How many C.A.O 91/30's....

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rockcrusher

How many C.A.O 91/30's....

Post by Rockcrusher »

are owned by members here? Got mine about
a year ago. Wondering if only 91/30's were
C.A.O marked ? Rear sight and all #'s in
orange . RC
desdem12

Re: How many C.A.O 91/30's....

Post by desdem12 »

I have a red letter and /25\ marked if that is what you are asking. Not sure about a CAO? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Is that the Italian firefighter deal? I've only seen one mentioned before on a forum.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
target

Post by target »

I've got some rifles with red letters. I personally don't think there is really anything major to it, just a bunch of bored armorers. Still neat though, it's just I personally wont but a rifle based on whether or no the numbers are filled in. No idea what the CAO marks are.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The red highlighting is way to easy to fake.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

But not the triangle 25, which seems to go hand in hand with red lettering. My "unmentionable sniper" is an MO with what looks like a CKO mark near the Izhevsk wreath. For what that may be worth.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
target

Post by target »

My 1938 Izhevsk actually has the serials, numbers, and lines on the rear sight filled in. Looks kinda funny and when I first got it I considered removing it... decided not to though as it is the way it arrived from the importer. I'll have to take a pic or something.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Sgt. Rob wrote:But not the triangle 25, which seems to go hand in hand with red lettering. My "unmentionable sniper" is an MO with what looks like a CKO mark near the Izhevsk wreath. For what that may be worth.

Semper Fi, Rob

I have had three triangle 25 rifles now and none of them had any colored lettering. They all had that little star on the metal edge of the ejection port wall though. The lettering of any color could be added by the former owner in this country or maybe even the enterprising dealer to make the rifle more desirable and sell better. So my advise is to just avoid even thinking about it in any value or rare or desirable mode. As Dog said it is just too easy to fake, matter of fact a friend does his routinely in white to help his eye sight at the range, he uses a paint crayon that is easily removable. You ought to see the aluminum in those letters! I have to admit it that color is eye catching. Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts making and using SA stamps, triangle 25's ,MO's, and all the other markings we look for. I remember seeing many US rifle stamps available, and even one company that would stamp your new M1903 or Garand stock with anything you wanted.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

As the Mosin gets harder to find & the prices continue to rise you can be sure to see fakes on the market.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They could be there right now, with the prices some Finn M91's are bringing.......
Theodore Roosevelt