Hey You AR Guys...

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Ban-One

Hey You AR Guys...

Post by Ban-One »

So I've been reading a lot about 20" vs 16" length AR rifles...pros vs cons. I get the increased accuracy over greater distance thing with a longer barrel but I was wondering about the gas impingement system. I have been reading with great interest some info regarding the effects of the AR gas system on the shorter carbine length vs the longer 20" length barrel for which the impingement system was designed. Have any of you who own an AR had any trouble with the gas system causing problems with carbine length barrels?
target

Re: Hey You AR Guys...

Post by target »

I had both a 20" and a 16" and personally liked the performance of the 20" but the handling of the 16". If you want to get the best of both worlds get a 16" with a rifle length gas system, they call em dissipators. That's what I would build if I got back into AR15s (into FALs for now)

Plus dissipators just look cool.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I just went with a 20".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I love my 16in mid-length. No issues at all with it yet. Easy to control and not too heavy. How much of a performance difference is there with the extra barrel length? My is far more accurate than I can be right now haha. I don't think you could go wrong with either length. Its a toss up I guess for me.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have had a carbine for 20 years, shot both live ammo and thousands of blanks through it with no problems. Like any Mattel special you have to keep it clean, do that and it will work fine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

I love that classic M16 look millman...very nice! I like the feel of the carbines but i also like the look and feel of the longer rifle. I definitely do not like the gas piston look so that option is out.I swear the hunt for these is half the fun...and I'm still hunting. I did not know about the dissapator and I will look into that, thanks for the info.

"Mattel Special" UGH...I hate it when I'm about to spend that much $$ on an AR and someone reminds me that these things are plastic. :lol: :lol: :lol: I need to hold my Mauser...
Last edited by Ban-One on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Plastic and aluminum :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Alden

Post by Alden »

I have one, 16" barrel carbin. It's fun to shoot, a b*tch to clean. I don't want another one.

There is really no difference in accuracy between 16" and 20".
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have one shorter than that, but for legality they soldered on the long flash suppressor. A Bushmaster XM15 from before the Clinton ban.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I'm looking to get one in the next few months... With all the crap going on I have a feeling I need to get it now or never. I'll be ordering some mags soon... Who offers the best ones out there. Looking for good quality & not junk.

Might get the bushmaster from Wallyworld. $899 ain't bad for an M4.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Bushmaster is good, or at least it was when I bought mine 20+ years ago. Magazines? All mine are Colt, most courtesy of the New York State Army Reserve, A friend would bring them home from time to time when he was still in years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Magpul makes good aftermarket mags.
I know Bushmasters are popular and there are a lot out there, but post one an an AR forum and be prepared to be ridiculed. There are better choices out there for pretty much the same money... I'm not sure about at Wally World though :lol:
It all depends what you think it's projected use might be.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
randver

Post by randver »

i need to build a 2nd one cause i made the mistake of letting my daughter shoot it and she thinks its hers now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bushmaster was "the bomb" in the early 90's before everyone and their sister got in on the act. I didn't care who made it, wasn't going to shoot it anyway, it's my piss off the liberals rifle :) The H2 is an Essential Arms, I don't think they are around anymore.
Theodore Roosevelt
randver

Post by randver »

mine is from a local company called JD Machine Tech
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I just saw an older bushy in the gunshop today. I didn't check it out that closely, but something looked different about it. Almost like it had a metal FAL type handguard, but maybe somebody played with it.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Ban-One wrote:I love that classic M16 look millman...very nice! I like the feel of the carbines but i also like the look and feel of the longer rifle. I definitely do not like the gas piston look so that option is out.I swear the hunt for these is half the fun...and I'm still hunting. I did not know about the dissapator and I will look into that, thanks for the info.

"Mattel Special" UGH...I hate it when I'm about to spend that much $$ on an AR and someone reminds me that these things are plastic. :lol: :lol: :lol: I need to hold my Mauser...
Thanks ban-one. I got the barrel and hand guard for free and just built the rest around those parts. It is an actual FNH M16 barrel. I have always liked the A2 configuration.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

pacanis wrote:I just saw an older bushy in the gunshop today. I didn't check it out that closely, but something looked different about it. Almost like it had a metal FAL type handguard, but maybe somebody played with it.
There are probably more dress up parts for the AR than there are for the Ruger 10/22 :)
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

i carried both while i was in the army,the 16" is good for clearing building's but i still like the 20" better because it just feels better to me.i bought a olympic and have never had a problem with it. rifle shoots anything i put in it and i pick up used colt mag's at the gunshow's for $7-$10 .i made mine look like what i carried when i went in to the army in 1980.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ISPKI

Post by ISPKI »

My buddy has one with the vietnam furniture on it as well. Although his has a 24" stainless national match barrel. I have a 16" heavy profile that is extremely accurate. My local range only goes out to 225, and it is very easy shooting small targets against the backstop. Have not had any issues with anything yet, although it is still fairly new. These guns are military grade - they are very reliable if you keep them maintained. Neglect them, and they will start having issues, just like a car.