Mfgr date of Chinese Type 56 Norinco SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Re: Mfgr date of Chinese Type 56 Norinco SKS

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

martin08 wrote:Just for some added trivia, there are no known examples of Factory /26\ guns to be found in the 15-22 million serial range (1970 to 1978). The last production came in 1979 and 1980 as 23 and 24 million serial numbered carbines. These late ones also sported a ribbed plastic handguard, which is affectionately dubbed, the "French Tickler".
You had to bring that up didn't you. Somebody will want a detailed description from you now!
Oh boy. :D
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I realize I should let sleeping dogs lay, but I believe the stamp is actually factory /316\. I enlarged and enhanced it and the first "digit" mostly resembles an "underscore A". But looking at Howie's factory stamp chart, /316\ is the closest to it.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

MN Fan wrote:I realize I should let sleeping dogs lay, but I believe the stamp is actually factory /316\. I enlarged and enhanced it and the first "digit" mostly resembles an "underscore A". But looking at Howie's factory stamp chart, /316\ is the closest to it.
You're just asking for it now.

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
martin08 wrote:Just for some added trivia, there are no known examples of Factory /26\ guns to be found in the 15-22 million serial range (1970 to 1978). The last production came in 1979 and 1980 as 23 and 24 million serial numbered carbines. These late ones also sported a ribbed plastic handguard, which is affectionately dubbed, the "French Tickler".
You had to bring that up didn't you. Somebody will want a detailed description from you now!
Oh boy. :D
Now, it's really time to let sleeping dogs lie.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

And away runs the Moose! :chuckles:
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Wolfy old boy, you may be going to the Vet before you know it. What you call an A is a Chinese 0 in a triangle. The zero will be shaped as a slanted triangle at times. The line across you are seeing is part of the metal finish when I really magnify. The symbol reads /016\.
You will be all fixed up once you get home from the Vets office. I think the Moose may need the same after his "French Tickler" comment and then
flees the scene so he doesn't have to explain it. Oh, animals. :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :D :D
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I'll buy that explanation Outlaw. Man, we gotta get these Chinese guys some better stamps!

:mrgreen:
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:I'll buy that explanation Outlaw. Man, we gotta get these Chinese guys some better stamps!

:mrgreen:
There whole intent was to confuse everyone else in every country. There intent is that we to this day stay some what confused.
These are the toughest of all to identify. Bar none Cliff.
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

Alright I threw some chalk on it and took a close up. I'm pretty sure that is 016 arsenal. I guess part of the fun is that it's a mystery as to manufacture date?! :vconfused:
IMG_1073.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

angelsfanbp wrote:Alright I threw some chalk on it and took a close up. I'm pretty sure that is 016 arsenal. I guess part of the fun is that it's a mystery as to manufacture date?! :vconfused:
IMG_1073.JPG
Very, very good. That is the trick it takes to make a light strike show up on a camera. Yes, a definite mystery, but that was fully the intent of the Chinese.
Nor would they release any info other than some arsenal 26 to any government. You need to remember with the Chinese, these were all military owned facilities. No commercial companies build their weapons. Did you know Norinco is owned by the Chinese Army? They market for the Army. Still do to this day.
Hence a lot of things they do not even want known about their weapons producing facilities and capabilities. That is why we simply do not know the dates except for the one they did tell us of out of how many?
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thank you for the updated photo. That makes it perfectly legible :)
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

I cannot believe that you guys did not give me credit for knowing what that was without a special glass:) I am after all the keeper of the codes list !!! triangle 016 is fairly common just found one for my serial number list 27011709 a high number
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

howiebearse wrote:I cannot believe that you guys did not give me credit for knowing what that was without a special glass:) I am after all the keeper of the codes list !!! triangle 016 is fairly common just found one for my serial number list 27011709 a high number
There you are! Where ya been hiding Howie?
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

been busy working at our gun club . Is there any interest here for a topic of sks Accessories like oil bottles, slings, pouches , ammunition?
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

howiebearse wrote:been busy working at our gun club . Is there any interest here for a topic of sks Accessories like oil bottles, slings, pouches , ammunition?
For me, ammunition. That old Military shop has a bunch of really old ammo he found in storage. Few boxes of this and that. You name it it seems. I wish I knew
more about early Yugo and Norinco. Old Gerald has about 20 or so full boxes of Chinese 9X18 Mak even. He also has Chinese X39 in supposedly lead core.