1941 Tula 91/30 refurb, with a twist

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

1941 Tula 91/30 refurb, with a twist

Post by racerguy00 »

I've really enjoyed this forum, but I haven't posted very many photos to share with everyone. I thought I would post a few of the more interesting rifles that I've been lucky to acquire in the short time I've been collecting. Some have moved on, some are still tucked away here. Here is one of the most uncommon ones that I have found. It is a Tula, 1941 91/30 refurb, but also with the Izhevsk arsenal mark on the same barrel shank. One theory is that when Tula shut down 91/30 production in '41, unused barrels were sent to Izhevsk for completion even before the German invasion. Another theory is that they were evacuated ahead of the advancing German forces. I have seen some 41 Izhevsks that look like they may have been lightly scrubbed before the wreath stamp was applied. Maybe the Tula star had been removed. This one was obviously rushed through production. I'm sure that after the invasion they didn't care about the star on it or even dating the tang. There were more important matters at hand.

I found it at a local chain store on sale for well under $100. It is an ugly refurb, so it had been passed over who knows how many times. It was one of two left from a large refurb shipment.

Anyway, enjoy. As far as I know, this is the second of the only two documented rifles so marked.

About to be captured from the wild.

You can see how the second 1 in 1941 was added after the rest

forced matched but matching bayo
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
laquak

Re: 1941 Tula 91/30 refurb, with a twist

Post by laquak »

Seems definately uses but it does look good. Are there any other years on the button of the reciver? I have another year there maybe you have one also?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You are very likely correct, and that is a fantastic find. Very few 1941 Tula 91/30's are around in any form, that was a year of abbreviated production t Tula, and one were the SVT40 had priority.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Trying to "understand" the Ruskie's and their "methods" :big shock: , has kept many a man up at night :chuckles: :chuckles: wondering just W T F over? :beek:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The months after June of 1941, and well into 1943 were years of great chaos and improvisation in the USSR, they dam near lost the war that first year.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

laquak wrote:Seems definately uses but it does look good. Are there any other years on the button of the reciver? I have another year there maybe you have one also?
The receiver isn't dated anywhere.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a very interesting rifle and an excellent find.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
The Feral Machinist

Post by The Feral Machinist »

Wow, that's a neat refurb. Congratulations.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
m198

Post by m198 »

Thanks for showing, :) Nice
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh, I love refurbs. It was a pretty invredible thing that brought them out of their crated grave and into our hands. This one has a cool little bonus. Nice rifle, might as show us the rest of what you have.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'll post some more as I can. I don't have as many anymore as I did, but I've been lucky with some uncommon ones.

I totally agree with your refurb statement. Its neat to think about.
Last edited by racerguy00 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Double :cool: :cool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)