import # id ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
notabiker

import # id ?

Post by notabiker »

my 1905 M-91 has CAI ST AIR VT on the barrel. no long serial # .is that enough info to tell me how long ago it was imported. i was told by the seller it was more than 20 years ago.
THANKS
desdem12

Re: import # id ?

Post by desdem12 »

You can narrow it down to when it was imported by when they changed the marks. I am not sure what year that particular one is but CAI has moved since then so if you find out when they moved that may give you an idea. I believe that mark is 80s-early 90s. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

well in our own forum i found some info. i just learned that each year they started the SER # over again. so my 1905 was the 11268 made that year . did tula and Izhevsk use their own numbers . or could you have the same number from each factory ?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is a great question. I don't know the answer but i await one. I assume they just numbered from there own factory so there could be the same number from each place. ALA a #1 Tula and a #1 Izhevsk from the same year. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These M91's came in in the late 80's to the mid 90's and back then the small import mark was still OK.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Each arsenal used their own serial numbers so you could have the same number from each arsenal. And I believe the dragoons also had their own set of numbers. So I guess you could have an M91 dragoon and an M91 rifle, same arsenal, same year, same serial number.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
finloq

Post by finloq »

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

I have two Enfield rifles that I bought in a Woolworth store in Butte Montana march 1993. They probably had been imported around that time. The importer mark on mine is CAI ST ALB VT. If you look with a magnifying glass I think you will find that you miss read that as CAI ST AIR VT.
"I spent most of my money on beer and women. The rest I just wasted."
laquak

Post by laquak »

Yuck, importer marks defacing our rifles. :very mad:
notabiker

Post by notabiker »

Hombre wrote:I have two Enfield rifles that I bought in a Woolworth store in Butte Montana march 1993. They probably had been imported around that time. The importer mark on mine is CAI ST ALB VT. If you look with a magnifying glass I think you will find that you miss read that as CAI ST AIR VT.
i think you are right BUT even with a magnifying glass it could go ether way.i think the stamping is week and that makes it look like AIR. thank you for the info :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I just posted a video of the 1927 Izhevsk ex dragoon, in it I show this import mark, it's the old Century mark.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

JYD, your video shows the CAI address as Georgia Vermont. My 1980 Gun Digest shows their address to be in St. Albans Vermont.

When you have nothing else to do, you could go through your big stack of old Gun Digest publications and find the CAI address history. :idea: :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They were ruined when the shed roof went during the winter from hell ( winter before last) I lost probably 20 years worth of them along with some of my old Dixie catalogs. I had to toss out crates worth of ruined books, among other things.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

Sic transit gloria mundi :cry:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes indeed, but at least the car wasn't harmed, I had built a cage of 6x6 lumber around it in case a tree came down, it easily held up the roof bits and snow weight, but once it all started melting water was everywhere.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have a 1944 Izhevsk 91/30, the one I got from Pat Burns, covered in grease throughout, and no import mark to be found.