Finnish M91 in M91/30 laminate stock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
gavinmastervick

Finnish M91 in M91/30 laminate stock?

Post by gavinmastervick »

Hey all,
In my spare time I’ve been cruising these forums as well as online gun posts. Found an interesting posting for a really nice condition Finnish M91 (receiver allegedly dated 1916, barrel stamped VKT 1940), lots of Finnish force matched stampings on the bolt etc.. What doesn’t add up is that it is in an M91/30 laminate stock. I won’t claim to be knowledgeable at all, but could this be authentic?
How did Finnish refurbishment go? From my research, they would add their own barrels to existing Russian receivers, match other Russian components to the barrel serial number, modify triggers and shim stocks, etc.. Could it be possible they would furnish it with a laminate stock off the line, and how could the stock be proven to be authentic?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Finnish M91 in M91/30 laminate stock?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I suppose if they captured a rifle from the Soviets during the later part of the continuation war they might have gotten a Soviet laminated stock. I don't recall hearing that the Finn's made their own laminated stocks given the huge number of Soviet weapons captured between 1939-1944. I also don't recall hearing of any laminated M91 stocks being made by the Soviets, just M44 and M91/30 with M44 stocks being used on the M38 as well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gavinmastervick

I suppose anything is possible. Could there be a stamp on the stock or other tell tale signs it’s original? My thought train now is that Finnish barrels were 91/30 length hence the stock. It seems improper to throw a 91 in an incorrect stock.
How long were the Finnish barrels?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It sounds like someone replaced a missing M91 stock with what they could find.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Soviet laminate 91/30 stocks weren't a thing until the 50s. So someone had a sporterized Finn m91 or a barrelled action and stuck in a refurb stock. Finn M91 stocks and handguards are hard to find and are really expensive.

VKT M91 barrels are about 3 inches longer than a 91/30 barrel.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
gavinmastervick

I see! I appreciate the response, guy confirmed it’s an unoriginal stock to the barrel/receiver. Which is too bad.
I see, so did the Finnish start making 91/30 length barrels once they started receiving 91/30s? Interesting to me that the barrel is stamped 1940, when 91/30 technology was available. Perhaps they decided not to mess with the recipe and match appropriate barrel lengths to their 91 receivers.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The full length m91 was the most common rifle in Finn service, so there were lots of those needing repair and replacement. It was easier to restart production of those in 1940 than introduce another new model at that time. (The m39 was already in the pipeline) Stocks were already being made and repaired, tons of barrel bands etc around instead of making a new type. That sort of thing. Later on in 43 when m91 production was stopping enough 91/30s had been captured it made more sense to start producing the handier m30 (91/30) model. Even then, it seems that a lot of the Finn version of the 91/30 weren't assembled until postwar even though the barrels were made during the conflict.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.