Enemy at the Gates, 2001

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
entropy

Re: Enemy at the Gates, 2001

Post by entropy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:So far I have learned he was crazy, under the influence of drugs, consulting with the occult, had unnatural luck ducking assassin's, consulted with a shrink, had a thing for his own niece and probably murdered her, was probably gay, had an unnatural close relationship with his mother. I found that last one funny because for years I referred to him as a mother f***** :) The Gay thing is probably true, the servants closest to him say he never touched that Eva girl, and she wasn't bad looking if empty headed. I forgot the failed artist with a secret Jewish boyfriend during his younger years. It's amazing the amount of totally useless information you can learn watching these shows, but at least I know what a well rounded totally whacked out of his ****in' mind lunatic the man was. Why the Germans bought into such a douchebag is still a mystery to me.
Watch the Nurenburg rallies, you'll get an idea.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have and watched Triumph of the will as well, people of that era were more down to earth than people today, years of war and economic downturns will do that, and yet they bought into the mans bullshit to the extent that they did. I will never understand it, not every German supported Hitler of course, but enough did to make the difference. These people cooperated with the Nazis in atrocities that would make the ancient world sit up and take notes, many of them benefited from it in various ways, many more at least knew it was going on, their claims post war that they didn't was pure horseshit. I can understand how a man like Stalin achieved and stayed in power, naked aggression, and the total willingness to kill anyone he even thought might betray him. He had an animal cunning, and was intelligent enough to make decisions that led to victory, or to delegate authority to those who could bring him victory. Hitler was at first lucky, but in the long run stupid, clearly so, even the British pulled their assassination plots because they felt Hitler would kill Germany faster than they could. There were assassination attempts, many of them, but after the disasters of 1942-1945 why wasn't the entire German population out to put the mans head on a spike regardless of the cost, French revolution style.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Mac

Post by Sgt. Mac »

Anyone know what kind of "wrap" was used on the PU's in that movie? It looked like a piece of canvas wrapped around the hand guard, and tied down with some string. The cover for the scope was different, looked like wool or somethin? May or may not be historically accurate, just wonderin. In any of the other pics I've seen of actual snipers back then their rifles didn't have any type of camouflage.
I have done so much with so little for so long, I can do anything with nothing
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Burlap sacks, old rags, rope, whatever they could find that blended in with their surroundings.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

shelter halfs.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Defiance. "We are in the bidness of killing Nazis and bidness is good." Or was it you just like Brad Pitt?
WE should put up a sticky of MOSINS in the movies. Sans Brad Pitt
Baptized by fire
My work must not be done
Cause I'm still here, baby
Only the good die young
(Jeff Williams)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That Pitt fellow wasn't in Defiance.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I believe he is confusing defiance with the basterds movie. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bastard movies? Don't think I saw it.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No movie is ever 100% historically accurate, they are made for entertainment, and to make money for their investors they have to entertain. That means bullshit will be added, real history is long periods of boring nothing punctuated by traumatizing events, all people ever want to watch are the traumatizing stuff. If real life was like that 24 hours a day we would all be insane by now.
Jim are saying Kelly's Hero's is not 100% historically accurate?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh no, the older stuff like that and anything with John Wayne in it is 100% historically accurate :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

JYD has the mosin sniper that was used in kelly's heros and it has been verified as really used in a bank robbery in france in 1944....so the story goes. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How the hell did you know I had that.......looks like it's time to sweep for listening devices again :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:How the hell did you know I had that.......looks like it's time to sweep for listening devices again :lol:

What's that old saying about being paranoid? :chuckles:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
sjsevier

Post by sjsevier »

:thumbsup:
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

Recently picked up a DVD copy of Defiance and enjoyed seeing a WWII pic on something other than the US side of things.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that the US does not have great stories to tell (I own several - and I mean several - WWII movies featuring US troops)... it's just nice to see WWII from a different perspective. That's why I own movies like "A Bridge too Far, The Man from Orange, Enemy at the Gates and A Man called Intrepid).

Defiance features two actors I truly enjoy (Daniel Craig & Liev Schreiber) and a ton of Mosin Nagants. Where can you go wrong with that?

:thumbsup:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't like sub movies like "Das Boot" and some of the others. I tend to hold my breath and almost pass out while watching!. :brolleyes: But I watch them anyways! :chuckles:

My favorite one is "Operation Petticoat" with Cary Grant. :chuckles: Just something about a "pink" sub! But my favorite "non comedy" sub movie is "The Enemy Below (1957)".

I don't care for enemy at the gates because every time a network runs it, we get a ton of "newbies" join with their "reproduction" PU snipers and we have to break the news that they have a "fake" sniper and some of them are crushed......Sucks.

Dolk
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Operation Petticoat, good sub movie and believable, I liked it. :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

Also Zulu, Zulu Dawn, Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front and Gallipoli: add to list :vcool:
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

I almost forgot, one of my all time favorites "Das Boot" The Directors Cut :!: :vcool:
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran