New M28/30. Virtually.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

New M28/30. Virtually.

Post by martin08 »

Last June, I picked up mint condition 1944 Tikkakoski M91/30 from a local classified ad for $135. A steal. When I picked up the gun, I couldn't help but notice the mint M28/30 on the rack beside it. He didn't want to sell at the time.

So, I decided to send him an e-mail on Friday to see if he would consider selling. He said yes! But I couldn't steal this one. It's virtually new.

I seem to be able to easily find Civil Guard rifles without issue numbers, my M28 is like that also. No buttplate or stock numbers. It has a jamb free mag, but no HV stamp. And this one looks for all the world like it is a Soviet spliced buttstock and forestock, with a Finn handguard (unusual, I think?). Commercial 7.62X54 will chamber a round, so it has been throated for the D-166 cartridge.

Anyway, thanks for looking gents, as always. :wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New M28/30. Virtually.

Post by Jumperwire »

My heart just started beating really fast. :D :D :D
smacneighill

Post by smacneighill »

Very nice looking rifle there Martin. :wink:

8-) 8-) 8-)
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." ~ Thomas Payne
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I can see why you wanted that one. Nice!
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Question:

Could a gun that was built for the Civil Guard, but received no unit number, be considered unissued? I know that the condition says, "Hmmm, could be!"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can't get them all on the cheap, some are just worth paying retail for, and this is one of them, very, very nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I think I just wet myself a little. :oops: :oops:

That is an amazing find!!! :toast: Wow... 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Holy crap .......I fainted and then hit my head........fainted again :clap: :clap: :clap: :toast: :clap: :clap: Sweet mary that is gorgeous :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Thank you, gentlemen.

I knew where this gun was for the past five months, and it was calling me louder and louder with each passing day. As opportunities like this don't arise often, I decided that I would kick myself forever if I didn't follow up - and the seller was quite willing to part with it the second time around. It never hurts to ask!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Definitely worth staying in touch for, very nice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It's just hard to imagine a Finn rifle like that being unissued. It sure is awesome looking so who knows.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I was asked on another site to see if this gun showed evidence of refurbishment, so I disassembled it this morning.

Here are some more pics. The metal inside is just as nice, with no typical wear/fading line at the wood level. Receiver is a 1916 Tula. The rear barrel band has been refinished, but all other metal looks original. The buttstock has a "W" stamped behind the trigger guard, and is well shimmed. The M91 forestock is widened at the barrel shank end, and has the typical reinforcement at the nose with an added shim. There is no barrel sleeve. The magazine is a NEW without the HV stamp. The bolt is an NEW body and extractor, with a Tula connector and head (not Remington, as previously mentioned). No picture of the bore, but it is flawless.

So, refurbished? Yes. The last picture of the crown shows that the muzzle was dipped and reblued over some dimples and pitting. It just didn't receive an entire dip. A ring can be seen on the barrel just past the outside curvature of the crown.