New K31 pictures and need advice

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
polymerase2

Re: New K31 pictures and need advice

Post by polymerase2 »

Rongoman wrote:Price adjustment was a good choice... Especially if the one you have is nice. A bird in the hand is always worth two in the bush.

now you need to order that Walnut one. 8-)
Wow, it's like you read my mind. :shock: I used the bird in the hand to decide not to send it back. A shiny bore, a sub-4lb crisp trigger, beautiful crown, and a rough stock. Keep it! I learned that lesson when I gave my son-in-law my 43 Izhevsk. It had a mildly frosty bore but shot quite well.. It has been the best bore so far on the MN except for the M-39.

I think it is Beech. I'll double check tonight. I'm giving an exam right now.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Its beech. Interesting anomaly, it has a serial number that is 701*** that places it as a 1942. the stock has a what looks like VVI or it is more likely VII 55. Which means a 1955 stock. Right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
target

Post by target »

Sounds to me like a replacement stock. Is the serial the same as the one on the rifle itself?

Still a fantastic lookin rifle and I bet it shoots great.
entropy

Post by entropy »

A nice beech stocked K31! :vcool: I actually like beech rifle stocks, the "white drops of colors" in the grain of the stock are neat. FrankenTula™ is in a Hungarian beech M44 stock, and I like the look of it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

The bolt and the receiver match. The magazine doesn't. Is there supposed to be a serial # on the stock?
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

If it's a 42 it should originally have had a walnut stuck. Not sure if Classic was going by years and assuming they were all walnut or what. The stock is definitely a 55 if that is what is stamped under the buttplate.

There should be a serial number on the stock and the handguard where the barrel rests. This is definitely a replacement stock, so the serial number will most likely not match the receiver. If you see a number in a circle on the buttstock near the sling attachment, that will be a number telling what armory did the work. If you see a two digit number on the tang, that will tell you what year your rifle was refurbished. There could also be a two letter stamp on the tang for the arsenal.