Big 5's Mosin special

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Celt

Re: Big 5's Mosin special

Post by Celt »

kermit wrote:i bought a 1942 Izhevsk in march and a 1938 Tula in april. they were $99 each. now they are $119 each on sale. can't wait till my C&R gets here.

One of my locals wants $179 for said 43 Izhevsk
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I bought my first Mosin back when J&G Sales had them listed in Shotgun News for 59.95. I also bought a 300 rd spam can of Hungarian heavy ball and the total sale for gun, ammo, and shipping was 126.00! A little later I ordered a M44 from a different online dealer for 99.00+ shipping. I should have ordered the 1943 dared M44, they had them for 149.00. 8-)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

desdem12 wrote:They are waaaaaayyyyy smaller, just been around since the beginning of time. have stores all over the west. Washington, oregon, california and idaho. MAybe nevada not sure. :D
Funny thing I have not bought anything in a Big 5 in over twelve years and the only firearm I ever purchased from them was a Win. Model 94 .44 lever that I ended up trading for a Hakim, 100 bucks, and 580 rnds of Israeli 8mm. Never have looked at their surplus, never even crossed my mind and there are big 5's all over the place in Arizona.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Celt

Post by Celt »

I'm from California but never bought any firearms there. If I can't look down the barrel or pull the trigger I won't buy it.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WEll!! I can tell you this about Big 5. I looked and looked and searched hard for M38s with no luck. I went to the big 5 and started talking to the gun girls and she told me they used to have the m44s and a bunch of other stuff too. She went to the office and brought out a paper with a host of nice stuff listed on it and we went thru it and i told her what i was a looking for and she said give me your fone number and i will call you if i find something. She called me back in an hour and said she had found 2 M38s and had already had them shipped from other stores. Later she found another which i still think is in the back room. I bought 2 decent 38s there and one i have shot is a dead bullseye shooter. They look to have been used and have the look. I like the big 5 here and have had good dealings with the gun girls in general. So if you are searching for something i would give the ole big 5 a chance. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

celt1314 wrote:I'm from California but never bought any firearms there. If I can't look down the barrel or pull the trigger I won't buy it.
at big 5 in kearney mesa/san diego i take out bolt and look down the bore using a flashlight. they will bring them out 2 at time from back and let me check them out. maybe you should ask if ok to do this? i went in to big5 a day after sale ended and new price posted was $217 !!!! the girl said "if you really are gonna buy one i will give it for $99.99" i looked at 2 she had and bought the 1938 Tula right then. i should have also bought the 43 i guess. but with aim and others at $89 i will get 1 when my C&R gets here.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Celt

Post by Celt »

I haven't lived there for years. I was just commenting on the post that they wouldn't let him take out the bolt. Prices are going up for sure. I stopped going to one of my favorite fun shops cuz he wanted to charge me 179 for a 43 Izhevsk that I can get on n line for 89.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Hey, I am from Oregon here, bought my first Mosin a week ago at Big 5, had no problems, they actually took it out of the box and requested that I check it out to make sure I liked it and they had no problems with me removing the bolt to check the bore with my flashlight.
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Rev 19:11"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

What part of oregon? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Oregon City, Oregon =)
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

From the BIG city. Do they have ranges over there? I have also wondered how the gun shopping is in that area. Haven't been to portland for a while but used to go alot when i was younger. :D
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

desdem12 wrote:From the BIG city. Do they have ranges over there? I have also wondered how the gun shopping is in that area. Haven't been to portland for a while but used to go alot when i was younger. :D
Not many ranges, when we go, there are some nice places in Estacada that we know of.

Gun shopping here is actually pretty good, on top of the annual gun show at the expo center we have several sporting goods stores that carry all sorts of fire arms, and a handful of pawn shops that buy and sell them too.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Sounds like bullshit to me, who would buy a rifle without a bore examination first? They must be losing themselves a lot of business, makes me wonder what they are hiding in the bore, could be sewer pipe bad.
It's just company policy to keep the lawyers at bay. Wal*Mart policy will not allow a customer to even touch a gun without a trigger lock.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

I bought a '36 Izhevsk 91/30 from Big 5 here in Spanish Fork the day after Thanksgiving. They wouldn't let me dry fire the rifle, but they told me to hang on to the receipt and they would warranty the bolt and trigger group for 1 year following purchase. Sounded good to me. The trigger and bolt were fine. :D