First Mosins

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: First Mosins

Post by bunkysdad »

brownwater those are very nice, and it's nice to have you here with us.
MoSEEN.Nut

Post by MoSEEN.Nut »

Yes it was a Big 5 on sale. Actually went in to get the oldest his first gun (Ruger 10/22) for an early Christmas present a few years back. I spotted this long barrel battle rifle on sale and it caught my eye including the price tag, $79 or $89 with accessories. I had no clue what it was so went home and hit the internet. That's when I learned a little about MN's. Went back and after going through a few boxes I picked the 1935 Tula, laminated stock, all matching. The guy says they are more desirable. Can't figure if that was a mistake or not. We both now are into not only MN's but other C&R. Can't seem to get enough and it's really wearing and tearing on my wallet. Oh well, here is my first one. I really do like it, and it wasn't the last Big 5 to come home.
Full Right.jpg
BarRcvr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Brownwater wrote:You'll have to excuse my messy workbench.....Another Mosin 91/30
MY 1ST 9130 MARKINGS.JPG
DSCF3948.JPG
DSCF3949.JPG
At least you can see your workbench. I can't even get to mine right now. I have to clean my stuff either in the back yard or the family room. All the stuff that got "stashed" in my work room came from a project "SWMBO" started so at least I'm safe there.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

Brownwater wrote:You'll have to excuse my messy workbench.....Another Mosin 91/30
What's the receiver date on your 91/30? A 43 receiver would've been high wall, and yours is a low wall. Is it late 30s?
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
bueller

Post by bueller »

Here are some pictures of mine. I honestly don't know what I have but I fell in love with her!

(I tried to get the markings, dunno how they turned out)

"It doesn't matter what you do for sever bleeding, eventually it will stop"

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!!
==K.T.==

Post by ==K.T.== »

Well, I guess this is where I show off my Mosin, post pics and say what it is. However, since I don't know what it is, and I'm too tired of dealing with this camera to show off, all you get is the standard side view and receiver top-down.

My apologies for this one. Camera wouldn't give a live view, and I could not get good lighting. The full serial number looks like 3B9478, but it looks like the stamps weren't aimed right when they did it. The pic does show some markings I'm worried about, though.

Any identification would be nice, so I know what to brag about at the range. :mrgreen:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You are being modest. Your pictures look real nice to me. You have my first rifle. A 1943 Izhevsk that has been refurbished to beautiful condition. Welcome to the forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

OK,
Here are a couple of web pages (here on this website) that will help "you" ID some items on your rifles. We like for the new beginner to ID these marks if possible, but if you can't, you can always ask us here.

New owners ID page
information/new_owner_ID/index.html

FAQ about Mosin Rifles
information/faq/index.html

I suggest you start reading on these rifle here, but there are other sites that are excellent.
information/faq/index.html

We are still working on these pages and your input is very helpful.

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have a Soviet M1891/30 Infantry rifle made in 1943 at Izhevsk Arsenal in Russia, it has what we call the wartime expedient finish, the rough machined look on the receiver. The final finishing was omitted to speed up production during a time when the USSR and Nazi Germany were going head to head at places like Kursk and the need for rifles was critical. After WW2 the USSR had the rifle refurbished in the Ukraine, and placed into storage. The idea was to use the refurbished rifles to arm the Soviet people in the event the west invaded, a war that never came. There is a lot of blood soaked history packed into that rifle.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bueller

Post by bueller »

Junk yard dog which rifle were you referring to?

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bueller,
He is referring to KT's rifle. Yours is the same except it is a 1942 Izhevsk Arsenal made. One year earlier.

Dolk
Sportsmedic

Post by Sportsmedic »

We set aside the m1, 7.7 japanese, and Brit Enfield mk 3 to do some serious shooting ;).

1938 Tula far right and two 1937 Izzies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Fleming
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

klibben wrote:Not a very good pic, but a 1939 Izhevsk. Run of the mill Ukranian Refurb, $80 out the door with all the accessories (a bonus, didn't know I got them until I got home and opened the box!) Shot one round through it and both my friends asked if I would take them to get one the next day... 3 years later and I've popped about 30 peoples gun cherries and helped another 10 or so find their first guns.

