Why sling slots instead of swivels?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
kupMosina

Why sling slots instead of swivels?

Post by kupMosina »

Hi, do you have historical info or assumption why they have made sling slots instead of sling swivels like in all other rifles? I know in M91 they made swivel sling, but in dragoons, cossacks sling slots and later they introduced it in all types.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why sling slots instead of swivels?

Post by millman »

I would imagine because it was cheaper.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

millman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:44 am I would imagine because it was cheaper.
I'm going to agree with this. Russians are cheap. They seem to choose function and they don't care about comfort. I'd guess it was cheaper to replace a broken leather dog collar than a broken sling swivel.
Mosin Fanboy
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

They were a carryover from the Berdan 2 dragoon and Cossack rifles, probably easier to make and cheaper, maybe more flexible for mounted troops as you can slide the sling from the bottom to the side with the collars? Just guessing though.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.