My first Mosin - a 1926 ex-Dragoon!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BuckeyeSgt

Re: My first Mosin - a 1926 ex-Dragoon!

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice ex dragoon Grello. Sound like a meeting of the doughboys and the Tommies :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Welcome aboard Grello!!

Glad to see you working through stiff laws to get what you want.

Great looking Ex-Dragoon.... Enjoy.
:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Thanks to the internet, all of us Mosin nuts can find each other. Until the net, how on earth would a fella in North Idaho even begin to discuss the finer points of Mosin Nagant collecting with someone in England????? As far as I know desdem12 is the closest one to me over in Washington at this time and still I believe several hours drive away.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would go up there in a heartbeat if gas was reasonable, just to shoot at your lonely range. I think Siam is closer to you though. I am not sure but i ithink he lives in colville wa. As far as the bird flys anyway. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Gas is gonna curb us all if it really hits the summer predictions. :x My range usually isn't so lonely, the weather helped alot, but usually there is at least 2-3 others rolling through there when I go. But if you ever get the chance to come up let me know, and I'll do likewise! :thumbsup:

Still a long drive to Colville too. There was a gent on here from Montana, but he turned out to be on the eastern end. The funny thing is, there have got to be other Mosin collectors in the area, because Big "R" went through over thirty in about a 3 month time span, and only 4 of them came home with me. :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

They will come out of the closet soon probly :big shock: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I hope they come out of the closets and into the local pawn stores. :D

Semper Fi, Rob
1938 Tula
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Same here...when I bought my first Mosin at Cabela's, they told me they have gone through about 500 since they started bringing in crates!

I have a feeling once I start going to an outdoor public range, I am going to start seeing them.
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Welcome aboard Grello. I too have a 26 Tula. It is a good shooter.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Grello

Post by Grello »

Thanks guys! Is there a way of telling which year it was upgraded to 91/30 spec? That would be a cool piece of information to have... :geek:

TIA
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
dropkick66

Post by dropkick66 »

Nice rifle! I have the same one! Same year and everything!
****1926 Tula 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****M59/66A1 SkS
****1929 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon ****1954 type 53
****1931 Izhevsk 91/30 hex ex-dragoon. ****1955 type 53
****1938 Izhevsk 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1939 Tula 91/30 round ****1954 type 53
****1940 Izhevsk 91/30 round. *****1945 Izhevsk M44
****1943 Tula 91/30 Ex-Sniper
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Morning Grello.

Essex is my location. Found my last 2 M/N's walking around a Military Arms Fair at Bisley, end of last year. Never used Fenland I tend to get my milsurps by word of mouth, ask around at shows someone always knows someone thats selling one.

Maybe one day meet up at Bisley you with your M44 me with my M38 see if we can get some fire balls to photograph :twisted: :thumbsup:

Do you use any forums in the UK?
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Tula Neil wrote:Maybe one day meet up at Bisley you with your M44 me with my M38 see if we can get some fire balls to photograph
I hope you guys do this. There's a good chance we'll be able to see the combined flash over here in the US :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Grello wrote:Thanks guys! Is there a way of telling which year it was upgraded to 91/30 spec? That would be a cool piece of information to have... :geek:

TIA
At the moment we don't know what the majority of the small stamps on the Mosin action mean, but it's likely that some of them are from the various upgrades and refurbishments the rifles received in service. Your rifle could have been upgraded in the 1930's, and then refurbished in the 1960's, we just don't know. Or it could have been upgraded to 91/30 during it's post war refurb. The Russians don't like to release information about their arms production no matter how far back in the past it was .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Grello

Post by Grello »

Thanks chaps!

Tula Neil - that would be good! Nope, don't currently use any UK forums - any recommended?

Cheers
Tula Neil

Post by Tula Neil »

Afternoon Grello.

When you get your ticket (FAC) through and your sorted (M/N's at home) we will arrange something. Sould be a blast.. Have sent a PM with forum details...
Grello

Post by Grello »

Thanks Tula Neil - appreciated! We'll have to get you down to one of our range days, too. Catch up soon here or elsewhere!
Grello

Post by Grello »

My licence is here and I picked up this baby and my 1945 Izhevsk carbine last night! Yay! I'll post more pix when I get a chance. I've just noticed a second stock repair on it, so you guys will want to see that, too!

Cheers
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:clap: :clap: :pop: :pop: