How many of you hunt with your Mosin Nagants?

blake1084

Post by blake1084 »

I am nearly a 100% traditional bow hunter. I use mostly recurves. Well since I got a hold of these to Mosin's I am really thinking about hunting with them next year. I think the playing field will not be nearly as level as with my trad gear but, more of a challenge then my Remington 700. Do yall hunt with your 91/30's?
MN Fan

Re: How many of you hunt with your Mosin Nagants?

Post by MN Fan »

I haven't, but only because I haven't hunted in years (since moving to the city). But, I am starting to get really tempted. If I were to go hunting, I'd use one of my Mosins in a heartbeat, open sights and all :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

yeah i hunt with a m44 and a sks , i also have a long bow and a couple of hawken rifles i use as well, i am a bit traditional myself .. :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I hunt Blackpowder every year. I pretty much have the woods to myself for about 3weeks. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mosin was made to hunt the most dangerous game of all, man, and it was very good at it when used properly. Animals are nothing for it, but if you plan to hunt bear you better learn to place the shots were they will count as Mr. Bear has more muscle mass than man.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

So far I have 1 91/30 as I sold my '55 M44 years ago (dammit).

I prefer to get another 91/30 to hunt with that's in a lil more rough condition as I can't bare the idea o my 28 ex-dragoon gettin dirty :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u545dl
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

MN Fan wrote:I haven't, but only because I haven't hunted in years (since moving to the city). But, I am starting to get really tempted. If I were to go hunting, I'd use one of my Mosins in a heartbeat, open sights and all :)

Hard to draw tags in Arizona primary reason I do not get out and hunt, not that the Mosin is not up to the task but if given the opportunity I believe the old 700bdl with Redfield 4x would probably be assigned the job and with the distances out here optics help. :hunter:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

i hunted with mine hehe try getting in a tree stand with that SOB slung over your shoulder :chuckles:
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
countryboy3006

Post by countryboy3006 »

I havent hunted with mine yet cause I just got started with them but i plan on taking it out this fall to try to tag a doe for some freezer meat.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I took a small buck with my 91/30 last year. This fall I plan to carry my M44.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's been years since I hunted, but I would not hesitate to hunt with any weapon in my collection if I had to, but with a stable of commercial sporters I never had to.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Sure,I hunt the ever elusive bulls eye every other weekend! Darn near had it on Sunday.that's why they call it hunting and not killing. :D
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I took both of mine to the range and off the bench the groups were pretty wide. I'll have to try better ammo than the Russian stuff to see if the groups get tight enough where I'd feel comfortable humanely taking an animal. My K31 on the other hand...
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I will be this fall. Had one shot last fall & it was running... Strafed me through brush at about 20 yards. Way too fast to take a shot with my scoped Remington, but I would have nailed him if I had open sights. I'll do the Remington in the tree stand & if I'm walking the fields I'll carry my 91/59.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I don't hunt much anymore, but if I did, I would have to go with a scoped modern rifle like my .270 for the gun season or my H&R SB2 (Single Shot) .45-70 (also scoped) in the primitive season here in Mississippi.

The gun season is fairly short here, but the primitive season has been expanded and they now allow "single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; OR single shot, breech loading, metallic cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of those type rifles with an exposed hammer; OR single or doublebarreled muzzle-loading shotguns, with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock ignition."

With such a loose definition of weapons and calibers for "primitive" folks here are buying H&R, Thompson Center, CVA and other hammer-fired single shots in calibers never seen here previously. They hunt with them through both normal gun season and primitive season. The .35 Whelen is becoming very popular and is a devasting round (overkill) on deer, but a .45-70 is just as good with Hornady Leverevolution 325 Grain bullets. Nobody is using muzzle loaders.

I said all that to explain why I would never consider a Mosin Nagant and 7.62x54r as a viable hunting weapon for this area.
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

ask again the day after the "zombie apocalyps" :pointleft:
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'm gonna be using one of my 91/30's this next season as a backup rifle. Would be cool to get a deer with it though. I just got some nice private partisan soft point ammo in the mail today :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man i would not be affraid to use a mosin for deer, but didn't you get a new Savage not too long ago? Tough not to use that new one. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A used 336 Marlin is not that expensive, hell , they still sell them new, good deer harvesting tool, and made for the task.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

My savage is my primary rifle I'm going to use. But I'm going to sight on the mosin and take it along as a backup just in case something goes wrong with the savage. Such as optic failing out losing zero. Then I can grab the mosin. I'm very interested in getting a 336. But I don't think I want to get a newer one because I've heard of quality issues since remington bought marlin. So I would love to find an older used rifle.
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D