Yay for bruised shoulders!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ohm

Post by ohm »

Took the M44 out today and shot it, went through about 50 rounds and noticed I was working on a pretty good bruise :chuckles: So I switched over to shooting my 22. There were a couple other gentlemen out today and in exchange for letting one of them run a magazine through my Mosin, one was enough for him, they let me pop off a couple pigeons with their 12 gauge, yep the M44 hits much harder :twisted:
tjtM38

Re: Yay for bruised shoulders!

Post by tjtM38 »

I was shooting a M1 carbine the other day and a guy pulled up to the bench next to me with a 300 Win Mag Remington bolt action. He said, "better get your ear protection on, this thing has a lot of noise and muzzle blast." After shooting the M1 carbine, I pulled out my M44 and told him, "better get your ear protection on, this thing is louder than your 300 Win Mag." He just lauged me off until I let fly with a stripper clip of surplus Bulgarian. Then he wasn't laughing anymore; he was just sitting there in awe staring at my vintage Russian WWII weapon..... :big shock:
popgun

Post by popgun »

didyou say you POPED off some rounds. hope he is not deaf. had 2 m1carbenes.loved both. the fire out of the mosin is something eles. popgun :pop: :popgun: :pop had to reload. :popgun: :popgun:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

sheeeesh ...a piddly ass 300 win mag :roll: :lol: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
popgun

Post by popgun »

darn! when i was 12 maybe.was out shooting and a guy had a 375hh. told me i could shoot it, what a a-- i was, one shot good by. cryed for 2 days. popgun :popgun: :popgun: :pop: :pop: :angry4:
ohm

Post by ohm »

Lol, when I showed up they were shooting a 1911 45acp which they decided they should have ear protection on for, I just pulled out the Mosin, they finished shooting and pulled off their headphones. I touched off one round and they put them back on, this got their attention, after I finished shooting that clip they came over and had a look, if I remember correctly their first words were "what the hell is that thing" :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Yep this is one of the things I miss about shooting at ranges. The stares you get when you shoot one of these. When I shoot at my place it's just me and whoever is there for the day. Of course the neighbors know right away who it is and what it is. We all have different kinds of firearms. I can usually tell what one of them is shooting over at their place by direction and sound. Especially my one nieghbor when he lets his full auto loose. I love the sound of that.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost Rider

Post by Ghost Rider »

I love to shoot my M44`s, and M38, I actually think the M38 has a little more kick than the M44`s, but there all fun to shoot. Many times ive come home with a sore shoulder, but its worth it.
I won`t be wronged. I won`t be insulted. I won`t be laid a hand on. I don`t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why does everybody think the Mosin carbines are going to turn their shoulders to hamburger, and light the air on fire? They do light the air on fire for a few feet in front of the muzzle, but they barely kick at all, 100-200, even 300 rounds in the course of a shooting daylong outing and no problems. Conditioning, and the only way you get that is to go out and shoot some more, lots more :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I have never had issues with hamburger shoulder... Even after shooting a .338 Lapua.

If you don't want hamburger for a shoulder... Remember the meat! Place the buttstock in the meat of the shoulder between the shoulder blade & collarbone. No issues, shoot all day & no pain even wearing just a t-shirt.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There you go, on an average range trip I shoot 400-600 rounds of .30, all the way up to .75 Brown Bess musket with no problems following the above advice.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Cajun

Post by Cajun »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Why does everybody think the Mosin carbines are going to turn their shoulders to hamburger, and light the air on fire? They do light the air on fire for a few feet in front of the muzzle, but they barely kick at all, 100-200, even 300 rounds in the course of a shooting daylong outing and no problems. Conditioning, and the only way you get that is to go out and shoot some more, lots more :)

JYD understand somethimg. You were creates at SKYNET CYBERDYNE SYSTEMS. You arent human :)
Groundpounder

Post by Groundpounder »

I had a CZ 550 in .375 H&H. The only thing it turned to Hamburger was my wallet at $1.90 a shot.
Never pick a fight with an old man.
If he's too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.
- J Steinbeck
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

40 years of shooting tens of thousands of rounds I no longer feel recoil, on a given outing I might bring 10 or more rifles, alternate shooting them and friends guns as well. Back when 7.62x51mm, and .30.06 were still cheap I would burn 100-120 rounds a day, six days a week in the afternoon on my private range after work. Ammo was cheap for years, Turk 8mm was 2.5 cents a round when you bought by the ten thousand, and I bought a lot of it :biggrin: I shoot mostly .22 and the shotshells I reload myself plus black powder weapons these days to conserve funding.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Groundpounder wrote:I had a CZ 550 in .375 H&H. The only thing it turned to Hamburger was my wallet at $1.90 a shot.
That sounds like what Norma would bang me for oddball stuff 20 years back like 7.7 Jap, or 6.5 Carcano. If I wanted to at least try the rifles then I had no choice but to buy at least one box.
Theodore Roosevelt
BostonMike

Post by BostonMike »

tjtM38 wrote:I was shooting a M1 carbine the other day and a guy pulled up to the bench next to me with a 300 Win Mag Remington bolt action. He said, "better get your ear protection on, this thing has a lot of noise and muzzle blast." After shooting the M1 carbine, I pulled out my M44 and told him, "better get your ear protection on, this thing is louder than your 300 Win Mag." He just lauged me off until I let fly with a stripper clip of surplus Bulgarian. Then he wasn't laughing anymore; he was just sitting there in awe staring at my vintage Russian WWII weapon..... :big shock:

Had a similar story. New guy shows up at range, no idea who he is but is shooting an AR-15. He's not wearing any hearing protection as me and my friends shoot our AR-15s. Odd, but his choice.

I pull out my m44 and mention he might want some hearing protection. He says he will be ok. I ask him one more time and then just let it rip.

My friends said after the first shot, he couldn't get his hearing protection on fast enough!

I think the carbines have more kick than the rifles, but you get used to it. My last trip out I shot 100 rounds from my m44 and shoulder was fine.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's not about putting a tool to your shoulder & manipulating it.... It's about making it an extension of yourself... Molding it to the body & becoming one with it. :ugeek:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ohm

Post by ohm »

Yeah I hear you guys about conditioning, the first time I shot the rifle I got 25 rounds before I started to feel it, yesterday I shot 50. Whats crazy is when the other guy was shooting I was standing a few steps behind and you can feel the shock wave of it going off.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Perhaps we should have a thread where everyone post up pics of there bruises :chuckles:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I know this has been posted but it's a classic.

This how not to be owned. Shoulder the rifle!