The mosin's action

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Themosinkid95

The mosin's action

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Was the mosin action copied from another design or is it in a breed all of its own?
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
desdem12

Re: The mosin's action

Post by desdem12 »

Most gun designs were stole from someone or another. Not sure about this one. Probly the french though. :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

I'm not sure at all we should look into it
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
target

Post by target »

They took quite a few hints from the French Lebel. It was the first rifle that used smokeless powder on a general scale and it was also the first to use the Spitzer bullet. The Russians must of thought this was THE rifle and when Mosin came up with his rifle and Nagant came up with that particular interrupter/ejector, the must of thought they had THE rifle as well. Quite a few similarities in the two designs as well.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Mosin - Nagant -- Mosin was a Russkie, Nagant was a Belgie, from what I understand Belgium is very like France -- so yeah, French influence was strong.

French culture influenced the Russkies long before this time. French used to be the language most of the Russian aristos spoke.
Some people are like slinkies....

They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is the 8mm Lebel cartridge, the first smokeless cartridge, the 7.62x54r would seem to have taken it's design from this.

This is the French Lebel/Berthier's bolt head, look familiar?

The Berthier bolt, similarities yes, but the overall design differs

Stock, handguard, and overall turn bolt rifle design was stolen from Mauser, everybody has always stolen rifle designs from each other, modified it to their own liking, and called it a different name. The Germans stole the smokeless powder from the French, then they stole the spitzer bullet design, then we stole the Mauser rifle design from the Germans and called it the M1903. Around and around it goes.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I read a curious article about Mosin-Nagant rifles that claimed that all of the information about the collaboration of Mosin and Nagant on the rifle was backwards. The claim was that Mosin's contribution was the magazine/interrupter and that everything else was Nagants design. The author of the article, who was a Russian/American immigrant, claimed that the information was from original documentation. The author threw insults at many of the current accepted "experts."

Who knows? In the construction industry we had a motto to attach to all "experts". It was our judgement that "Experts" were just assholes from out of town.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

No shit! And all this time I thought Al Gore invented it? A-freekin-mazing what you learn here. :mrgreen:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

TopperT wrote:No shit! And all this time I thought Al Gore invented it? A-freekin-mazing what you learn here. :mrgreen:
Gore only invented the Butt-plate.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice Steve :lol: :lol: We had a saying for experts also...EX spurts. If they claim to know it all then they must have small brains. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Hey SA. Can you copy or send a link to that radical? I don't want to argue with it I just want to see all sides.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Hey SA. Can you copy or send a link to that radical? I don't want to argue with it I just want to see all sides.
Sure thing LC: http://www.h6x.net/mosin_nagant_M1891.htm
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The link says the domain has expired???
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:I read a curious article about Mosin-Nagant rifles that claimed that all of the information about the collaboration of Mosin and Nagant on the rifle was backwards. The claim was that Mosin's contribution was the magazine/interrupter and that everything else was Nagants design. The author of the article, who was a Russian/American immigrant, claimed that the information was from original documentation. The author threw insults at many of the current accepted "experts."

Who knows? In the construction industry we had a motto to attach to all "experts". It was our judgement that "Experts" were just assholes from out of town.
I would not be surprised, the Russians have always been big supporters of " invented here" Then again now Nagant will have to explain the borrowing of French design for the bolthead, extractor, and cartridge.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt