H&R 5200 match Rifle

Rim Fire Firearms
millman
Administrator
Administrator

H&R 5200 match Rifle

Post by millman »

I guess somebody should put something on this forum. Here are some pics of my H&R 5200 match rifle. Off of the bench it will shoot tiny little dime sized groups, but I shoot it prone mostly.(as you can tell by the not dime sized groups on the targets)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Re: H&R 5200 match Rifle

Post by desdem12 »

Those look like good groups to me. of course i can barely see them in the picture though. :P
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice rifle. I think Kari was about to buy one before he died.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bunkysdad wrote:Nice rifle. I think Kari was about to buy one before he died.
He was. I hounded him and hounded him to get it. He was working out a deal on it when he passed.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I want one! That is a nice looking shooter. Are they horribly expensive?

Dolk
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

dolk wrote:Are they horribly expensive?
Dolk
I can only speak for the military version of the H&R 5200, known as the M12 - if you can find one with a good set of original sights (Redfield Olympic front/Palma rear) for less than $400, buy it. Asking prices seem to range from $400 to 700 for clean examples - not an outrageous sum in the world of accurate rimfires, IMO. And yes, they are excellent shooters (ask me how I know :mrgreen: ).

Mike

P.S. to MIllman - nice shootin' on those targets - things get a bit more difficult shooting from prone vs. off a bench, for sure!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

dolk wrote:I want one! That is a nice looking shooter. Are they horribly expensive?

Dolk
Mine was $400 with a set of Lyman irons. I acquired the scope separately later on. I know $400 was a really good deal, but since I have never seen another 5200 for sale, I don't really know how good. I don't know if I could replace it for $700. Kari once had a line on one at one of his honey hole for $600 with a Lyman scope like the one I have. I kept telling him to get it, as it was like buying the scope, and getting a free rifle, but he never did.
The Kimber 82s from the CMP are much more available, and they seem to be good shooters as well.

C. S. Lewis
revolverguy

Post by revolverguy »

Cool looking rifle, Erik, love that long scope. Have to get me a camera, I've got a target 22, just can't remember what brand, or what safe it's in. Allen
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

Hey Erik, how do you like the external adjustments on that type of scope? Any more difficult than a scope with internal adjustments? Really nice rig BTW.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

" And yes, they are excellent shooters (ask me how I know) "

You are sure right there Mikey. Erik let me shoot it and it shoots a heck of a lot better than I do.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Hlavinka wrote:Hey Erik, how do you like the external adjustments on that type of scope? Any more difficult than a scope with internal adjustments? Really nice rig BTW.
I like the external adjustments just fine.I had my doubts about this scope at first. It is nothing like a modern scope. The bases are secure, but the scope itself has some play. Despite this, it holds zero perfectly. Some of these scopes had a spring that would hold the scope in place. Mine has a locking collar that holds it in place. I think the springs were used on a rifle with recoil, and the lock for rimfires. Adjustment is no more difficult than a modern scope. The Lyman doesn't have all of the modern lens coatings, so it is not as bright as a new scope, but the image is nice and crisp. I would recommend this scope to anyone.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Now that we have a bunch of new folks, I think I'll bump this and see if anybody else has a 5200. I have seen pics of a few, but have yet to see another one in the flesh.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:Now that we have a bunch of new folks, I think I'll bump this and see if anybody else has a 5200. I have seen pics of a few, but have yet to see another one in the flesh.
That's the only one I've seen. Thanks for bringing this back to the top. 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Man, I never get tired of looking at older match .22 rifles. Your 5200 is very nice.

This reminds me, I've got a Remington 513S that I need to get some pics of :shifty:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Izhevsk762 wrote:Man, I never get tired of looking at older match .22 rifles. Your 5200 is very nice.

This reminds me, I've got a Remington 513S that I need to get some pics of :shifty:
I'd like to see some pics of that.

C. S. Lewis
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

millman wrote:
Izhevsk762 wrote:Man, I never get tired of looking at older match .22 rifles. Your 5200 is very nice.

I'd like to see some pics of that.
I just went out and took a few decent pics of it.

But I don't want to hijack your thread, gimme a few and a new thread will be up. :)
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Hijack away I don't give a shit.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Erik are you still shooting your weekly smallbore matches?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I should take that up, the bystanders probably could use some comic relief :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt