How to Secure Your Firearms until I can acquire a Gunsafe or

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Three_Dogs

How to Secure Your Firearms until I can acquire a Gunsafe or

Post by Three_Dogs »

Guys, It has just dawned on me that I am going to need some type of storage for my growing collection of firearms/ammo. Any suggestions on any way to secure my collection until I can acquire a gunsafe? Do I really need to even go that route? Suggestions/Ideas.
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
jeremyb

Re: How to Secure Your Firearms until I can acquire a Gunsaf

Post by jeremyb »

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well! i have a gun safe, a homemade gun cabinet, and a stack on gun locker, and i have a few closets, and a wooden cabinet in the garage, and a locking closet. Will have some on the wall here in a month or 2. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

How much does this retail for and who sells these?
SDH1903

Post by SDH1903 »

I have an open beam Basement So I have deep eyelets and ski type front hooks, I lock each one with a separate coded system. These are the over flow from 5 rifles safes (2 30's 3 14's). I have dedicated one safe for ammo (30) but I will need another. I have a very nice vision system that sends pics to work where they are stored on a hard drive. You may get a gun or two minus FP, but, I will get you!-STeve
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hit the Google and find out where it is available near you. Prices in the Northeast may vary from prices on the West coast. Academy has these. Remember, a safe may deter thieves, but a highly determined thief can get them open. This is still a good product because as a gun owner you are completely responsible to secure firearms away from children. Also a good secure storage area will protect your guns from getting banged around. Also these Stack-on and similar cabinets can be bolted to the wall studs from the inside to slow someone from carrying off the whole cabinet.
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Depends on if you're protecting from toddlers, teenagers, bungling thieves or thieves who know what they're doing. I used to simply have a variety of cases and a pile of little locks with the same combination. As the collection grew and this became unmanageable I bought a safe.
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

Well, There are no children to worry about that even live around here so that is not an issue but I will acquire one as soon as I can to deter criminals. Luckily for me I do have a couple of nosey neighbors that thinks they are the county constables and they walk around in there yard packing heat. They are not bashful about investigating strange cars and people that don't belong in the area.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

DSC07117 (Medium).JPG
Well you can store them in a crate
GUN RACK 004 (Small).jpg
Or on a rack on the wall
IMAG1142 (Small).jpg
You can even store them in the closet
IMAG0693 (Small).jpg
But by all means, don't store them on the floor. :pointup: :chuckles: :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get a small document safe, the kind they sell at walmart or other box store, pull all the bolts out of the rifles and store them in the small safe in some out of the way place, put a layer of lead in the bottom of the small safe so it can't just be picked up and carried away, or bolt it to the floor. Run a bike lock cable through the triggerguards, get a steel cabinet like a school locker type deal and attach a couple of lock's to it. Use your imagination. If you know how to weld then you can easily make your own lock box out of heavy gauge steel.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

If you can afford it get a fire/water proof safe. If not, a standard gun cabinet will suffice to keep the kids out but not a determined thief.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
IH424

Post by IH424 »

Anniversary gift from the wife. Not bad for 16 years, told her I want it full by 20!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There you go :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Three_Dogs wrote:

How much does this retail for and who sells these?
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... rchID=4006
finloq

Post by finloq »

desdem12 wrote:Well! i have a gun safe, a homemade gun cabinet, and a stack on gun locker, and i have a few closets, and a wooden cabinet in the garage, and a locking closet. Will have some on the wall here in a month or 2. :D
Don't forget the ones that are stored in the same box that they arrive in.
I don't have to worry too much about rust, here in the high desert.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I don't think i have any in boxes but i may find some i forgot about here in a a month or so as i am moving things around. Like christmas all over again. I got way ahead of shooting with the buying, so some have not been shot and i know 2 have not been cleaned up yet. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Here's my little trick...if my guns come up missing I'll know it's one of you guys... :big shock:

I bought one of the Stack-on ten gun cabinets, I hesitate to call it a safe because it's only slightly thicker metal than a tin can. I installed this in the walk-in closet in the master bedroom, bolted to the floor with lag bolts and into the wall studs.

I filled it with a couple of paintball guns, a Daisy BB gun, a Crosman .22 pellet rifle and an old Slavia .177 pellet rifle....

We (I) did a bunch of work on the basement for the landlady here, she pretty much just hands me her Lowes card and tells me to go get what I need. She wanted the basement floor and walls all dry-locked, and the ceiling finished....so I built some pretty slick ''compartments" in there to store all my firearms in, there's a "secret process" to opening them, none of the kids know they're there so them blabbing to their friends isn't a concern. I keep the basement humidity down and it's always around 70° down there since I store my powder coating supplies down there as well.

I'd just like to see someone's face after they managed to cut that cabinet open to find about $30 worth of BB guns in there... :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Devious..I like it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Well, I must say the small 'document safe' idea is a great one for storing bolts!.

My wife and I divided up two bedrooms in the house. She got the "office" and I took my son's old room on the second floor and have turned the entire room into a safe. Steel security door, with industrial dead bolt. I have my rifles in racks with trigger locks on the non-military stuff, .....BUT....now I think I will simply mark each bolt and put them in a document safe. My pistols and shot guns are in safes.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

TopperT wrote:Well, I must say the small 'document safe' idea is a great one for storing bolts!.

My wife and I divided up two bedrooms in the house. She got the "office" and I took my son's old room on the second floor and have turned the entire room into a safe. Steel security door, with industrial dead bolt. I have my rifles in racks with trigger locks on the non-military stuff, .....BUT....now I think I will simply mark each bolt and put them in a document safe. My pistols and shot guns are in safes.
i took each of the 5 Mosin nagants bolts and the 3 spare bolts and tried them in all rifles. i checked head space to make sure in limits. this way i know if something happens and i would not be able to find correct bolt under pressure i cold fire any using any bolt. when things cool down i could then return correct bolt to which one it belongs in. i would probably grab the M44 first so i could cauterize their wounds, to make them suffer longer, and give them time to realize the mistake they made.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa