Trigger Slop / Play

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
angelsfanbp

Trigger Slop / Play

Post by angelsfanbp »

I know this is a big issue with most M91/30s. When uncocked my M91 has about 1/2 of travel/looseness. When cocked it decreases to about 1/4" or travel/looseness. What are peoples solutions for this? I know of the trigger pin spring (I like that t does not compromise the integrity of the safety of the rifle) but are there other solutions? If I am not mistaken it is the sear that warps/bends/loses tension over all the years? Can a gunsmith adjust the sear tension without compromising safety? Thanks for any help!!!
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
http://www.RifleGuru.com How To Videos
1937 Izhevsk M91/30 Round
1939 Tula M91/30 Ex Sniper
desdem12

Re: Trigger Slop / Play

Post by desdem12 »

Each gun has a different trigger pull it seems and some are worse then others. Some peop;e usr the finninsh springs or there are aftermarket springs but i just use as is. Part of the fun at the range i guess. Welcome to the forum. :alien:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You need to get a trigger return spring for it. I put one on mine and it took all of the play out of the trigger makes it like a 2stage trigger setup very nice. Cheers!
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

i like mine so i just use it as is idk if you could fix it i see 2 thing on that might work but i have not tryed them. oh and wlecome to the forum angelsfanbp
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom (George S. Patton)
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Reality is that most folks do not need a lighter trigger pull on a milsurp rifle. Extended range time with a particular rifle will bring the shooter into familiarity with that rifles trigger, be it long travel or a heavy break. Shoot enough diffrent milsurps rifles with various types of trigger peculiarities and you will be able to adapt better to each one over time.

Now if you have one particular rifle you are using for milsurp competition, it would not hurt to lightly debur and stone the contact points of the trigger and sear to help with those offhand shots, but unless you know exactly what your doing, have a qualified gunsmith do the work.

Shoot a few hundred to a couple thosand rounds and you will most likely polish it out any way.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

Sgt. Rob - I'm not looking for a "crisper" or lighter trigger pull - the issue is the free movement in the trigger - just wondering how others have handled it...via the trigger pin spring or other ways I haven't heard of yet.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.” Thomas Jefferson
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

If the trigger has play/slop from side to side you might check the trigger pivot pin to see if it is worn or corroded. I had one that was pretty loose and I ended up making a new pin out of a drill bit shaft and it is smoooooth now! :)

If your only issue is excessive slack or take-up, then getting one of the helical torsion springs like the Finns used on the M28 is a real easy fix.

PS - I miss the Springs... my wife used to live near Palmer Park and Powers ;)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I understand what you are talking about, I have several that the trigger has a lot of free movement with no friction at all, before engagement. I thought about using one of the after-market coil springs to fix it but I have never done anything about it. If I were a more serious shooter I think the slack would drive me to distraction.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is what I have been waiting to hear. Distraction. That may be the only real problem that you are having. A perception that it is a problem therefore it becomes a distraction. I am not sure it is really even a problem. I have mosins with the slack and some of my Finns are slack-free and I do like it better without the slack. My personal preference.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Is the slack we are talking about a two stage military trigger?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Is the slack we are talking about a two stage military trigger?
No, this is moving the rifle to a vertical position and watching the trigger move 1/2". You could shake it back and forth and watch the trigger move.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

I went ahead and ordered the trigger pin slack spring from ebay. Figured for less than $10 it doesn't compromise safety or the integrity of the rifle. It I don't like it I can always put it back to stock. I will post a link to before and after videos in a few days when I get it! Thanks for the comments.
Longview

Post by Longview »

I put one of those trigger spring on a M-38 that had a trigger that'd rattle when the rifle was shaken (bet others have seen the same thing). It feels better with some back pressure, but doesn't do anything to make the break more 'crisp'. On most of my Mosins, the bolt moves a little when I get close to break. A bit distracting at first, having that bolt move in front of your nose, but gives you warning that takes the SURPRISE! :beek: out of the shot. I'm told that when squeezing the trigger the shot should surprise you when done right, but I like the small feedback the bolt gives me.
~Longview
"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." - Eric Hoffer
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

I dont mind the heavy trigger on the m91/30. My only problem is the free play in the trigger....the slack spring should fix that
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

A Mosin and a trigger with too much slack......just get another Mosin. Unless the rifle belonged to Stalin himself is it worth it, these are old military rifles, and the saying don't fix it if it aint broke comes into play here. I appreciate you wanting to have the best rifle that can be had it's just that well....these are 70 year old military rifles that probably did not have the best trigger pull to begin with. keep collecting and obtaining examples, you'll find a good shooter in the bunch.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I handled the problem by buying an M39 Finn, Most Finn built Mosins have trigger modifications that make them more than a step above what is found in most Soviet refurbs. Military bolt gun triggers you just get used to in time and tens of thousands of rounds fired.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I put a slack spring on my 91/30, but it also forced the trigger to one side, where it rubbed on the frame, which prevented it from going all the way forward. I just took the spring off and tossed it into my tool bag, I didn't want anything on there that interfered with the normal movement. I plan on taking a closer look at the trigger and pin later on to see if it's worn, which would explain the binding.
angelsfanbp

Post by angelsfanbp »

I got my slack spring in today and after about 5 minutes had it installed....it's not as strong of a spring as I would have liked but it keeps it from "jangling" around every time I pick up the rifle! All in all $5 well spent. I'm picking up my 2nd Mosin Nagant on Monday!!! A hex receiver!!! I get first dibs on the crate so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for something good!!!