Question on receiver date(s) on a tripple date MO 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MoSEEN.Nut

Question on receiver date(s) on a tripple date MO 91/30

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

I acquired a 1933 Izhevsk triple date MO a couple months ago and have a question on the receiver.
The receiver on the 1933 Izhevsk (barrel) triple date MO (1947/1953) tang is 1930. However on the underside is stamped 33 in a font that doesn't match anything on the rifle. The rifle is an early import (CAI - importers mark under front part of barrel) refurb with all matching numbers and as far as I can tell, same font. The question is the 33 just a stamping that shows up on MN's that nobody knows what they mean except the guy who put it there or was it done to denote this rifles manufacture was 1933 and the earlier receiver was "updated".
Full.jpg
Barrel.jpg
Tang.jpg
RcvrBot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Re: Question on receiver date(s) on a tripple date MO 91/30

Post by desdem12 »

Wow that is a nice one really nice colection of marks. I'm not sure anybody knows why or what all the marks are for, even the guys that made them in the first place. But that is one sweet piece :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Nice rifle!

The 33 has no relation ship to the date, or serial number. It is believed that the numbers and marks under the receivers and shanks are just inspectors marks or assembly markings. No one really knows except they have no connection to dates or ser#'s. In fact they are not sure what the "MO" dates even stand for. One day perhaps, but not right now.

Nice rifle and very collectable. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

There's an odd one. The way the markings run up on the Mo 33/47 it may have been mistakenly stamped 1933 over 1930. Probably happened during a refurb process as 1947 is within that timeframe. It's probably a 1930 Izhevsk, they ground down the markings & restamped a different date. Maybe it was a Monday morning, Ivan had way too much Vodka over the weekend & this was his first project that day.

Here's my 1930 Izhevsk for comparison. You can see that the date placement is different on yours. Mine is centered, but yours starts over to the left more to accommodate a double date. Font imprint matches through 1933/47... it was all stamped at the same time.

Either way, it's a great looking rifle, triple date MO! You could even argue that it's a quadruple date if you really wanted to.... A great find. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Triple dates seem to be pretty rare. And add in another date for the receiver..that's pretty cool. I'd have bought that one in a heartbeat.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F