My first Mosin...not the last

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hillmillenia

My first Mosin...not the last

Post by hillmillenia »

So I picked up my first Mosin Nagant at the local show this Saturday. The guy had crates of 'em and I looked at pretty much all of them. priced 99-119.00, I asked why and was told the higher prices were for better furniture. Anyway, the one I picked sorta of called to me...odd as that may sound it became the one of the bunch. All the numbers match, even the bayonet, the stock is perfect with very little dings and the sort and the rifling...I looked for the muzzle to be counter bored and it is not. The rifling seems perfect like it has never seen any real use...I would call it un-issued. Having just signed up here I do not yet know what arsenal...I'm at work and it is home. I can say it was manufactured in 1942 and it came with 2 ammo pouches, the tool kit with pouch and the oiler...and of course a sling...I'll have to figure out how that goes on there :? Now I read that it is recomended I check the headspace? well that or cross my fingers and keep my head low? OK OK I know...I'll probably buy the guages just for my Grandkid's sake...sheesh! and besides, I'm still on the mend after catching a 5.56 round to the leg last Labor Day weekend :beek:
Izhevsk762

Re: My first Mosin...not the last

Post by Izhevsk762 »

If it's a 42 it's most likely an Izhevsk. Does it have a hammer and sickle on the barrel shank (Izhevsk Arsenal) or a big star (Tula Arsenal)?

Welcome to the forum, btw. If you get a chance, post up a few pics.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Izhevsk762,
You're supposed to stick one of these up.............. :worthless:

under the smilies is "View more smilies"
:lol: :lol:

Dolk
hillmillenia

Post by hillmillenia »

OK but I have to warn you...I have a cheap camera and I'll never claim to be a photographer.
Looks like it is a Tula rifle...it may be a standard old rifle but this one is mine... :D
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice rifle hill, very nice wartime stock too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pic looks just fine, nice rifle, and welcome to the forum 8-) 8-) 8-)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

dolk wrote:Izhevsk762,
You're supposed to stick one of these up.............. :worthless:

under the smilies is "View more smilies"
:lol: :lol:

Dolk
I'm digging the CGN surplus smilies :biggrin:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
hillmillenia

Post by hillmillenia »

Thanks guys...I brought her into work today, kind of a "show and tell" fortunately firearms are encouraged 'round these parts so it's not unusual to open a drawer and find a pistol tucked in there...most the folks around here are LE so safety is paramount...'cept for them ricochets...so now I'm looking at a good cleaning and if I read right, I should seperate the action from the stock and use boiling water, hoppes, lube it up properly and a good citrus wood cleaner for the stock. That's the plan and now I find myself looking at other models...M44 etc. I am a shooter not a collector so I avoid the wall hangers as it were. but then again, these are so reasonably priced it's hard to resist... :brolleyes:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

hillmillenia wrote:I am a shooter not a collector so I avoid the wall hangers as it were. but then again, these are so reasonably priced it's hard to resist... :brolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's what he says now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heck, none of us are photographers (I don't think). If it's not totally blurry, it's a good photo! :bwink:

That's an excellent photo! and very nice rifle! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Get a shot of the barrel shank with all the writing on it!

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Shooter not a collector. Those words sound like many others in the Mosinitis 12 step program! Mosinitis, Milsurpitis, all the same thing. Nice rifle, nice picture, even a nice shooters rest. Welcome to a fun new world and get that m44- you'll be so glad you did.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice rifle, get the M44. You will be glad you did. They are a hoot to shoot. And then get ya a 38, and then get ya some Finns. But of course then you will need....how big can one post be???? :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:Nice rifle, get the M44. You will be glad you did.
+1 I have a variety of Mosins, but I find my 1946 M44 gets shot the most.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

She's a beaut....But she has many sisters and they do work well in pairs :biggrin: :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Usually these old girls have "Country Cousins" Finns, Poles, Chinese, Germans................
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

and even though they're older women,I LIKES ME SOME OLDER WOMEN
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

DID you say 5.56 to the leg? Really? You OK? JGC
hillmillenia

Post by hillmillenia »

Old post but yes, in 2011 I was at a friends shooting AR's at a steel plate at much too close a range...3 of us and yours truly catches a ricochet to the shin...Doc said it'd work it's way out over time...and May 7th of this year was it...I posted to "extraction" to youtube, surgery performed by my wife after about 5 years. [bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fuKtH2RWwk[/bbvideo]
B24

Post by B24 »

hillmillenia wrote:Old post but yes, in 2011 I was at a friends shooting AR's at a steel plate at much too close a range...3 of us and yours truly catches a ricochet to the shin...Doc said it'd work it's way out over time...and May 7th of this year was it...I posted to "extraction" to youtube, surgery performed by my wife after about 5 years. [bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fuKtH2RWwk[/bbvideo]
Ouch! Good deal on the update, now tell us about all those Mosins you have aquired since 2011. You should have
at least 15 to 20 by now.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You were how close? ? Shooting .22 pistols at steel one a round went whrrrr inches from my head, 50 ft. I yelled whoa stop. We need to angle the target. I also got hit by .223 shrapnel at 25 yd. one time. just small pieces. Back it on up. :facepalm1:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"