Recomendations for a good hunting rifle

desdem12

Re: Recomendations for a good hunting rifle

Post by desdem12 »

Probly would work for you. I am a blackpowder hunter and the critters are big and there are a lot of them so i carry a sa 45lc ruger. I ain't small and i have learned through the years what i need to carry....mostly anyways. If i don't think i will need it on me i still put it in the truck. If your bears aren't to big a 357 will work but like i said don't shoot them in the head cause their skull is a thick heavy one. Shoot them right behind the front shoulder like a deer and they will go down. I might pump 2 or 3 in there though if they are close enough, I shoot till they go down. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Ok good. I would like to get something bigger after a while but I'm drained for gun buys right now lol. That said I have missed this years deer season here so I'm going to have to wait till next season unless I go turkey hunting. But I know even less about turkey hunting than I do about deer hunting lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

desdem12 wrote:Probly would work for you. I am a blackpowder hunter and the critters are big and there are a lot of them so i carry a sa 45lc ruger. I ain't small and i have learned through the years what i need to carry....mostly anyways. If i don't think i will need it on me i still put it in the truck. If your bears aren't to big a 357 will work but like i said don't shoot them in the head cause their skull is a thick heavy one. Shoot them right behind the front shoulder like a deer and they will go down. I might pump 2 or 3 in there though if they are close enough, I shoot till they go down. :D
That was the advice I got from an old timer years ago, he was talking about self defence shooting, once you engage the enemy you keep shooting until he is down and not moving, he also had a bunch in there about not freezing up, keep your ass moving as you shoot. If you must shoot you shoot to kill, never to wound. Works on critters also.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

For using 357 as a woods protection gun is there a certain bullet design yall recommend? I'm thinking more penetration would be good. Hard cast?

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Use the best you can afford. The biggest bullet you can and practice with it. You could use hollow point but i just use copper jacketed soft points for pennetration and mushrooming effect. I reload my own so i can get the performance that i desire. I would recomend a good jacketed soft point for yours as well but having not used any store ammo i can't say as to what to use. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Alright I'll look into different rounds. I would love to start reloading. I don't really have the space to do it though. Might have to just do it and work with what I've got space wise.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Lee makes some handloaders that don't require a bench or a press. They are inexpensive and i think you can buy them with the dies. Good luck. :D
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Could always clamp a press to the coffee table :D haha

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I live in a tiny apartment and i have a desk i made for gun stuff. But before that i drilled holes in the kitchen table to mount the press. I tried the clamping thing but was not satisfied by that. So you can tell what was more important. I would add here that i am single so i have no one to keep me in check cept my son ands he doesn't care so...? :D :D
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Lol thats awesome. I also live in a small basement apartment. Small but nice and cheap :D. I'm married though. For a little over a year. I'll figure something out. Like a tiny fold up table or something to mount a press too. Otherwise I can just get one of the hand held presses.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ponycarman wrote:Lol thats awesome. I also live in a small basement apartment. Small but nice and cheap :D. I'm married though. For a little over a year. I'll figure something out. Like a tiny fold up table or something to mount a press too. Otherwise I can just get one of the hand held presses.

This might be for you. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155024 ... ding-stand
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

For the .357's defence loads I use Federal Hydrashock, turns insides into jelly.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote:
ponycarman wrote:Lol thats awesome. I also live in a small basement apartment. Small but nice and cheap :D. I'm married though. For a little over a year. I'll figure something out. Like a tiny fold up table or something to mount a press too. Otherwise I can just get one of the hand held presses.

This might be for you. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155024 ... ding-stand
That's cool Millman. Widener's has one but it costs a bit more. They have a lot of reloading stuff and run some good sales from time to time. http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 0|212|1021
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Nice! I don't think I could make one for those prices. And it says it can be taken apart fast. Awesome thanks guys. Sweet hydrashocks! My local walmart just started carrying them too. I don't know if they have 357 but I've been thinking about getting a few boxes of 9mm for my glock.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)