIllinois

Dolk, thank you. I'll get the hang of things around here. All forums operate differently. :)

Thank you Junk Yard Dog.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

JenniferinIllinois wrote:Dolk, thank you. I'll get the hang of things around here. All forums operate differently. :)

Thank you Junk Yard Dog.
No problem with the video, I post them all the time. :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Hi Jen.
We love questions. Don't stop asking questions, because none of us here ever stopped asking questions! It's how we all learn.

Welcome....again!

Dolk
Ronnydog

Post by Ronnydog »

I'm a newbie and want to learn more about the guns.

Thanks ronnydog