Help with unknown proof marks.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
desdem12

Re: Help with unknown proof marks.

Post by desdem12 »

Alot of those are unknown marks like unit marks and refurb marks, nobody really knows most of the marks on these. Nice rifle :vcool:
Welcome Fosgate :alien:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A lot of the marks you will find on these rifles are as yet unknown, the Soviets don't share much about their small arms production even 70 years later. Don't let the lack of refurb marks bother you, it's a refurb, one look at the red shellac tells that tale, very often this happens, they tended to be sloppy about the markings and sometimes left them off. I have seen this on several rifles. It's a nice looker, wartime Izhevsk? Most of tiny stamps will be inspection markings, the Soviets didn't unit mark their rifles, the Finns did that for a bit but soon stopped, they didn't want to give the enemy information about what troops he was facing just by picking a rifle up off the ground and reading the ID disc. Some of the tiny stamps will go back to the rifles original manufacture during the war, others will have been added during repair, or inspections before the refurb, same as with any milsurp from any country, .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tula 1942, nice :biggrin: That marking on the side with the USSR bit in it is the import mark required on all firearms imported into the USA after 1968, it's added by the importer. The Big star is Tula arsenal post 1929.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

At least the import marks look well done. Some of them are so ugly :b sad:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$99, soon will come the day when people suddenly realize that a rifle that is a refurbished .30 centerfire magazine fed bolt rifle that is capable of hitting targets at 200-600 yards is worth a hell of a lot more than $99 the shelves will empty of them. Try finding a commercial sporter that is of this quality for that money, even used it's not going to happen
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Most of these marks are inspector marks or proof marks and you will not find anything out about most of them

197 on the bolt is of coarse the serial number of the rifle without the prefix (refurbed)

I find the diamond with a 3 inside it (on the bolt) very interesting. It is common to see on Polish Mosin rifles and is a Polish acceptance mark) however, I don't think this can be the case here. And that is what is interesting.

all the stock stamps are very common marks and are thought to be inspector marks.

Mixed parts.....Tula barrel shank, Ishevsk magazine typical of a refurbished (by the Soviet arsenal) That is acceptable because it was done by the Soviets. It is common in US rifles like the M1 Garand. Mixed up parts from refurbishment.

Dolk
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

War time Tula with a low serial number for that prefix is kinda cool. Oh if it could speak.....
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:War time Tula with a low serial number for that prefix is kinda cool. Oh if it could speak.....
Yeah wouldn't that be interesting. "Two days after I got issued Ivan went off to war. I did this and that and went here and there and I didn't even get a T-shirt!"
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain