Affordable Handgun for Concealed Carry?

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Kilroy

Re: Affordable Handgun for Concealed Carry?

Post by Kilroy »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Also, a little off topic, just noticed your photos are in front of a metric ton of mosins, lol
=P

Well, looks like I am going to go for a 1911, I am 6' 2" so I should have no problem concealing it.
Actually, Kiloy, I only own one old rusty, obsolete Russian rifle and one pistol. That was just an illusion.

Lies I tell you, All Lies... =P
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Rev 19:11"
MoSEEN.Nut

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

[quote=] and I had my jeweler put gold dots in my sights for greater visibility. (Cheaper than you would imagine)
Edit: I thought you all might like to see the results of the gold beads. The Jeweler, who is also a WWII vet, added the beads for $20.00.[/quote]

I like that touch on the sights. However being a Milsurp purist I lean away from permanent modifications on pretty much everything. My oldest suggested phosphorescent hobby paint which if you change your mind it just brushes right off. He has done that on some of the Milsurp rifles and it worked fine, especially in low light or during night shooting at the range. The gold does look nice though and seems it would work fine. In reference to other recent post(s) on home defense I have decided my "bedside" gun will be the newly acquired RIA M1911 A1. I am moving up to, and well out in, the High Desert as I speak. Believe me things go bump in the dark up there anywhere from a 1,000 legs down to two. So I decided as well as I like this gun and have got familiar with it, it's the M1911.
ttnc

Post by ttnc »

My carry gun is a sig pro 2340 in. 357. Large pistol but I am a large guy.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I'm a little late to this topic, but better late then never. Carry something you are completely confident in and will have no trouble whatsoever with if / when the worst case scenario should ever happen. For that, when one weapon is all you have with you, you need absolute reliability and confidence that your weapon will perform, and that you will perform as well under extrem stress, and duress.

With that said, do not discount a top notch DA revolver in .38 / .357 caliber. And shoot it or whatever you choose alot. All aspects of its function and possible problems, i.e. forgot to chamber a round, failure to detonate, jams, etc. need to be handled like motor memory. Its not just your life that depends on it, but may include many others. The decision to carry concealed is an awesome responsibility and I say this because I just have a hard time thinking that in a state like Colorado, no one in that movie theater had a CCW?? It could have been stopped quickly if someone had it, and the mindset and nerve to employ it to stop that crazy b@$t@rd.

Off my soap box now.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's what I was thinking when I read about that incident, even a hit to the body armor would have slowed him down if not put him down long enough to line up a better shot.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

In that price range you can rock out with your Glock out! I got a real nice LE trade in for just over $400. A model 22 which is a full size .40 but I'm a full size kinda guy sooo... :chuckles:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

MoSEEN.Nut wrote:
wrote: and I had my jeweler put gold dots in my sights for greater visibility. (Cheaper than you would imagine)
Edit: I thought you all might like to see the results of the gold beads. The Jeweler, who is also a WWII vet, added the beads for $20.00.
I like that touch on the sights. However being a Milsurp purist I lean away from permanent modifications on pretty much everything. My oldest suggested phosphorescent hobby paint which if you change your mind it just brushes right off. He has done that on some of the Milsurp rifles and it worked fine, especially in low light or during night shooting at the range. The gold does look nice though and seems it would work fine. In reference to other recent post(s) on home defense I have decided my "bedside" gun will be the newly acquired RIA M1911 A1. I am moving up to, and well out in, the High Desert as I speak. Believe me things go bump in the dark up there anywhere from a 1,000 legs down to two. So I decided as well as I like this gun and have got familiar with it, it's the M1911.
Actually my 1911 is a commercial not a historic firearm. The gold beads are just pressed into the divots in the sights and could be pried out easily, so not permanent alteration anyway. The gold was just a good light reflecting, medium, (no bling) and was just to make the sights brighter for my old eyes, and it does a good job.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It's what I was thinking when I read about that incident, even a hit to the body armor would have slowed him down if not put him down long enough to line up a better shot.
That is true Jim, that weasel would have probably crapped his pants and headed for the exit if he knew someone was shooting back at him.

I will say this though, had I been in the theater, I am not sure I could have made a successful defense with my 1911 at a target in a dark theater without shooting an innocent victim. The witnesses seemed to be consistent in reporting that the only thing they could see was the muzzle flash. The shooter had a tremendous advantage over a defensive shooter, in that every round he fired was likely to find an intended target. A defensive shooter would have to be sighting on only one target in a crowded theater full of panicky people. I would not envy anyone going pistol against a determined shooter armed with a magazine fed, semi-auto rifle. My pistol would have been drawn, but I don't know how much good I could have done.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Well said, Steve. That's my feelings exactly.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Thats why I made the statement about "mindset and nerve" . Just because one has a CCW in a traumatic situation, does not mean they can or will employ it. Strange things happen to people in fight or flight adrenalin situations. Circumstances may dictate safe use, but then only you can decide if possibly harming one more innocent yourself to take out someone who may definately harm many others if not stopped, is something your capable of doing and living with.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Not too many movies are totally dark... people didn't pay to come see a dark screen... and the light from the projector would have been to his disadvantage as well, but having shot a lot of rounds through an AR wearing a gas mask, I can say right now he wasn't aiming at anything, just hosing the place down.

But back on topic, wheres all the Ruger P95 lovers here, other than me???? DA/SA, decocker, good capacity (as long as you aren't in SOME states!) and as reliable as anything, and usually right about $320. I carry one every day all day either in a JIT slide belt holster or a nylon IWB one.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

First off I count an every day carrier as not being shot every day so keep this in mind. You don't need a new gun or an expensive gun like most people around here carry. An ordinary High Point or Kel Tec will do just fine for most people. The warrentee on a High Point is dang near unbeatable and the price is not a million dollers either. Most people say they are a piece of crap but I got one awhile back and it shot good and was dependable too. Being made with a lot of plastics makes them light too. The little Kel Tec's are getting up in price but they are perfect for a woman where ever they want to carry them. Both of these guns take a lot of abuse and criticizm but you know what a lot are sold in local gun shops and very few are complained about. It may not be a 1911 or the like but these pistols will do the job just fine. Bill :wink:
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

Gee--I like the MAK 9x18, good price, sized right, decock, double action and dead reliable like Mosin.
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I never make a move without my TaurusTCP .380 PT788, or My Ruger .357LCR Sometimes My Colt 1911 Stainless Cofficers MarkIV model 80 for witnter time.I also have a glock model 22 .40 cal. for winter cover up also.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I also don't go anywhere without my ruger lcr 357 or my little kahr cm9 9mm. I carry it everywhere it is legal too. My 357 is sitting next to me now in the consol of the work van :). Can never be to careful. And the only people who call us paranoid are the ones that don't carry and don't own firearms. Can't beat the simplicity of a revolver for concealed carry.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D