1917 Balkan Remington

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

1917 Balkan Remington

Post by racerguy00 »

This is my favorite mosin. It is really beat, but if it could talk! It has a 4 digit serial with an added F suffix, a 1919 dated stock with the Tula 'big hammer' stamp, and initials cut into one side and a barely legible (Romanian?) name carved into the other with what seems to have been a bayonet tip. Good rifling, HORRIBLE trigger. It's weird seeing the big billboard stamp on an M91, I guess they imported a small amount a couple of years ago.

big hammer stamp

Thanks for checking it out.
Last edited by racerguy00 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
laquak

Re: 1917 Balkan Remington

Post by laquak »

Now that looks amazing. I wonder who B.D. is. It probably served him (or even her) well. Can't you just imagine?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Many of the Balkan load actually came in from Romania maybe 10 years back now, Romania was one of the poorer Iron curtain countries and the dumping ground for other west pac nations old rifles. Are there any Bulgarian pine cone stamps in the finger groove or on the buttstock? It's a nice looking rifle for sure :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

There aren't any pine cone stamps anywhere at all. I've been told that the F serial suffix is a Romanian trait though. Also, apparently that small batch imported after most of the M91s came in was from Romania also. If anyone has any other info I'd love to find out more about it.

I saw a NEW M91 with the billboard import mark on GB recently, that's the only other M91 marked that way that I have seen.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Very rustic look to the gun, congrats. Your stagecoach looks petrified, too. :shock:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

It's not as old as the rifle but it looks it. :D

Its a landmark around here. 'Turn left then take the second right past the stagecoach' :lol:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Hwo did you get Bunkysdads rifle? Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Maybe some M91s were shipped in with the refurbs. At least it is marked right. :shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)