Pump shotgun comparo

Everything shotgun discussed here.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pump shotgun comparo

Post by bunkysdad »

About a year ago I found a near mint model 12 priced at 650.00 but even if he would have considered a offer, I was tapped out. That was the same show I found a very nice Mossberg model 44US for 225.00!. I could not get it either. I don't go to shows too often without cash to spend.
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870. I have a 1952 Wingmaster that I've been shooting trap with for 20 years. Never had a malfunction.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rule number one about shows, never go near them without cash in your pocket . Go there with twenty bucks in your pocket and you will see every rifle you ever wanted selling for "I need to pay the divorce lawyer" prices.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

i have a stevens/savage model 670 i bought in 1972 for $50 18 1/2" barrel 12 ga.i take it out and fire it once in awhile to keep it limber for HD. it looks simular to a winchester riot/trench gun and i installed a winchester heat shield/bayonet lug they were scrapping at local armory.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That Winchester heat shield is worth it's weight in gold to someone with an original trench gun that has had the shield removed.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

They want over $3,000 for the Winchester trench shotgun at my honey hole. I checked earlier this week. WWI issue.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Marlin Model 28. Almost 100 years old and still bangin'!

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's amazing how many different ways the firearms company's have come up with to make a pump shotgun. Just hear on this thread we must have twenty or more. In my own collection I have
Mossberg 500-590
Ithaca 37
Winchester '97
Winchester 12
Winchester 1200
High Standard
Nobel ( H&R 400)
Stevens ( I forget the model, but maybe 620)
That's eight different designs right there, and I know I am forgetting one or two more.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Ahh, how about the Rem 870 Express and Wingmaster Junk Yard Dog? :D

Thought you would have a couple of old Wingmasters in the back somewhere.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, I was always a Winchester and later Mossberg man, so far no Remington's have come along. I was never a real pump gun man anyway, only for defence, otherwise I love my doubles, my 1950 Stevens 530 12 gauge boxlock, or my Crescent hammer guns from the 1890's
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No, I was always a Winchester and later Mossberg man, so far no Remington's have come along. I was never a real pump gun man anyway, only for defence, otherwise I love my doubles, my 1950 Stevens 530 12 gauge boxlock, or my Crescent hammer guns from the 1890's
And people call me a 'gun nut'. :D :D Always interesting to hear about what all you have.
AllOutOfAmmo

Post by AllOutOfAmmo »

Didn't read all the replies, but I will share my experience, in terms of pumps I've had an Ithaca 37 featherlight, an 870 tactical, and an old Ted Williams Sears shotgun from the 50s that I recently acquired.
The 37 is great but if there is a failure to extract it is a major PITA to fix due to the bottom eject system, but its still a sweet gun, mine was older and was parkerized, I kind of regret trading it off.
My 870 is sweet, even though its one of the lower end 870s, its in a dual pistol grip configuration right now with an m4 style stock.
I grabbed the TW from a pawn shop for $135, put about 50 rounds through it and it still works perfectly, but the once rubber buttpad is now hard as a rock and is painful.
My friend bought a new Moss500 20ga and it was sweet, we put around 50 rounds through it and it was a blast, makes me want to get a 20ga

Here is the major difference between the 500 and 870, the ejector spring in the 870 is welded into place and must be sent to the factory if anything were to ever happen to it, which is highly unlikely, the 500 ejector is screwed in and can be replaced easily if it needed to be. Its really hard to say which is better but I think I would choose another 870 if I was buying another new pump.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That TW Sears would be a late 60's -70's shotgun, before 1961 they used the JC Higgins name on their guns, and other gear. Sears shotguns tend to be made by Winchester, Nobel, High Standard, H&R, depends on the era. I pick up a lot of these at the flea markets. People who would sell a Winchester shotgun for $400 because it is a Winchester will sell the same shotgun with the JC Higgins name on it for $100 having no idea what it actually is.
Theodore Roosevelt
AllOutOfAmmo

Post by AllOutOfAmmo »

Yeah, 60's makes more sense, I really didn't do all that much research into it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is not a lot of information to be had, at best you should be able to figure out who made the gun for Sears, do a Google search on the Sears model number.
Theodore Roosevelt