Misc pics/ 1903 Springfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
pacanis

Misc pics/ 1903 Springfield

Post by pacanis »

I got my 1903 Springfield in yesterday. This morning I swapped out the trigger with the correct one that came with it, the one that will work with the Pederson Device... if I should ever stumble into one and have an extra 50 grand in my wallet :lol: but hey, I've got the correct trigger anyway. And a spare :thumbsup: I wiped it down, cleaned the cosmoline off the mag spring and took her out.
It shoots SWEET! I was using the peep set at 100 yds and shooting from where my bench last was, at 100 yds. What you see is exactly how it shot. One of my first three actually nicked the bull, something I was not able to replicate, but everything was right there in the 6" circle with one minor adjustment after I cut two shots at nine o'clock on the edge.
It's obviously been rearsenaled and has an 03-A3 bolt in it. It might even be in a Remington stock. I can barely see what looks like an RA stamp underneath the Ogden Arsenal stamp. It has been proofed twice. The receiver and barrel appear to be of the right date though and everything looks correct. I'm pretty happy with it and obviously happy with the way it shot right out of the box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Simo

Re: Misc pics/ 1903 Springfield

Post by Simo »

Nice rifle and love the range trip pics :thumbsup:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Hi pacanis.

Nice rifle, & shooting, looks like you had good weather..
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Thanks guys :)
Yes, the weather was great today. Low forties, but no wind and plenty of sun.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Great shooting Pac. I think your table and range are looking super. Maybe your next venture would be to build a shack out there for to nap inbetween rifles. :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: So is that the one from the famous guy or another one you ordered? :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great pick-up! Does it have the correct cut-off and spindle for a Mark-I ?
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

hmmm, a shack... naaaw, if I build a shack out there and stuck a cot in it the next thing you know I'd have to run electric to it and then comes the TV and the beer fridge and internet and .... It's just cheaper to shoot off the back porch where I already have that stuff :biggrin:
Actually, that idea crossed my mind during the winter. You just reminded me of it. If I take out a couple trees I might have a clear shot to my backstop from up by the house. That could give me some nice long range shooting.

This one I just got. My 03-A3 is the one that kind of came from a famous guy.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I don't know, Martin. I'd love to find out. I have a hard time deciphering that VI site. Especially the serial number and letter stampings pages.
If you'd like to post a link on what to look for I can snap some more pics or see what to look for.

I do know I'm having a hard time with the magazine. I've got the correct spring and 03 follower, but the cartridges aren't staying put all the time. They are jumping out, sometimes two at a time.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

OK, found a pic of a repro spindle. I'm assuming the difference is that hole or notch in it? At any rate, it can't be seen without removing the cutoff. And since the cutoff is R stamped like the bolt, my guess would be no, but you never know.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Here is the cut-off, slotted spindle and two piece sear.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very nice Fred, congrats! Your range is looking fantastic. It has to considering the quality of guns you're firing at it! Very nice rifle, awesome shooting and great photos.

Well done Sir!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

My cutoff is not notched out like that and the spindle is not slotted, so probably replaced with 03-A3 parts like the bolt was. Your pics showed me exactly what to look for. Great pics.
I do have the correct trigger/sears though.

Thanks Cliff.

Oh, and I just changed out the mag spring with my 03-A3's spring and that fixed it right up. I thought that was weird, as the 03's spring is stretched out some and has more tension on it when compressed, but it must not be pressing up on the follower evenly. Numrich had them in stock. I'll probably have it Saturday. I really don't need to worry about it though until I find a cheap source for '06 rounds :vsad:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: My first '03 was also a MK1.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Celt

Post by Celt »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: beautiful rifle!
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now all you need is the Pederson device to go with it :) After WW2 the Army found a complete MK1 with Pederson device in the German archives, so much for top secret security at the arsenal.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That would make one nice conversion. Well worth the extra 14 lbs of carry weight for the soldier IMO.
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Is that a .30 Semi Auto conversion, why does it weigh so much, 14lbs ?
One for sale over here Mk I dated 3-20 for £1300 ouch :o
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

The device, clips/magazines and ammo issued to the soldier was supposed to add another 14 lbs to their gear.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

No sweat. I could carry 2 of them then...all the way to the fridge for some water. :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Neil, was that for the Pederson device, or the MK1 M1903? Almost all of the Pederson devices were destroyed in the 1920's, and the rifles returned to regular service. I am sure many soldiers wondered why there was a port hole cut into their rifles receiver over the years. almost 15 pounds of extra crap, and they were expected to run across no mans land with it. I would rather have had the BAR.
Theodore Roosevelt