surpluss ammo

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sjsevier

surpluss ammo

Post by sjsevier »

Why would surpluss ammo be less accurate? Just from what Ive read on here seems like surplus is less accurate at the range.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: surpluss ammo

Post by millman »

Because it was made in vast quantities in cheap ass communist countries where quality control was probably not the best. It is "good enough" ammo. Fun to shoot, but not the same quality as handloaded or commercial ammo.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
sjsevier

Post by sjsevier »

What type of handloader do you guys use.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

i have a lee anniversary kit. I think it was around $90 shipped. You will need a few other things but that is a good start. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have been using RCBS reloading equipment since the 80's. It is tough, precise and easy to use.

The best surplus ammo I have found is from the Russian 188 factory (Novosibirsk), mid-1970's manufacture. It is consistent and accurate. I get no misfires. They make current production, non-corrosive ammo from the same factory today. It is also very good.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... groupid=40

http://www.lveplant.ru/pages_en.php?id=07
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yugo brass case, or Czech silver tip was the best for me, Hungarian light ball not far behind.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cranky CJ

Post by Cranky CJ »

I realize I'm the new guy around here but i'm going to weigh in on this one. I reload for 7 different calibers and can't reload a rifle caliber for 20 cents per round, which is what you could get this stuff for if you search hard enough. I love reloading, it is a passion, but I'm not going to reload this caliber.

Just buy a tin can of the surplus stuff and clean your gun after every outing.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Cranky CJ wrote:I realize I'm the new guy around here but i'm going to weigh in on this one. I reload for 7 different calibers and can't reload a rifle caliber for 20 cents per round, which is what you could get this stuff for if you search hard enough. I love reloading, it is a passion, but I'm not going to reload this caliber.

Just buy a tin can of the surplus stuff and clean your gun after every outing.
Not a bad choice. You can certainly get surplus cheaper. I bought a set of 7.62x54r dies (RCBS) on a whim at a gun show and I'm having fun with it. I am tailoring some light loads for my M38 carbine. I also shoot a lot of surplus, but I like my "carbine" ammo for plinking. I also use the same diameter bullet (.3105) for my Enfield rifles in .303. I can't find any cheap ammo anywhere for that caliber. It is nice sometimes to shoot non-corrosive where I can wait for a day to clean without the risk of my rifle becoming a rust bucket.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the forum CJ , I reload as well, right now I do 8mm Lebel, and several black powder cartridges, I aquired the die set, and it sits waiting for the day when surplus ammo goes away. I will go in time as we shoot it up, and the Red's aren't making any more that they will sell us cheap.
Now, as for this- " clean your gun after every outing." :)

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yugo brass case, or Czech silver tip was the best for me, Hungarian light ball not far behind.
The Hungarian light ball is what I prefer... Maybe because I have a lot of it. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I still have a spam can of it left, I found it to be dirty shooting ammo, but accurate, and surefire, I had four cases of it I think, maybe five.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

One of the reasons that some surplus is inaccurate is it is cheap machine gun fodder. Bullet sizes range from .307-.314...not the best for great accuracy out of an M/N.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130