check list for SKS collectors

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
howiebearse

check list for SKS collectors

Post by howiebearse »

I am going to list what I think is a good collectors list of what to have in a SKS Collection. I do not have all of these and will try to get the ones I need as time goes on Given what I can afford to pay :) but here is my list of what I think a collector should look for and add to his or her collection.
Albanian : Undated
1967,1968,1969,1970,1971, skips to 1976,1977,1978, and some say 1979 some rare ones came in with unknown caliber and sequential serial numbers and low numbers are also found. These guns were recovered by the importer form cave storage to keep them out of the hands of rebels. Issued with hardwood stocks and spike bayonets they have unique parts used on them unlike other SKS guns

Chinese Type 56
first year is 1956 which has serial numbers below 1 million some may have a letter code as well as numbers like M1234 triangle 26 only and some may be faint stamps or below wood line (some may also have just serial number.
Mixed factory code But all are Poly Tech marked Chinese security police marked with 2 characters on right side of receiver by ejection port.
Collect by Factory code with over 150 possible codes
Collect by receiver type other than usual milled there are stamped sheet metal receivers with three known codes 0138,0144,0145 codes in rectangle Also cast steel receivers
and one should own the nicest of all the 24 million series Factory 26 dark blued and has the phenolic hand guard simular to the Type 63 that came out with select fire . This SKS is the last model revision know to be produced.
another collectors prize is the M21 parked guns used in Vietnam these have M21 No and serial number no factory code. M21 guns are also found as later imports with 0296 and 416 factory designations these are post Vietnam war imports good collectors pieces but not as valuable as the early war ones.
Others to look for are ones that were rebuilt with the fiberglass stock and hand guard of which three types are known to me with variation on thickness weight sling swivel type and placement and color Normally found on guns that were imported after being rebuilt.
another Chinese gun that is interesting is the ones that were sold or given as aid to Egypt These are rebuilt in Egypt and painted black they have Egyptian made laminated stocks ,possible Russian laminated stocks or the rarer Chinese laminated stock only seen on a rare few guns. The Chinese laminated has very fine laminations and is easy to see once compared with a Russian version.
Chinese factory 26 guns are the only ones found with blade bayonets which were Russian aid and ran out around 9 million serial number range and then were made with spike bayonets

East German Karabiner S
These guns are so rare that condition is not a factor one would be happy just to have an example. Several Factories made them with some variations in the marking on the receivers all factories were in Suhl
This model is most always found in advanced collections with most having come back from the Vietnam War where they were given as Aid Many are in rough shape and miss matched because these weapons were in the hands untrained soldiers that did there cleaning in groups
and did not reassemble the same parts back into their weapon that came off . Many have miss matched parts of East German manufacture and some have Chinese parts. The guns were issued with laminated stocks that have the hole through the butt as found on the German 98K for the sling. Slings are rarer than the guns in leather. They were issued with blade bayonets

North Korean type 63
These are rare as well here in the US with again many coming back from Vietnam where they showed up as Aid. These guns are found both as issued and modified to shoot rifle grenades with a gas cutoff built into the gas port. They modified US grenade sights used on the Springfield Garand and Carbine or copies of them and the M8 grenade launcher used on the US Carbine was adapted to the SKS. These guns have Laminated stocks and blade bayonets

North Vietnamese with triangle with 1 inside
These guns are also rather hard to find and very rare in excellent condition. I believe these were sent as Aid from China others have different ideas I believe that the first two digits of the serial number are the date of manufacture 1962,63,64,65 My guess is these were Aid from China before the M21 was used to cover where the guns were sent from.

Romanian M56
These SKS Carbines are found with blade bayonets and hard wood stocks They are dated 1957,58,59,60. these are not as easy to find as some of the rest but are found from time to time on Gunbroker Not many were excellent to unissued Most are good to very good . I have seen some sloppy stamping done on stocks and other parts that were hand stamped either wrong number or backwards . One friend has one dated 1980.

Russian type 45
Tula arsenal 1949, 50,51,52,53,54,55 dated top covers early 56 star on top cover and receiver after serial number then 56 has just star after serial number and plain top cover the star after serial number can be of different sizes. Izhevesk Arsenal made the SKS in 53 and 54 only guns that were not rebuilt had hard wood stocks until 1956 the hardwood stocks were stamped as the top cover with factory code and date with serial number Rebuilt guns will have old numbers xxxxx over and new serial number stamped on the stock to match. 1956 guns were issued with laminated stocks and rebuilt guns will show up some times with laminated stocks these will have just serial number on them all have the blade bayonet except the very first issued guns Tula 1949 unless rebuilt they will have a spike bayonet. The 49 has quite a few early design parts unless rebuilt. Early guns do not have original issued chrome lined barrels. Several parts were updated during building as changed and when re built.
Interesting other models to look for are the East German proofed rebuilt guns These may have been rebuilt in Germany for Russia and proofed with the triangle and 1 inside as found on Mosin Nagant rifles. Another good one would be the Polish issued Russian guns used for honor guards with Polish made laminated stocks The stocks had unique butt plates and reinforced butts for drill and ceremony use.

