1903 A3 Did I do ok?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Tula Neil

1903 A3 Did I do ok?

Post by Tula Neil »

Been looking for one of these for a while, found a Remington 1903 A3, took it to the range on Saturday, 200yds 50 rounds, all in the black with several Vbulls. What theatre of WW2 would this have been made for (1943 March)?

pacanis

Re: 1903 A3 Did I do ok?

Post by pacanis »

Very nice 03-A3, Tom :thumbsup: Great pics. She's a real beauty and I like your range pics.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

You did way better than "OK"...you did awesome! Nice rifle and nice photos. Very cool!

Congrats Neil :thumbsup:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

If it shoots as well as you say, then you did very well!

Looks like a refurbished gun, with original barrel/receiver pairing and many Remington parts. The whole gun has been re-parkerized in the light gray. And original would have had the trigger guard, bolt, rear sight, front band, rear band and cut-off in original blue.

The stock appears the have the original inspector's stamp and proofs, and doesn't show a rearsenal stamp. Most likely is a Remington stock, by the sub inspection marks in front of the trigger guard, but a close-up of the barrel band spring would tell for sure - a squared front edge of the inletting would be present. It has a Smith Corona buttplate.

As to which theater? Difficult to determine. The bulk of these actually saw no action, and were issued to reserves, police, supply units. Others may be able to elaborate more.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

nice A3 Niel, they do make good shooters. these were used to arm stateside troops to free up Garands for front line use, Training, guarding war production plants, the White House.
Most were refurbished after the war, a nice rifle :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

oops... I always see Tula xxxx and think of Tula Tom :oops:
Sorry Neil
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

martin08 wrote:If it shoots as well as you say, then you did very well!

Looks like a refurbished gun, with original barrel/receiver pairing and many Remington parts. The whole gun has been re-parkerized in the light gray. And original would have had the trigger guard, bolt, rear sight, front band, rear band and cut-off in original blue.

The stock appears the have the original inspector's stamp and proofs, and doesn't show a rearsenal stamp. Most likely is a Remington stock, by the sub inspection marks in front of the trigger guard, but a close-up of the barrel band spring would tell for sure - a squared front edge of the inletting would be present. It has a Smith Corona buttplate.

As to which theater? Difficult to determine. The bulk of these actually saw no action, and were issued to reserves, police, supply units. Others may be able to elaborate more.
How can you tell it was re-parkerized? I had read that later date 03's changed the parkerized finish from the original black finish to the lighter gray/green. What gives it away that this has been re-parkerized?
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thanks for the nice comments and info guys.

No worries pacanis, I took it as "tom" as in Tommy british soldier, a compliment so no problem... :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

uncle redid the entire rifle at regular intervals no matter if it needed it or not, green tint park happens after it's been in contact with cosmoline 50-60 years. original 03's were blued, A3's were a wartime rifle and were parkerized.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

martin08 wrote: but a close-up of the barrel band spring would tell for sure - a squared front edge of the inletting would be present.
Like this?

pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:uncle redid the entire rifle at regular intervals no matter if it needed it or not, green tint park happens after it's been in contact with cosmoline 50-60 years. original 03's were blued, A3's were a wartime rifle and were parkerized.
I was looking for physical evidence, like you can tell whether a part was stamped then blued, or blued then stamped. I thought perhaps there was something I have not read about to tell original park from re-park.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like that a lot that's great shooting in a very nice rifle
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Tula Neil wrote:
martin08 wrote: but a close-up of the barrel band spring would tell for sure - a squared front edge of the inletting would be present.
Like this?
Very nice and sharp pic, but it leaves out the front of the spring slot, which is squared on Remington stocks, and rounded on Smith Corona stocks.

And I wish I had a picture in the same light as yours, but the original park will have a deeper green tint, as JYD has alluded. The texture is also smoother on original finish. No big deal to have a gun that was refinished, as the majority of them were.

pacanis

Post by pacanis »

"...the original park will have a deeper green tint...
The texture is also smoother on original finish..."

Good info, Martin. Thanks.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

just beautiful Neil :Drool1: :Drool1: Sounds like a great shooter to boot :thumbsup: What great pictures too :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

You did very well! Martin 08 has pretty much covered the basics. As for where it may have been used, suffice it to say that the M1903A3 has probably seen more use then was previously thought for many years. Recently a lot of photo documentation has come to light showing the M1903A3 seeing use with the Navy via burial at sea photos. There are photo's also showing it with African American units on Papua New Guniea, photos of Front line use in Italy and the CBI. It saw wide spread use with support troops in the European theater. There is not much if anything showing use by the USMC, other than the M1903A4 sniper version. Many were issued with the grenade launcher attchement and sight for small unit soldiers in the grenadier role. Many saw combat in probably every Army action from 1943 on. There is a reason so many are arsenal rebuilt. :wink:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thanks everyone, I have to thank my good lady wife for taking the pictures, (her camera :thumbsup: )

Martin can you point out where exactly you need a picture of the front of the spring slot for me please, or should I remove the spring and take a picture.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Tula Neil wrote:Thanks everyone, I have to thank my good lady wife for taking the pictures, (her camera :thumbsup: )

Martin can you point out where exactly you need a picture of the front of the spring slot for me please, or should I remove the spring and take a picture.

I'm on a different computer now, and the sizing allows the full pic of the slot. Squared in front = Remington stock. I was pretty sure it was, to begin, as there were no diamond shaped sub inspector marks in front of the trigger guard.

Your wife does an excellent job with the pics. Get her to collect a few milsurps and join the fun on the forums!
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Thanks Martin08,

Wife not happy with heavy recoil rifles, very happy with .223 AR or bolt action rifles.

She can always use any of mine :big shock:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

That's exactly what I had thought, Rob. Everything I've read said we just couldn't make M1 Garands fast enough and the 03 Springfields were still being issued for combat.