Superb Scrap - SCW

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

Superb Scrap - SCW

Post by martin08 »

A trip to the gunshow this morning wasn't looking too promising, but a second walk around yielded results - a perfect pile of parts, assembled into Spanish Civil War implement of battle. Some careful observations of condition - no cleaning rod and frosted bore - were good bargaining chips. $120 OTD.

It's a 1937 Tula (tang matches) with great variety of mostly Izhevsk small parts and nothing even close to matching. Interesting features of this scrapped together gun are the pegged toe splice, solid rear band, front button band, and a tall stepped front sight.

Fills another slot for the collection nicely. Thanks for looking, gents.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Superb Scrap - SCW

Post by bunkysdad »

Martin that was a great find. I love the overall condition of it, and the price was really good.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice find, just think, there is probably a dealer back at the show amazed that he found someone to buy that " old, beat up Russian rifle" having no clue what it is he sold. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Very nice, I couldn't have walked away at $120!
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Nice. Even got a brass handguard.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Many thanks as always, gentlemen.

I was thrilled to find this one as it has a few "firsts" for the collection - 1. Made in USSR (SCW) 2. transitional 91/30 front sight blade 3. button band.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Love the pegged stock repair...really gives it the "been there done that" look! :toast:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great find! I love those rough around the edges, sob story, brought back from the brink guns. 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Just a note for a good reference link. Ithilsdorf of Gunboards has made a site dedicated to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants and the War History.

http://scwmosin.weebly.com/index.html

My rifle (above) was added to the "Showcase", and the front sight is in "Other Features". The site is relatively new, and Ithilsdorf is still adding serial numbers and picture examples. Contact him if you want your gun showcased, too.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweeet :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)