Yugoslavian M59, M59/66, M5966a1
These SKS Carbines are issued with blade bayonets and hardwood stocks. The M59 is the early model much like the rest of the SKS production found in Europe. The M59 long barrel is an experimental leading up to the M59/66 usually found with low serial numbers with 2 digits. It has a complicated front adjustable sight and longer barrel than the standard M59. The M59/66 is the updated gun with provision to fire rifle grenades . The M59/66 was revised quite a few times and most have been rebuilt so many different parts v=can and will show up on these . Some have night sights others do not some have holes in grenade launcher later ones do not some have phosphorus dot night sights later ones have tritum sights or combinations of the above. M59/a1 was the latest design model . The newest and very collectible M59/66 is the Mitchell import guns with special serial number range and the latest design parts . These guns were bought and imported by Mitchell arms along with AK rifles and sold here They are the latest model from Yugoslavia all Military and desirable.The other models that are great collectors finds are the sniper guns that were built in field depots from available parts mounts scopes and materials These were built during the 90s conflicts for close house to house fighting in the rubble or burned out building hides. Another scarce model is the field model select fire SKS this had a selector switch installed and a special 30 rd ak magazine built for the gun. The magazine was held by the standard 10rd box magazine catch, The bolt was shaved to pass through the magazine lips and the forward catch made by welding and grinding. Only a few of these guns came in with the magazines removed and the standard box magazine installed and the selector switch and data plate (saying semi and full) removed from the stock. The trigger groups were swapped out with standard trigger groups.

That is my list and I am sure we can discuss these and add to them anyone needing photos just ask .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OLD OUTLAW

Re: check list for SKS collectors

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Way to go Howie. This gives everyone a basic idea of what every Carbine displays for features. What to collect and what to
look for when buying.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Nice list Howie, thank you. It looks like I'll be spending some cash over the next few years :)

Not trying to go off subject, but what is on the side of the receiver on this one?

I don't know what it is, but I want one! Actually, there's something about that entire carbine that intrigues me.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

That's a grenade launcher sight on the type 63
Drago

Post by Drago »

Finally, someone with the balls to claim a 1980 Romanian exists. OldPre68 will be happy as he's been saying this for years and people continue to laugh. I always believed you, buddy!!
Leadslinger45

Post by Leadslinger45 »

Very nice write up!!!
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

I think this aught to be a sticky for the future readers
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Agreed. I know I can sure use it. Now I need to kick myself for passing on a Mitchell Yugo SKS not long ago. Just did not
know enough about what they were to justify the cost.

However, when those M70 AK, M77, and the heavy barrel RPK Mitchells came in, I bought some of each.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

the Mitchell imports from Yugoslavia were really nice . It just so happened that the SKS imported by Mitchell were the latest model The only real difference being tritium sights and the way the grenade launcher was milled Ill post a pic of it Another interesting thing to get for the Yugo SKS is the blank adaptor These were first only available from Mar Star in Canada. I found another at the gun show in Springfield a couple weeks ago. I love accessories and collect all of them for every weapon I have
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

here is some photos of the accessories for the Yugo SKS and the different modifications of the grenade launcher the last one found on the Mitchell's was tapered at the rear. 1st had holes 2nd was without holes 3rd tapered rear Issued with the gun was the oil bottle brass was the early one plastic the late one. The pull through rope, the ammunition pouch set, and a pouch for the oil bottle which goes on the sling or belt
The leather sling was early the web is late. Tritium sights were done for the most part on real late builds and all others as inspected and rebuilt sometimes in pairs sometimes not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

WoW! Some of those attachments I have never seen pics of even. Heard about, but never saw a pic!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I recently posted up a couple of oil bottles that came in an odd assortment of stuff I got off of Ebay. The guys speculated on the bottle and got it right.

Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great write-up, Howie. Some extremely rare guns in that group.

Something that might not be evident, even to some seasoned SKS collectors, is the uber-rare sighting of a long barreled Yugo M59. My East German, NVA ,and NK were easier to come by than the elusive long version. Still searching for my own after many years, and only ever saw one for sale.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

you are right they are hard to find Ill post some pics of the front sight. The photos are from a good friend and fellow collector (Steve Dale) who has helped me get quite a few goodies for my collection His is serial 084 mine is 068 I have heard that on the last ones the sight was a standard SKS front sight
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Me want! Me want!