Mosin Nagant decocker: I think not.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

I know you guys don't need this explained to you but I was surprised by the number of views I got on this video. I was more surprised to fine a guy in the comments section still trying to defend the idea of a decocker. I'm am never surprised by peoples ingenuity in finding new ways to kill themselves.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO-g7yaInXA[/BBvideo]
Last edited by sharpie443 on Tue May 15, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
desdem12

Re: Mosin Nagant decocker: I think not.

Post by desdem12 »

vid don't show up sharpie.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
sharpie443

Post by sharpie443 »

desdem12 wrote:vid don't show up sharpie.
Thats odd but you can just click on the link. i think it sometimes takes time for the imbedded video to show up. i always have problems with it.
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

OP, you are partially correct about the last part in your video. A CORRECTLY installed magazine and interrupter will prevent rim jams most of the time (and a correctly installed Finnish HV mag makes it seem to feed as well as a Mauser magazine), BUT, and this is a pretty important point, a large percentage of Mosins either have their magazines and/or interrupter incorrectly fitted to the stock and action and/or they just have sloppily made parts. Because of this, a large portion of the Mosins out there have major issues with rim jams and having the rims stacked in the clip is a must for them to feed reliably.

Another thing that can cause rim jam issues is an incorrectly tensioned interrupter, and because these rifles are almost all over 60 years old (or at least decades since their last rebuild), a lot of those springs are no longer have the correct tension. Now, this is an easy fix, but it does require some mechanical knowledge to understand.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is the first time I am hearing of this Mosin decocker shit, what kind of a ****in' idiot would accept such information. If I saw someone do that with a loaded weapon near me they would be smacked in the back of the head so hard their dentures would fly out. This comes down to the lack of mechanical ability in a society dumbed down, anyone with basic mechanical skills should be able to deduce on their own how the rifle functions, and figure out pretty quick what to do, and not to do with it. ****, this is a world top heavy with morons.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

my safety is = remove the bolt.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:This is the first time I am hearing of this Mosin decocker shit, what kind of a ****in' idiot would accept such information. If I saw someone do that with a loaded weapon near me they would be smacked in the back of the head so hard their dentures would fly out. This comes down to the lack of mechanical ability in a society dumbed down, anyone with basic mechanical skills should be able to deduce on their own how the rifle functions, and figure out pretty quick what to do, and not to do with it. ****, this is a world top heavy with morons.
Jim you're asking for people to have common sense and it's becoming a lost art. In our bubblewrap world of protecting people from themselves the end result is people stop thinking for themselves. Common sense is lost as well as personal responsibility. The herd no longer gets thinned and ultimately the whole herd is at risk. See where I'm going with this.
I thought about this post after reading it last night. You'd have to chamber a round then open the bolt with a live round then rechamber it partially....and pull the trigger. To what end? So you can have a loaded gun with no way of firing it unless you recocked. Makes no sense. What does make sense is it's dangerous as hell to do with a live round no matter where you are, in the house or at a range.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kermit
ban
ban

Post by kermit »

to recock you can pull back on bolt cocking piece instead of using bolt handle. but it is still not safe to do as firing pin moves forward when trigger is pulled. unsafe practice.
Camping is cheaper than therapy. San Diego,ca. usa
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thats what I was thinking. Recocking isn't the problem its the fireing pin sitting against the primer.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm glad I watched the video, I had no idea you could open the bottom of the magazine. :)
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

If you couldn't open the bottom of the magazine, how are you going to get the pliers out LOL!!! (reference to redneck video)
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have never heard of this being a decocker either. Some people and their minds...sheesh. It is ok for the herd to get thinned but some times they accidently thin you instead of themselves :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This years Darwin award goes to .....Mosin decocker guy.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Why would anyone thinks that decocks the rifle?

Definitely not safe!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Who the hell sits around and has time to figure out different ways to maim or kill yourself? The stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

Double post
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You would literally have to be a fool and have no care for your own safety and the safety of others to try such a thing. It amazes me what goes through peoples minds trying such shit.
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

:big shock: WOW...Now there's an accident waiting to happen.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Longcolt44 wrote:Who the hell sits around and has time to figure out different ways to maim or kill yourself? The stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me.
Bubba.
Theodore Roosevelt
popgun

Post by popgun »

oh my!! do you not look down the barrel of a loaded gun and pull the trigger or what ever that thing is to see if it SHOOTS! popgun :popgun: :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :devil2: