91/30 a fool or a good find?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Silk#2

91/30 a fool or a good find?

Post by Silk#2 »

Just bought this from a local shop and I think wow is this too good to be true or was I taken?? Tula 1930 laminated stock and hex.....looks like its never been used/fired ....how can that be?? Forgive me if pics didn't work totaly a newbee here....

Edited by Administrators
The 8
JTheBigJay

Re: 91/30 a fool or a good find?

Post by JTheBigJay »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is a 30 Tula. Nice rifle. You only got taken if you paid too much. It looks new because it has been refurbished. It has been used. Welcome to the forum.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks ok to me... :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
laquak

Post by laquak »

Fully disassemble the rifle and show us all the cool and neat markings please :) We lab pics here!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice rifle! You did fine.

Becareful showing your toes on the photos around here. We have some members with foot fetishes, and those were some lovely toes.....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Thx Mill, I know its refurb because of the lam stock , I own 2 Izzys 42 and 43 but you can tell those have been thru the mill, this one is so prestine however I'm like wow ....they did a great job with the refirb and keeping all the parts together..as for price ya i paid too much im sure $160 but i couldn't pass it up its one of the cleanest ive seen. My other 2 both have etched parts...btw love this forum..Good to see im not the only one addicted to these> hi all .....SA those are Polish/German toes...lol love a sense of humor =)
The 8
tincansailor

Post by tincansailor »

:thumbsup: very nice
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 1970-1973
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks perfectly good to me :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

That one could be an ex-dragoon too.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Post a few clear pics of the rear sight base were it meets the barrel just in front of the barrel markings, and we can see if it was an ex dragoon or not.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Silk, I can sense your excitement for finding this one. I laughed because you called yourself a newbie, but you have a pretty good idea what you got there after already having 2 others. I have a 1930 Tula also, but not quite this nice, and mine is not in a laminate stock. At 160.00 that is a fair retail price. Just look at what you got! Welcome to the forum
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Ty you all and thank you "Boss" <a term I use daily from watching NCIS too much> I do feel i am still new to the game but thanks to the web and great sites such as this one you can get all the info you need...am working out how to post picks correctly and photograph better lol. I do think this may be a Dragoon as stated...again sorry for the bad photos but will get better i'm sure..Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The 8
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

A nice refurbished, more than likley remarked, and with improved and replaced parts rifle. Some of them are done nicely better than others. I guess it all depends on the skill and mood of the person doing the refurbishment, repair, and replacement of the parts on the rifle. Most make excellent shooters if their bores are not used up in the previous service life. Many people like and collect them so if you do I guess that is a find. Prices vary from $89 on sale to whatever people are willing to pay. Enjoy your new rifle and shoot it that is what is important I guess. Congrats! Bill :wink:
martin08

Post by martin08 »

From the pic, it is still difficult to tell if there is a gap under the outer frame of the rear sight base. But the "eye" that I have to use, tells me that it is a straight M91/30, and not an ex-dragoon. Which, if that be the case, makes this one even more uncommon. Not as many of the upgraded Panshin-style guns as others.

Laminate stock refurbs command a few more bucks than a solid stock. Price is right in line with value. Nice gun, and it won't be your last - sorry to break that news to you.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

Ty martin...you are so right on that :D ...I am a collector at heart i.e. I work for Coke and have many collectables also autographs, sports memb trading cards ect ect...so I am putting this rifle into that category and will not be cleaning it or shooting it for now I am sure some ppl will not be happy with that but on that note I get to go out today and get one I can shoot :twisted: ...hope this pic is a little better..
By johnsilk at 2012-07-23
The 8
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

NCIS is a good show, and nice rifle :) < that is a Century import mark.
There is nothing wrong with not shooting your rifles, many collec tors do not shoot what they collect, there are many items in my own colelction that I do not shoot. I do most of my shooting these days with shotguns, and .22's.
Theodore Roosevelt
drabnor

Post by drabnor »

You DO have an ex-dragoon there, nice find!
a few old Russian bolt actions
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Yes, the space under the rear sight base is evident in the last pic. Ex-Dragoon, it is.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....