What are the "going" prices?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TopperT

What are the "going" prices?

Post by TopperT »

I have been looking at various auction sites, in various publications and of course local shops, and it seems like the prices of Mosin-Nagant rifles range all over the place. One guy wants $ 98.00 in his shop for the same thing being offered on line at $135.00 plus shipping and then FFL fees. Hell, that would put the on-line rifle into $175.00 territory, and that is for your run-of-the-mill rifle.

So what is considered as fair and realistic? I fully understand how market forces work and it does seem that the "forces" are moving upwards, but is there a guideline that one can follow? I am currently looking at an ex-dragoon in VG to Ex condition that would run me "about $205.00 to put into my safe. Is this good? Bad? or what?

I guess the best plan is to cc the item and run it past the forum and get input from the group...........if this works, I'll try this approach and gather opinions. Any input is greatly appreciated as I build both my expertise and collection. Thanks. Jim Terrio.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: What are the "going" prices?

Post by Darryl »

$75.00 (+ or -) to $3500.00 (plus)

Type?
Condition?
Features?

Lots of variables. Shops usually run a little higher than online.
Pawn shops are usually pretty high.
Auctions can go all over the place.
Private sales is the best bargain (most of the time, but not always).

You can buy them for less than $75 if they have been cut up or chrome plated! :wink:

Dolk
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It is a little high for an ex-dragoon if it is a refurb. I have found mine mixed in with other 91/30s in the $120 range. Around here that price is typical. Online they go cheaper but shipping and transfers make it pretty close. We all jump on here sometimes when we find something to do a price check. Some areas get a little higher in price though.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. To find this out I select some auctions on gunbroker that are similar to what I am looking for, track them until some of them sell, then I have an idea what people are paying. There are a great many variables affecting the price of milsurps, take the 91/30, a refurb is around a hundred bucks for a round receiver wartime date. Add hex receiver and it becomes a bit more, find a triangle 1 East German stamp and the price jumps to $135, ex sniper welds will also jump the price. Take the same 91/30, have it be an issued rifle that wasn't refurbished and has Spanish Civil War, or Finnish heritage and $200 or more is not unexpected. Then some people will pay a premium for laminated stocks, or stocks with nice stripe markings :) , or Tula stars, ex dragoon years, or stocks with interesting repairs. You go to Aim for your rifle and you will pay the listed price no matter what they send you, you go to a collector and you will pay for each rare feature that has been found on the rifle. There is nothing special about an ex dragoon, it's now just another 91/30 rifle with a hex receiver and older 1920's date, because of the hex receiver I would expect you to have to shell out $20 more over regular price, but not $200. Then again if you don't have a C&R FFL, and live in a part of the country were Mosins are thin on the ground you may have to pay that $200 to get one. If I was to have one transferred to me at a local gun shop the $75 transfer fee would bring the cost of a 91/30 refurb over $200 ( with tax) .
Real Dragoon rifles are $400-$600, and hard to find, ex dragoons are not, I have at least 20 ex dragoon refurbs and only one real dragoon.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Much appreciated. In my area ( SE Mass) its thin pickings without making road trips. There rifles JUST started showing up! First batch int wo shops went $98.00, full price with accessories. First one I got is a 1942 that looked like it had just come back from Stalingrad, the next one I got AFTER I had found this site and for the same $98.00 is a really nice 1938. Next up was my first Finn and today I should be picking up my second Finn. Both were auction sales and I fear I paid high ($350 & $450)....but.....I wanted the rifles so that was that. Done is done.

Now, as I go forward I'm going to VERY closely watch what I offer and I will send in my C&R today. Transfer fees here go $20.00 but still........ With the forum, some research and common sense this will be a lot of fun. BTW, the 1942 Izhevsk, holds VERY tight groups out to 75, all day long. Funny, 'glitter dont always shoot' as a buddy says.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

TopperT wrote:Much appreciated. In my area ( SE Mass) its thin pickings without making road trips. There rifles JUST started showing up! First batch int wo shops went $98.00, full price with accessories. First one I got is a 1942 that looked like it had just come back from Stalingrad, the next one I got AFTER I had found this site and for the same $98.00 is a really nice 1938. Next up was my first Finn and today I should be picking up my second Finn. Both were auction sales and I fear I paid high ($350 & $450)....but.....I wanted the rifles so that was that. Done is done.

Now, as I go forward I'm going to VERY closely watch what I offer and I will send in my C&R today. Transfer fees here go $20.00 but still........ With the forum, some research and common sense this will be a lot of fun. BTW, the 1942 Izhevsk, holds VERY tight groups out to 75, all day long. Funny, 'glitter dont always shoot' as a buddy says.
If you are talking about the standard M91/30, $98 is a good price especially from a shop. You might find it cheaper, but not by very much and it is always better to have the rifle in your hand that you are thinking about buying so you can see it.

