picked this type 56 up this afternoon

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Celt

picked this type 56 up this afternoon

Post by Celt »

I went to my favorite lgs and finally took the gas operated plunge.I will take it to the range this weekend.all matching numbers, don't know if that means anything with these.its my first.anybody know about these here? Just kidding,I know there are some experts here.please tell me about this rifle.can't wait to go to the range!
P.s.i can't find any funny triangles or numbers.can anyone help with the year of this rifle? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: picked this type 56 up this afternoon

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Leadslinger45

Post by Leadslinger45 »

Celt,

First off very nice type 56, they are great carbines! The unfortunate side of things is we may never know the year of mfg. The Chinese never had a dating system (IE: year stamp, uniformed process of serial #.. etc etc) So all we can do is guess.. Most early Chi-coms had threaded barrels, some had blade bayonets, and early ones AFAIK had milled trigger groups. Later Chi-coms had stamped trigger groups, pinned barrels, and spike bayonet..

Does being early or late have any effect on much? Not usually unless you are seriously collecting them.

From your pictures I would say its a mid 70's to mid 80's.. No real way to tell but all we can do is guess.

Now, As far a being nice, you have a beautiful example of a SKS carbine. It should be a blast to shoot as well! You need to find a bayonet for her though, preferably the one that you lost under your couch while you were cleaning it. :)

One thing to check, and we call it the "rattle test." Is break down your carbine, remove the bolt and give it a good shake back and forth, if you can hear the firing pin move your in good shape, however if the firing pin does not move freely, you will need to disassemble you bolt and clean it extensively to avoid a "slam-fire" (Which is no fun to encounter)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Perhaps if you could get a better picture of that serial number area and what precedes it we could tell a little more. I just cannot make it
out. Too dark for me to see I guess. That stock has a really nice finish to it also.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Here's a better picture.I also got this rail with it.I took it of first thing.the original was in a baggie zip tied to the rifle.it didn't come with the bayonet.he said he might be able to find one for me.I still figured it was an instant trade. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celt on Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The rail is useless, they will not hold a decent zero, I tried, and gave it up as a lost cause and waste of money.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

Also has an eight,a four and a circle h all in different places on the stock.any guesses?.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Have patience. Often it takes quite some time before someone will have a good idea. We always try not to guess unless we
absolutely have to. When Howiebearse comes along, if there is anything to know about the stampings for ID purposes he will
be your best bet.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Thanks for the Rattle test I have an SKS TC9-56 that still won't fire the bullet 100% of the time. The pin strikes in the center but sometimes not hard or deep enough on 1st strike but will fire second time . Usually happens in the middle of a 30 round magazine after 12 or 15 shots then seems to fire the rest OK. I do not hear the afore mentioned "Rattle" Thanks JGC
Celt

Post by Celt »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Have patience. Often it takes quite some time before someone will have a good idea. We always try not to guess unless we
absolutely have to. When Howiebearse comes along, if there is anything to know about the stampings for ID purposes he will
be your best bet.
:thumbsup:
Did the rattle test today.it rattles.thanks for the advice
:D
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Patience...got it :D
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

You may also send him a PM with your link to this topic. If anyone will know about this one, I would think the "SKS God" will.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

This is an odd example of a late gun that was for the commercial market. My thought is that the receiver has been scrubbed and re stamped with a way to high serial number. Looking at the 56and type character you can see below it the remnants of the original character stamping. after that the receiver looks rough like a scrubbed gun (what may have happened is they scrubbed the original factory code and serial numbers then re stamped it. Another possibility but not likely is that the first 4 numbers are a new code without the rectangle. I do not really think its likely but i'm throwing it out there. MY most educated guess and that's what it is :) is that its been rebuilt and scrubbed and re stamped. I love these kinds of finds they are interesting to me. I would closely examine all the numbered parts and look for scrubbing and re-stamping. Scrubbing can be determined by looking at the area and see if it looks sanded down and the contours changed or rougher than the surrounding areas. The pictures are hard to use for that better with a magnifying glass. I also see quite a few re built guns with wood that has proofs why I do not know or that stock could be from a very early gun and have proofs Most Chinese guns do not have proofs on the wood.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

forgot to thank you guys for the nice comments on my answers. I do try to help with what info I have and my own take on things as I see and understand them. Many things are not explained when it comes to combat weapons especially fro the various sources and Governments . The majority of information today that is available is from those fello collectors that take the time to examine guns and accessories and get together on the internet and share the photos and information freely with each other. Photos like the gun we are chatting about that was posted are so valuable to guys like me and I draw much from them over time as more than one show up. I am happy guys take the time to post and not cover up serial numbers so we can gather info. thanks again for you continued support!!!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

No, thank you for your support and expertise Howie!

Steve
Celt

Post by Celt »

Thank you.I will check the rest of the parts tonight.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

This is on the bottom of the gas tube.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Here are some with it taken apart.I don't see any scrub marks on the parts.but the whole receiver looks scrubbed.the gas port? Looks older then any piece of the carbine .and one stupid question, is it a chrome lined barrel?
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Pictures of receiver, 6, 7,& 8. Previous info numbers/symbols have been scrubbed off. Definite re-stamping on the numbered side of receiver.
Looks like some thing removed from other two places. At least to me. Often done for some reason we will never know! Still, a good rifle to shoot the bejeebers out of. :D :D :D :D