Cleaning Questions

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ktulu92fs

Cleaning Questions

Post by ktulu92fs »

A few years back, I went to my local gun store to get a bore brush for my Mosin. The guy gave me one for 7.62mm(.308). I took it home and it got stuck in the barrel half way in. I ended up having to tap it and the cleaning rod out of the barrel, breaking both and throwing them away. I told the guy at the store what happened and he said that it was odd that happened. Ever since then I've been using a pistol brush to clean the barrel out. What is the correct size rifle brush? What is the best size patch? What is the best way to get the patch down the barrel(I've been using the cleaning kit that came with the rifle. It's a pain sometimes getting the patches in one side and out the other). Thanks for the help.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Cleaning Questions

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Some of the guys had some good info in this post.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=529
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The original cleaning rod is made of the same type steel as the barrel. It is the worst thing you can use. I bought a 1 piece cleaning rod that is 40" long and it is perfect for the long barrels of the Mosins. The only reason I can imagine that you had trouble with the brush has to be that you had the wrong brush. The 30 cal brush can be pushed through easily enough. Perhaps you had a 8mm brush. Always take out the bolt and clean from the breach end.. and use a jag with proper fitting patch. Too big a patch and you will have trouble pushing it through.
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

I use an 8mm brush and .30 caliber patches on a jag with a looooong cleaning rod with bore guide. Make sure the brush makes it out the other end before trying to withdraw it. If you don't it will bind up and lock in place.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I also use .30 or 8mm brush works fine from the breach end, all the way thru Hlavinka says
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
klibben

Post by klibben »

Yep, barrel is .30 but a .32 (8mm) will also work. Easiest solution - get a boresnake. They average about $15 but WELL WORTH IT in my opinion, and I'm a cheapskate. Plus, when you start taking multiple guns to the range not only is it much faster, but much easier - no switching jags, brushes, etc for every single rifle. Just run it through, one and done (okay to be honest I run it two or three times to be safe, but that only takes about 10 more seconds).
"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - Flavius Vegetius Renatus (ca 390 AD)
MoSEEN.Nut

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

Bore Snake. Think Bore Snake. Put some No.9 on it, drop the weight down the barrel from the breach end, run it through a couple times and that's it. I do follow up as a rule with one patch of gun oil just for good measure with a fiberglass rod. Whatever you do don't ding the crown.

To clean the bore snake and yes they do need cleaning. Get a sauce pan (whatever you do don't use the better half's good one), fill about half way with water, a squirt of Ajax dish soap, bring to a boil. Do not boil for any amount of time, just bring it to a boil. Drain and when the snake is cool enough to handle rinse in warm water. You will have a almost new bore snake. Works for me and with the MN's it's nothing but corrosive so you got to do your duty immediately after firing. I take a snake to the range, use it, and then start over when I get home with the above procedure. The bores seem to get better each trip if that's possible.