Vietnam Era Photos of Type-53's.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Hobe Sound Falcon

Vietnam Era Photos of Type-53's.

Post by Hobe Sound Falcon »

:!: I always loved the Photo on the Cover of the National Geographic Video of the Small Frame Girl with the Russian M-44 Carbine. Most likely the most well know Type-53 Photo of the Vietnam War. I also found an old Chicom Type-53 Poster from Gunboards.com and a photo of the RVN. Army recovering Type-53's/M-44's/ and some Mauser's Kar98K's as well. Make's you wonder if any of our's were over there. Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hobe Sound Falcon on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobe Sound Falcon

Re: Vietnam Era Photos of Type-53's.

More
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobe Sound Falcon

And we wonder why Excellent Condition Type-53's are so Costly?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The PLA numbers in the millions of men, they sent the North Vietnamese their used, surplus rifles, ( not all of them Type 53's) and then used the hell out of what they had left. First front line soldiers, then passed down to RAMF types, they to the national guard type troops in the most remote places in China, then they sold them to us in the late 1980's, probably amazed that we would buy them. Anybody remember the flood of Chinese rifles coming in back around 1990? SKS's, AK's, returning US lend lease rifles, and type 53's. At one time I was given a type 53 for nothing, and my no import marked Vietnam bringhome was $40 from the vet who dragged it home.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hobe Sound Falcon

Yes Indeed! Remember Uncle Mike's?
Hobe Sound Falcon

40.00 Dollars for a Bring Back? Damn Good Price! :!:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That was 1992, today I think it would be higher :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Hobe Sound Falcon

New by 1960 Factory-26 Code.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

That documentary is on Netflix, it's pretty interesting.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I would venture to say that if you have a T-53 with no import stamps that it was there. Neither of mine have stamps, a '55 and a '60.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I do, indeed, remember the Norinco SKS I bought, NIB, with accessories for $79.00. That must have been about '95. I was told I got took, cause they could be bought for $69.00. At that time, I was the only person I knew who knew what a SKS was. (I found out after I bought it)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
jp8

Post by jp8 »

Here's one that was there. No import marks. I brought it home. :biggrin: Found it in a ditch in a small village in Cambodia. (Oh i forgot, we were'nt really in Cambodia) Anyway, it's a bit rough but still works. Bought a few more since then.
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

jp8 wrote:Here's one that was there. No import marks. I brought it home. :biggrin: Found it in a ditch in a small village in Cambodia. (Oh i forgot, we were'nt really in Cambodia) Anyway, it's a bit rough but still works. Bought a few more since then.
Of the ones you saw, were they mostly missing the bayonet? I've heard that the bring back M44's were usually missing the bayonet.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Hlavinka wrote:
jp8 wrote:Here's one that was there. No import marks. I brought it home. :biggrin: Found it in a ditch in a small village in Cambodia. (Oh i forgot, we were'nt really in Cambodia) Anyway, it's a bit rough but still works. Bought a few more since then.
Of the ones you saw, were they mostly missing the bayonet? I've heard that the bring back M44's were usually missing the bayonet.
I've heard the VC were fond of using the MN bayonets in punji pits, but that could be just rumor.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
jp8

Post by jp8 »

Only saw a couple MN's, both had no bayonets.
jp8

Post by jp8 »

Dont know about MN bayonets being used for punji pits,there was plenty of wood to use. Anyway, did most of my work in the air behind an M60, mostly looking down. :)
Hlavinka

Post by Hlavinka »

jp8 wrote:Only saw a couple MN's, both had no bayonets.
Thanks for the reply!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)