Mosin French Receiver re-check

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Angry_grey_cat

Mosin French Receiver re-check

Post by Angry_grey_cat »

Hi there, many years ago I got hold of which was at the time my first M24.
I managed to identify what I thought was a French receiver. Since times have moved on and perhaps more info has come to light, I wanted to check if this is still regarded as an early French M91 receiver. I only have two pictures as I let the rifle go (Mr idiot here).

It appears to be an L in a circle. I also found the same marking on a French gun (can't remember what).
Could this be a stamp from Lt.Colonel Arthur Langlois ?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Mosin French Receiver re-check

Post by Darryl »

Can we see the rest of the rifle?

Darryl
Angry_grey_cat

Post by Angry_grey_cat »

Dug some old advert photos as I moved the rifle on some time ago (I imported this from the US, and would buy back now in heartbeat)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angry_grey_cat

Post by Angry_grey_cat »

Am i still right to believe this is a French receiver?
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Je ne sais pas
Mosin Fanboy
yarik_jar

Post by yarik_jar »

Yes, it’s chatellerault
Angry_grey_cat

Post by Angry_grey_cat »

yarik_jar wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am Yes, it’s chatellerault
Thanks, do you know if there are any other references to how this is confirmed please ?
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Angry_grey_cat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:40 am
yarik_jar wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:35 am Yes, it’s chatellerault
Thanks, do you know if there are any other references to how this is confirmed please ?
Chatellerault receiver should have a shield stamp on it somewhere. All that I've seen have had smoother finishing work than any other Mosin receiver manufacturers. I know 1894 and 95 had dates. So, if yours was Chatellerault, it would likely be 93 or 92. So, it could possibly have (what is referred to as) a grease hole. Regardless, it should have a shield stamp (for lack of better term) on it somewhere if Chatellerault
Mosin Fanboy
Angry_grey_cat

Post by Angry_grey_cat »

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking back then (and now) that the circle L on the tang is from the Directeur de Manufacture for chatellerault
yarik_jar

Post by yarik_jar »

There were different versions of the mark, but it’s still the manufacturer - Chatellerault.