Klibben, forget the guns, what is that boat model to the right. I hope that is not what I think it is. (damn Yankees) :D
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Klibben, forget the guns, what is that boat model to the right. I hope that is not what I think it is. (damn Yankees) :D
Looks like the USS Monitor....

Next he should build the CSS Virginia, and have an epic duel between them :D
bueller

Re: First Mosins (Sticky)

Post by bueller »

Wow guys thanks! Pretty awesome to find out a little bit of the history!

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: First Mosins (Sticky)

Post by Darryl »

I'm all turned around today! :oops:

Bueller has a 1942 and KT has the 1943. Duh!

Germans went into Russia in 1942 and was exiting in 1943. If I remember right (today!). That caused The Tula plant to ship everything to the Izhevsk Arsenal because it was too close for comfort. Izhevsk Arsenal had to do more and faster to keep up. (I think! :oops: )

Dolk
==K.T.==

Post by ==K.T.== »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You have a Soviet M1891/30 Infantry rifle made in 1943 at Izhevsk Arsenal in Russia, it has what we call the wartime expedient finish, the rough machined look on the receiver. The final finishing was omitted to speed up production during a time when the USSR and Nazi Germany were going head to head at places like Kursk and the need for rifles was critical. After WW2 the USSR had the rifle refurbished in the Ukraine, and placed into storage. The idea was to use the refurbished rifles to arm the Soviet people in the event the west invaded, a war that never came. There is a lot of blood soaked history packed into that rifle.
That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I already smile every time I think about this rifle, and this just adds to the bit of pride it gives me.

I do have a few questions, and I'm not quite sure where to put them so I guess I'll ask here;
1. What is the proper way to put on and take off the bayonet? It's very cool to have on there, but it's kind of hard to store and move a five and half foot long rifle.

2. I'll admit I might have made a mistake but taking it almost straight to the range after picking it up from the pawn shop. The idea of taking it to a gunsmith never crossed my mind, though I will be taking it to one tomorrow. While the rifle fired very well, the top of the forestock kept sliding forward with each shot. I had to slide it and the rear barrel band back into place every few shots. I'm used to inheriting a few problems whenever I get something with a bit of age, much less 68 years of it, but I have to ask, is this a major problem, and what can I do to fix it?

3. My rifle came with a cleaning kit, but I'll admit I have no idea how to use it. I know the basics like running a wet patches through the barrel, then dry, then a light coat of oil, but there are a few bits in this kit that have me stumped.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The cleaning kit you got with the rifle is a good display item, forget about using it, all it will do is cause wear to important parts of your bore. Go to Wallmart. or your local gun shop and get a modern .30 rifle cleaning kit. I would recommend a Tipton, or Dewey one piece cleaning rod from Graf's or Midway as they are easier to use. The importers for the most part make no effort to match the rifles with their numbered bayonets when they pull them out of the crates and sell them, because of this your bayonet is probably tight to put on, or maybe you can't get it on the weapon at all. If so you will have to have it fitted by a gunsmith, or just set it aside and one day maybe you will meet up with other 91/30 owners with the same problem and you can mix and match bayonets. I was collecting the 91/30 year by year, for each arsenal, that left me with a big pile of bayonets to swap around and only that way did I match most of my rifles with a bayonet that would fit.
You fired the rifle and didn't blow up, a good indication the headspace is probably fine, but get the Okie gauge anyway, just click the banner at the top of the page, this way you have it for the next Mosin you buy, it comes with instructions that are easy to follow. The handguard is moving because the band springs are not holding, replacments are not hard to find, they remove with a tiny punch from the left side of the stock, it is possible to bend band springs so they hold, but if they are the older ones they will probably just snap. The wartime, and post war pressed steel band springs hold better, and are easier to find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
CrackPot

Post by CrackPot »

My first. Still have not cleaned post purchase. Wanted to grab pictures before I did anything
Mosin1.jpg
Mosin2.jpg
Mosin3.jpg
Mosin4.jpg
Mosin5.jpg
Mosin6.jpg
Mosin7.jpg
Mosin8.jpg
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

32 Tula, nice!