Couple of M1 Carbines

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BuckeyeSgt

Couple of M1 Carbines

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Howdy gang. Been a while since I’ve been on. 2022 was a horror show but 2023 has been a lot better. Anyways I always wanted one of these since gramps carried one in WW2. Put out a WTB ad on tx guntrader. Got the Standard first and the rearsenaled Underwood and a bunch of extras for a price too good to pass up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Couple of M1 Carbines

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

War babys are always popular, I know some who have had a lot of difficulty finding them, and had to pay high prices when they did. Very nice finds :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

That is one rifle that is on my wishlist, that has eluded me thus far. Local dealer/milsurp collector has a safe queen one for $2500.00, I'm talking a sweet looking one, don't know if it's Arsensl Original or Refurbished but everything is 100% correct on it and in pristine condition. Other than that, they seem to be few and far between around here.

Looks like you picked up a couple sweet ones there, and yes I'm man enough to admit, I'm jealous as hell.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

ffuries wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:39 pm That is one rifle that is on my wishlist, that has eluded me thus far. Local dealer/milsurp collector has a safe queen one for $2500.00, I'm talking a sweet looking one, don't know if it's Arsensl Original or Refurbished but everything is 100% correct on it and in pristine condition. Other than that, they seem to be few and far between around here.

Looks like you picked up a couple sweet ones there, and yes I'm man enough to admit, I'm jealous as hell.
The standard I had to drive to Wichita Falls for. Guy had a pretty good collection and let me pick. My future father in law has two complete with the full setup. Bags and everything. They are pristine.

On the plus side of the trip I stopped at a museum that has the largest private arty collection. Guess I should do a separate post on that.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:55 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:39 pm That is one rifle that is on my wishlist, that has eluded me thus far. Local dealer/milsurp collector has a safe queen one for $2500.00, I'm talking a sweet looking one, don't know if it's Arsensl Original or Refurbished but everything is 100% correct on it and in pristine condition. Other than that, they seem to be few and far between around here.

The standard I had to drive to Wichita Falls for. Guy had a pretty good collection and let me pick. My future father in law has two complete with the full setup. Bags and everything. They are pristine.

On the plus side of the trip I stopped at a museum that has the largest private arty collection. Guess I should do a separate post on that.
Ooh, big guns! Yeah you need to do a post with lots of pictures.....!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

ffuries wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:48 pm

Put them in the hobby section
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:49 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:48 pm

Put them in the hobby section
Just saw and drooled......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am amazed at how high the prices on these have gone. Most expensive M1 carbine I own isn't even the real thing, but rather a nice reproduction. I already had a small collection of original GI carbines when I spotted the Universal at a flea market in the mid 90's. This was one of the good true to original design early Universals, not the oddball one they made later with the metal handguard, and crap design gas system. I hesitated and made another round of the flea market and only after not finding anything original milsurp did I plop down $250 for it. That was the most I ever spent on any carbine including the Inland M1A1, but that one is another story.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I got a decent deal in todays market on the Standard. Got a really good deal on the Underwood with all the mags and over 400 rounds. The ones my future FIL has were bought years ago. I think he said $89 or so.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

That's a great looking rifle! Thank you for sharing. I'm glad to hear that 2023 has been better for you!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

war Babys were aways popular, that's why they were being reproduced as early as the 1950's, but I never envisioned the prices reaching what we see today. if I had there would be cases of them stashed away by me and i would be smiling every time someone mentioned wanting to buy one. these things are eclipsing the cost of the m1 rifle, and 1903 in some cases. i like the m1 carbine, but not twenty five hundred bucks like. that's more than I paid for my entire m1 Garand collection back in the late 80's and early 90's.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I carried my Inland war baby to my deer stand two days ago, I didn't use it but it wasn't bad on a 6 mile jaunt.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Big Coulee

Post by Big Coulee »

Yeah, the prices being asked for M1 Carbines in today's market goes beyond all reason. I have three original G.I. M1's and I think those three are all I'll ever buy. A Std. Prod. was the first one, an Inland was the second and a Saginaw S.G. was the third. I reload for the Inland (my shooter) and it fires and functions very well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A friend of mine in West Virginia was offering over two grand and kept being outbid over and over again. I thought a hundred fifty bucks was a lot for one back in '90. Inland, Saginaw, Underwood, two of Inland and Underwood one of the Inlands being the M1A1 paratrooper model. At todays prices these will be the only ones I ever own.
Theodore Roosevelt
Big Coulee

Post by Big Coulee »

Junk Yard Dog ----- My three M1 carbines are Inland, Saginaw & Standard Prod. Yes, I remember the days when $150 could buy almost any M1 on the table but we'll never see that again. I'd like to have an original M1A1 but not at today's prices. So I picked up a repro. M1A1 stock and mounted it on my Inland carbine. It looks good but I'm not trying to fool anyone. Like yourself these three will be the only ones I'll ever own.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Even the repops are crazy money now. I have a Universal carbine, one without the odd gas system and metal handguard. That one is likely over a grand now also.
Theodore Roosevelt
Big Coulee

Post by Big Coulee »

I've never fired a Universal Carbine. How does yours shoot, or do you fire it?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Big Coulee wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:02 pm I've never fired a Universal Carbine. How does yours shoot, or do you fire it?
It shoots just like any other M1 carbine, it's just not made for Uncle Sam. The design of mine is true to the original carbines, later on Universal would alter the gas system, and I found that version prone to jamming and stove piping, that one also had a steel handguard that could get unpleasantly hot after prolonged firing. I sold off that later type. I fired all my carbines many times back when ammo was coming in from South Korea and could be had much cheaper than now.
Theodore Roosevelt