About to enter the world of reloading :)

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
ponycarman

Re: About to enter the world of reloading :)

Post by ponycarman »

I enjoy mine. But if I'm honest I like the mosins and my lever rifles better. They just have more character.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought such things back then to piss of Clinton, and now to piss off some other people. Love my lever guns :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I bought mine because I wanted them. They are fun. But the others more so. I guess when I bought them I hadn't settled into my favorite style of firearms yet. I have no plans of getting rid of them but I have plans of getting more of the others :D
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:lol: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:thumbsup: :D

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You think guns are expensive try antique cars, specifically historic vehicles, I just paid a big chunk of change for the parts I need to fix a number of irritations on my Model A. Been filling out that order for the last two hours.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Cars are very exspensive. All about them. Thats why my pontiac has been apart for so long. The 400 is still on the stand. I have about a grand in just the pistons, piston rings, and rods lol.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Model A head gaskets seep on the sides ( not the cylinders) the cooling systems are not pressurized. I have been living with the smell of burning antifreeze for long enough, it's head gasket time, it's also leak proof waterpump time. Having the head off means stud changing time also. Special wrench is needed to get the head nut under the distributor, another $30. Might as well swap out the hoses while I have everything apart. A few other special tools were on the get list , the costs add up, but these cars are a responsibility just like the milsurps. They are a part of history and must be passed on in good condition.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yep. My t/a is not nearly as old haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

But I bet far more expensive when it shit's the bed, and requiring a technician to do the tinkering, seems there are no more mechanics and grease monkeys, just car doctors with computer devices to figure out why the thing is sick. I can rip the entire car down to it's component parts using the contents of one small tool box, sort of like field stripping the Mosin with the bolt tool :)
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I work on my cars myself. The trans am is a 79 so no computers yet. But I work on my newer stuff too. Its not harder to work on really just harder to diagnose. I'm battling my bmw 525i right now. The steering lock mechanism linkage broke and wouldn't let the key start the car. Been working on that for a while and saving to get the part. Been having to borrow a car until it is fixed. I need a truck so bad. I want something older. Late 60's to early 70's ford or chevy. Even an 80's ford or chevy wouldn't be bad.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Dodge trucks have more room in the cab back then, the 60's and early 70's Chevy trucks are a squeeze, the Fords are not as bad, but suffered like the Chevys from extensive cab rust. In the 80's Ford got cheap with the frame strength, weight saving to improve fuel economy, the damn things rust in half. I love the 70's Dodge pickups, the slant six or 318 engines were bulletproof and the cabs were comfortable.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'm open to dodge too. But they tend to be more rare in my area.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Import one off of Ebay, Russell ( Bunkysdad) had a nice one at his shop in Texas not long ago, and cheap by NY prices.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

That would be great but I have to fix this bmw first. Not sure how bad shipping is. I've never shipped a vehicle. Also I need money haha. Thats a pretty important part of the purchase :lol:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Figure a grand to $1200 to ship across most of the country.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Ick for that money I may be able to find a truck locally.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good luck with the search, but at least around were you are there should be some rust free models, here everything is gone in ten years or less.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When a rust free truck from the 70's and earlier shows up here people swarm it, you would be surprised at what they bring.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Yeah its not too hard to find them nicer here. Its just finding one that the owner doesn't think it is worth a fortune. It gets kinda ridiculous here. Truck prices are through the roof. High mileage and horrible conditions with what I think is pretty high prices.

I saw a descent looking ford the other week. I think it was a 69. Only problem was it was a long bed. I hate how they look lol. I wish I never sold my '72 chevy to my dad lol. He has destroyed it. Its so sad. :vsad:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)