Green colored PU scope

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lmc8541

Green colored PU scope

Post by lmc8541 »

are these fakes or refurbs? saw one yesterday on a '42 91/30 CH marked rescoped ex-sniper.
USMC '85-'89 Weapons Co. 1/5 SSP
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Green colored PU scope

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rescoped EX sniper.....this is a sniper that was decommissioned, had it's parts stripped, holes welded closed, and then some idiot drilled out the holes, and put sniper parts back on it. These parts are almost always reproduction.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

well i bought it. i was looking at the SOG one's. wanted a shooter to bang around with and hunt hogs with. i got it for a good price. here is a pic of the scope:

is it a true russian scope or chinese knock-off?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Post some pics of the turret but i am betting a repro. If you got it from SOG, It is 100% fake. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

not from SOG. from LGS. I know the whole config is fake. i am asking whether the scope is new production Russian or Chinese crap made to look russian. sorry for the confusion. I have a real one from RGuns. have not seen the green colored PU style scope before.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I think the fake scopes are produced in Ukraine.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Reproduction scope.

They don't sell many green one's anymore. Never under stood why they made them green. The Russians never made a green scope.

The scope was made in the same plant that the originals were made in, just a year or so ago now.
http://www.combathunting.com/MOSIN_NAGA ... SCOPE.html
lmc8541

Post by lmc8541 »

thanks, Dolk.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

lmc8541 wrote:thanks, Dolk.
Good Lord man, you are killing all the hogs off before I can even get down there this winter. Save at least one big one for me. :)
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pea soup green, reminds me of the color of a '52 Plymouth I once saw.
Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Soviets, Poles, East Germans, and Albanians all used PU scopes painted various shades of green on everything from PU snipers to artillery pieces during the Communist era.

That particular scope, however, is a fake with bogus WW2 manufacturers markings and even a fake post-war refurb marking. I think these scopes were coming out of Russia, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were Ukrainian and Chinese made ones too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Such is life, if they can make money faking something then they will.
Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I was going to post some photos one of my green Polish PU scopes that I have saved on my computer, but when I click the little "insert image" icon I get this "insert link for image" thing that requires a web address or something.... how do I post a photo from my personal photo album on my computer?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

First it has to be sized down, then hit the upload attachment button down below the reply box, under file mane it has a browse button, hit that and find the file in your computer, once you have done that then hit the add the file button, then hit the reply button.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I like the look of the green ones. Look forward to seeing a real one.

JB
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

This is a Polish made PU scope, painted the Polish green color that you also see on the buckles on Polish made slings and dog collars.

I have a couple more in my collection that are Polish re-works of WW2 Soviet scopes that are painted this color green - one still has original Soviet markings intact with Polish WZR and date refurb marking, the other has the original Soviet WW2 markings but the serial number has been milled off and a new one stamped in its place. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of these right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrb7

Post by mrb7 »

Marcus wrote:Soviets, Poles, East Germans, and Albanians all used PU scopes painted various shades of green on everything from PU snipers to artillery pieces during the Communist era.

That particular scope, however, is a fake with bogus WW2 manufacturers markings and even a fake post-war refurb marking. I think these scopes were coming out of Russia, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were Ukrainian and Chinese made ones too.

There was a Chinese vendor on eBay quite proud of their reproduction scopes that were "authentic" but made with modern 21st century multi-coated optics.

I can't remember the name now. But I'm sure you could find them without a lot of trouble if you looked.

To their credit they didn't hide the fact they were reproduction.
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A scope reproducer who didn't hide it would be a refreshing change.
Theodore Roosevelt
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I think the Chinese seller goes by "Fresh Tea" on Ebay, not sure if he is selling on Gunbroker yet. From some of the commentary I've read on other sites, he seems to be quite willing to work with collectors to get the details of his scopes and mounts as correct as possible.

Of course the problem is always the dirtball criminal fraud fakers out there, like that one in Eagle, Idaho. These swine will take known replica scopes and mounts and artifically age them, add bogus fantasy markings, etc. then mount them on fake sniper rifles to try to fool folks and pass these fakes off as original. Idaho likes to take beater-grade, sometimes borderline junk, original scopes, mate them with replica mounts manipulated to match the scopes, and then put them on his Bubba'ed up rifles. Remember, these guys are trying to fool and rob beginning and less experienced collectors, not advanced ones or experts.

It would be nice if the replica scopes and mounts had some kind of distinctive marking, or a "not real obvious but still easy to find" "replica" or "reproduction" on them somewhere.

Gary Cole had a unique, personal, marking stamped on the barrel of the replica PU snipers he imported a few years back that distinguished them from the real PU rifles he also imported, but then the Ukrainian arsenal that makes these replicas started stamping Gary's mark on all their replica rifles (not just the ones they made for Cole's) and soon the lying pimpers of fakes were all claiming that this was an original WW2 Soviet arsenal mark used only on real snipers to try to fool people and pass their rifles off as real.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Exactly the reason I will not expand my PU collecting past the Hungarian model I have has since before all this fake crap came along.
Theodore Roosevelt