Dolk
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

It is kind of slim pickings in my area too. I don't have a C&R, so I have to buy from local pawn shops. The last two ATI imports I bought were really nice M91/30 rifles with all the accessories and matching numbers. The rifles were already cleaned of cosmoline and just had a light coat of oil on the metal. They were 1932 and 1932 Tula hex receivers and the dealer wanted 130 + tax; that's about the going rate for hex receivers here. Since he doesn't order a lot, he claims the shipping cost alone is almost 20 bucks per gun. I got to hand pick out of 8 available guns and got the nicest wood/metal. The look and shoot like new guns; excellent bores and the best finish I have seen on Mosin Nagants. I figure they are worth every penny I paid for them and my dealer was nice to let me open all the boxes and hand pick.

With your C&R you should do okay. You can order these rifles from a number places for 99.95 + shipping. The only problem I see is that you won't get to see them before they come to the door. I was curious if there are any restrictions to shipping guns to your location in Massachusetts? I know some norheast states have very strict about firearms coming into the state. If you were living in Jersey, you could forget mail order. In contrast, right over the Deleware in rural Pennsylvania, you are in gun friendly country. I have a brother that lives in Wakefield, MA (north suburbs of Boston), but he is not into firearms at all. Good luck.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You can still get a round receiver rifle from J&G for $89.00 plus shipping the last time I looked. I you want a hand select job from them it will cost and extra $10.00.

I figure they have as close,as you will find, to a "standard' price. Their prices remain stable over long periods of time.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There is a standard price here in almost every shop. $119 or $129. It soes not matter whether it is a hex a M38, M44, hun, pole or M91. They are all the same. It is a mosin so it is that price. This works good for me usually. I have paid cheap prices for M38s and 44s and have paid the regular for the others. One was $75 and a few were $98. I think you did just fine buying those finns for that. M39s are definately worth more. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Down here in sc it ranges from around $120 and up depending on the models and features. Most of the dealers down here go through the crates and pull out anything interesting to raise the prices. The seller I keep goint back to has descent pricing. I think I paid around $140-$150 after tax. I know that sounds like alot for a basic 91-30 but he cleans it about 80% of the way and checks the headspace on all of the rifles he sells. Good guy too with great service. Before tax they are all right around $120.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These refurb Mosins should be selling in the $225 range anyway, only reason they aren't is due to the large numbers of them that have been imported all at once. The price is still artificially low, but will catch up.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

SA1911a1 wrote:I you want a hand job from them it will cost and extra $10.00.
Seems like a fair price for a hand job. :biggrin:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :tongue:
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

TulaTom wrote:

LOL... good thing I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read that :D
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The truth of the matter is, I am not sure that terms "hand select" and "hand job" aren't interchangeable when buying firearms online.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
hieny

Post by hieny »

Bought my 1942 Ishevsk Round receiver 91/30 at the LGS for $115 + tax ($123) 2 other shops were the same price, in the box and COVERED with cosmoline!! AND I mean COVERED!!! Took all day to clean it but well worth it!! She's a beauty!! Gotta get some pics as it's my first Baby!! :wave:
Ruger LC9 (personal CCW)
1942 and 1943 Винтовка Мосина M91/30's.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Flyin Brian wrote:
TulaTom wrote:

LOL... good thing I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read that :D
The Secret Service might have a better grasp on the going rates. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Go to a gun show ASAP I always see them in nice condition and they will be glad to show and tell. JGC
newmosinfan

Post by newmosinfan »

Ive paid 140.00 for both of mine the first a '42 Iz refurb with all the accessories at the only gun/pawn shop in the county , then my second a hex '25 tula from a very small gun show stock is chewed up from the barrel band refurb job but it fun cause the guy only had 3 left and the hex i was getting all these other people were coming up and looking at them and my wife said are you getting this one or not so I got it . The closest gun shop in pa dont carry them or ammo and the closet gun shop in del. carries the ammo at 20 for 6 but not the guns . Im waiting on a deal to go thru at work and then Im gonna apply for my c&r and state collector licenses .
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The interesting thing to me is the wide range of prices that ffl's charge to do a transfer for people who buy guns online. I have found them in our area as low as 15.00 per gun and in upwards of 50.00 and I am in the Dallas Tx area. I know it can be considerably in other areas. I have done well with my C&R license and have even bought a couple of 22 rifles with them being delivered to my house.
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

The going rate right now is around a hundred bucks. And it's going straight up. I'm glad I caught the tail end of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that price becomes a dream in the next year or two.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!